Where to stay at Torpoint

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tanter, May 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Mother wants to know if there is anywhere good to stay for my passing out. She doesn't want to end up in somewhere... not so nice

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's a good job 'TMF' lives in New Yoik (or is that Chicago?) and not Pointyheadland... :shock: :wink:

While Plymouth will give you more choice (with additional travel complications) there is a small selection in Torpoint, according to Trip Advisor:

Hotels in Torpoint | Compare 9 Torpoint Hotels | 157 Reviews and Photos | TripAdvisor

I would imagine they do a thriving trade with other families attending Passing Out Parades at HMS Raleigh, so I suggest booking early.

3. Tell her to stay in Plymouth, more to do when she's not attending your passing out.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. Mother will be sent a book with accommodation options. There are lot of B&B's in and around the Torpoint/Antony/St John area. I've got a spare tent and room in the shed if she is desperate.

5. See your instructor. I'm sure if he can't recommend anywhere he will tell you were to find out.

6. China fleet club if she can get in.

7. Whole family spent a week in Harbour House when my son passed out and made a holiday of the whole thing.

8. Saltash. Longish way by road. If not Torpoint Plymouth would be better.

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I'd go for Plymouth personally. As previously stated there's more for your folks to do and see on the other days that they're here and a greater choice of places to stay.

10. As an aside, the oddest thing I found about the whole experience, was that you have to pay to leave Cornwall.

11. Other way round when going to scotland isn't it? They offer you money don't they?

12. You don't pay to leave Cornwall if you go via the A30, bit of a roundabout way to get to the M5 though.