Where might Trident go?

Dr Nick Ritchie obviously doesn't know how to use wikipedia: D5s are not powered by "rocket fuel", they are solid propellant motors.

Prof William Walker also doesn't know what he's talking about - not a lot of "high explosive" in a D5 either.

But apart from that, a really well researched and accurate article....

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Hull. We could always put the warheads there. At the same time, after a short flight

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well, if you have to dredge Pompey for QE, and it's far enough away from civilisation and it has Z berths - why not base port them in Pompey and the weapons over in Gosport. They're moaning about wanting jobs - how badly?

They should stick them in Barrow. West Cumbria is already a radioactive shithole so the locals aren't gonna complain, they already have a submarine base there (of sorts) and the security facilities around the BAE yard are adequate as a base level to build on.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Boats in Falmouth with missiles resupplied etc by sea from Devonport seems give best clear access to the Atlantic.

I thought Falmouth was one of the original choices for bombers, due to sea access and cloud cover but ended up in Faslane, at the time Falmouth was a lot busier than it is today? Barrow has an issue with getting boats out to sea over the mud flats, only a few tides per month I think

I thought Falmouth was one of the original choices for bombers, due to sea access and cloud cover but ended up in Faslane, at the time Falmouth was a lot busier than it is today? Barrow has an issue with getting boats out to sea over the mud flats, only a few tides per year I think

Fixed that for you. Used to be the high tides few days after the Equinox for T boats and the Bombers have a deeper draft. A lot of dredging had to be done.

Last edited:
How about Milford Haven. It's a deep water port, plus some RN facilities already at Pembroke Dock. Brawdy site will be vacated by army in next two years. Missiles could be stored at old Trecwn mine depot nearby. Just a thought.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Miscellaneous 0
Shakey Blue Jokes 0
Jenny_Dabber The Quarterdeck 294