Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will I be based? (FAA)

jm9.53

Hello all,

My first post here so apologies if it's in the wrong place, and if I'm using any incorrect lingo. I have searched the forums for an answer but am struggling to find one. I've spent the afternoon reading through the forums and have already got a load of new info to help with my decision, so thanks all for that.

I am very interested in applying for FAA pilot (rotary). I appreciate that when at sea I could be anywhere in the world, but what about the rest of the year (is the term "alongside"?)? I understand the two FAA bases are Yeovilton and Culdrose, but is there any way of knowing which it would likely be initially (or indeed if it was somewhere else entirely)?

Also (this might be a daft question), are there different arrangements for living on and off base?

Background: I currently work in construction but due to coronavirus and my position within my firm I am expecting to be high on the list if redundancies are made, but this would likely be a blessing as I don't really enjoy my job, and pilot has always been my dream career. I currently live in Plymouth with my fiancé, so a move down to Culdrose would be very doable for us, and Yeovilton would also work as she already has relatives in Somerset, so in either case we would hope to buy a house and live together when I'm not at sea.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Hello all,

My first post here so apologies if it's in the wrong place, and if I'm using any incorrect lingo. I have searched the forums for an answer but am struggling to find one. I've spent the afternoon reading through the forums and have already got a load of new info to help with my decision, so thanks all for that.

I am very interested in applying for FAA pilot (rotary). I appreciate that when at sea I could be anywhere in the world, but what about the rest of the year (is the term "alongside"?)? I understand the two FAA bases are Yeovilton and Culdrose, but is there any way of knowing which it would likely be initially (or indeed if it was somewhere else entirely)?

Also (this might be a daft question), are there different arrangements for living on and off base?

Background: I currently work in construction but due to coronavirus and my position within my firm I am expecting to be high on the list if redundancies are made, but this would likely be a blessing as I don't really enjoy my job, and pilot has always been my dream career. I currently live in Plymouth with my fiancé, so a move down to Culdrose would be very doable for us, and Yeovilton would also work as she already has relatives in Somerset, so in either case we would hope to buy a house and live together when I'm not at sea.
@Drafty??

To be fair, these are the sort of questions you should know the answer to before even thinking of joining up and attending the AIB!

A quick google search would bring up all the answers and well as the RN website.

Waspie

War Hero
I don't think there is any definitive answer to your questions really.
You join the Navy and you basically go where they need you. Ashore and at sea.
You are correct in saying the two main rotary bases are VL and CU - But!!! To which one you would be based would be impossible to determine until very close to the end of your flying training. It rather depends on how you do - where you're needed and what posts are available.
As most things with the forces. Service comes first, your family life is secondary.
Good luck with your dream career. Many many hurdles to jump.Least of all the dreaded Aircrew Medical.

jm9.53

@Waspie thanks for the advice. Even if it is impossible to tell, it's always nice to be certain that there will be uncertainty!

As I understand it, the aviation medical comes after AIB - if you were to fail it, do you then have an opportunity to "select" or be considered for a different role? Seems like a waste of resources to spend on putting someone through AIB only for them to fail the aviation medical and then send them on their way.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
@Waspie thanks for the advice. Even if it is impossible to tell, it's always nice to be certain that there will be uncertainty!

As I understand it, the aviation medical comes after AIB - if you were to fail it, do you then have an opportunity to "select" or be considered for a different role? Seems like a waste of resources to spend on putting someone through AIB only for them to fail the aviation medical and then send them on their way.
Why??

Waspie

War Hero

Firstly, you can be certain of the uncertainty!!
As for the AIB and ACM, take that up with the powers that be!!
If you fail the medical you may still wish to remain in the Navy albeit not as a pilot!!! Choices.
You have to remember this isn't an official RN site so your going to get opinions and not facts.
Our @soleil is one of our contributors who will give more official guidance but in the first instance you really need to get advice from your careers advisor/officer. Then you will get your info straight from the horses mouth.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
D Where will I be based Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
alexissonice Where is it likely that I will based? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
A When do I find out where I will be based? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS Charity regulator issues Official Warning and Order against school where children were exposed to terrorist propaganda MoD News 0
huwshpis Where's Sumo? The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS Application of building regulations where additional storeys are provided to existing buildings: circular 03/2020 MoD News 0
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
MoD_RSS ARTEMIS - jHubMed delivering innovation right where it is needed MoD News 0
Q Where do I stand - Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
U Where can I find an address to send a reference to? RFA 2
P Where did we go? The Quarterdeck 9
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
T Posh CPO epaulettes- Where can I ware them? The Quarterdeck 30
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
B FMG Football Team - Where did we play? Bases / Shore Est 4
W Where does Phase 2 training take place for Catering service? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
C Where the Royal Navy is operating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Where to get new uniform items? RFA 10
Keithdwat579 Where can I find the 1973 TV Show 'Warship'? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Service personnel want greater choice on where they get to live MoD News 0
S where can I find World War Two D.S.M. citations? HMS Torbay Submariners 10
Stirlin I am a Precariat , where do you fit in ?. Diamond Lil's 25
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
W Where to send my papers, if at all? RFA 1
S Where does the RN stand with 'stress' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
drewfester Where can I hide?? Diamond Lil's 16
BillyNoMates Where the tough blokes live. Diamond Lil's 18
R Where people are joining from? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
Sputnick Where i am at the moment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
jesse Where be it to then? Diamond Lil's 4
dapperdunn Where's Wally? Current Affairs 5
Tomahawk Where might Trident go? Current Affairs 34
finknottle Where is he? Diamond Lil's 8
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12
SONAR-BENDER Where's my sock......... Diamond Lil's 6
M Does anyone know where I can order RN Name badges to be delivered in a hurry-Exeter? The Quarterdeck 11
J If not in Syria when and where are we prepared to fight? Current Affairs 44
LujonSA Where is: some random inconsequential poster... The Gash Barge 28
Pontius Where's RR? Diamond Lil's 23
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
S OFFICERS AND GENTLEMEN - RN OFFICER TRAINING DOCUMENTARY.. (where can I watch it?) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3
T Where to stay at Torpoint Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
K Pension - Havent got a clue - where to start???? Finance & Pensions 10