Where will it end ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by hobbit, Jul 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shoppers step over, video, dying woman
    Wednesday Jul 4 08:27 AEST
    AP - As a stabbing victim lay dying on the floor of a Kansas convenience store, five shoppers, including one who stopped to take a picture of her with a cell phone, stepped over the woman, police in the US state said.
    The June 23 incident, captured on a store surveillance video, received scant news coverage until a columnist for The Wichita Eagle on Tuesday disclosed the existence of the video and its contents.
    Police have repeatedly refused to release the video, saying it is part of their investigation.
    "It was tragic to watch," police spokesman Gordon Bassham said. "The fact that people were more interested in taking a picture with a cell phone and shopping for snacks rather than helping this innocent young woman is, frankly, revolting."
    LaShanda Calloway was stabbed during a fight at the store, but it was not part of a robbery, Bassham said. It took about two minutes for someone to call police to report the crime, he said.
    Calloway, 27, died at a hospital from her injuries.
    "The lack of concern for humanity over this young woman's life is deeply troubling," Bassham said.
    Bassham said the district attorney's office would have to decide whether any of the shoppers could be charged.
    It was uncertain what law, if any, would be applicable. A state statute for failure to render aid specifically refers only to victims of a car accident.
    Two suspects have been arrested in the stabbing. Cherish M McCullough, 19, was charged with first-degree murder.
    Another suspect, who turned himself in a few days later, had not yet been charged on Tuesday, according to the Sedgwick County prosecutor's office.
    Eagle columnist Mark McCormick said he learned about the video when he called Wichita Police Chief Norman Williams to ask about a phone call he had received from a reader complaining about a Police Department policy that requires emergency medical personnel to wait until police secure a crime scene before rendering aid.
    "This is just appalling," Williams told the newspaper.
    "I could continue shopping and not render aid and then take time out to take a picture? That's crazy. What happened to our respect for life?"

2. It could very easily have happened in this country. To coin a phrase "we are all doomed"..

Have a nice day

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

This might have something to do with peoples fear of being sued...OK taking photos was sick but, a lot of people just wont get involved now because they know the ambulance chasers will be after them.

Hasn't there been a case of off duty docters and nurses getting shafted by lawyers for trying to help?

4. This is the problem in the USA I understand and , unfortunately , it's spreading , f*****g lawyers again , bloodsuckers ,

5. Had a similar case a few years back in a small market town on market day,During a caridac arrest an old dear asked me to move as she wanted to get something off a stall just as I was about to shock the patient.
    The other disturbing thing was I spotted a local GP in the crowd who looked away then walked away without offering to help.
    The patient died and turned out to be that Gp's patient as well.
    The mind boggles!

6. In the NAFFI cue on Fife at stand easy, bloke collapses in cue and everyone steps over him as they want their nutty. :tongue8:

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, Stand Easy IS only 15 minutes... :twisted:

8. And it was the Killick Crusher!

9. Would love to know what 'wants there nutty' got to do with CPR? It's not the killock crusher who has to deal with it. It's us the NHS, remember us? All us bombers? I'm obviously joking but, what we do can save the yet of you? There are alot of good people on the NHS doing there best to make sure you and your family are alive??

10. Another similar episode a few years ago at a petrol station where an old boy had hit the accelerator instead of the brake and put a young woman through a wall which severely injured her and ultimately killed her. My colleagues who were there described how people were stepping over the body whilst they were working on her to pay for their fuel.

When the lady was taken away her kids were sitting in the car waving at the helicopter never to see their mother again. Dont know about you but it brings a tear to my eyes and i'm not sure i could have composed myself with the public and their general attitude.

NB

11. sgtpepperband

:yawn:

12. sgtpepperband

Another recent incident of the woman knocked down by a truck at a crossing on London Road/Kingston Road in Pompey. She managed to throw her kids out of the way, but was run down herself. Eyewitnesses reported seeing passers by filming it on their mobile telephones, hindering good samaritans and emergency services from attending to the injured woman, who subsequently died of her injuries. :evil:

13. Nutty Bag? You know what you do every day. As do I. Sorry we bit grumpier cos on night duty. If you want to feel sorry than nobody can blame you. But I know I make a difference!!

14. I agree mate, and you do a stirling job, would never doubt you. It can be a bit different seeing an incident first hand though. Bodies underneath arctics, murders, etc so it sometimes leaves me a bit numbed at human nature.

Good to see you about on here again. xxx

15. The YouTube generation!
    It stinks but honestly what can we expect these days. People that will run to and incident that they've seen (to help) are becoming rarer and rarer, whilst those vultures are sadly becoming more prevailent.

16. And yet another one! woman collapses at Victoria Station, medic working on her (cardiac arrest), bloke steps over her because -as he told the police I might miss my train if I go round! The Police (good on them) kept the scroat talking so he DID miss his train!!

17. Young lad at college in Cheshire has epi fit he is taken away on stretcher delayed while all the knobs take his pic. All girls giggling what fun!!

How many times has a bystander had there belongings stolen while attending to a casualty.

Then we have the contractor heart attack we are doing all the necessary the foreman shouts to drag him out the way he is near the emergency coal reclaim grids the station needs coaling. He had his ass kicked for that the poor soul died.

Young girl in Dublin has her face slapped severely while Mr Hardcase mates use phone cam it is later on Youtube with thousands of hits. Poor girl is so depressed! Now if that was Singapore!!

18. I do not know if your quest is genuine, but the explanation would be

It would not matter if someone was dying,when you are in the queue for the chocolate, nutty comes before all else :)

It was the killick crusher, makes it even better, as it was him lying on the deck, so a double whammy, no one would pish on a killick crusher if he were on fire

Got nutty and rid of the crusher at the same time "jobs a good un"

19. Honestly don't know how you do it. I have the greatest admiration.
    Recently I was carted off in an ambulance (kidney stones) and the blokes were so professional and matter of fact polite.
    I wrote to the head of the ambulance service and hope the message got through.
    My younger brother though is a police officer and I reckon some of the stuff he sees/has to deal with, has affected him, especially now he is not a youngster.