Where might Trident go?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Tomahawk, Jun 30, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dr Nick Ritchie obviously doesn't know how to use wikipedia: D5s are not powered by "rocket fuel", they are solid propellant motors.

Prof William Walker also doesn't know what he's talking about - not a lot of "high explosive" in a D5 either.

But apart from that, a really well researched and accurate article....

• Like Like x 4
  2. There's always Kings Lynn

• Like Like x 1
  3. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Hull. We could always put the warheads there. At the same time, after a short flight

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. If they left Faslane what would happen to the Imps?

5. Sadly the Imps has shut.

6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Well, if you have to dredge Pompey for QE, and it's far enough away from civilisation and it has Z berths - why not base port them in Pompey and the weapons over in Gosport. They're moaning about wanting jobs - how badly?

• Like Like x 2
  7. you could put the weapon packages in portsdown hill - there's already some bloody great holes there.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gosport sounds alright, Emma's has probably seen more toxic things.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Where might Trident go?

Probably Ukraine, the way things are going! :lurk:

10. They should stick them in Barrow. West Cumbria is already a radioactive shithole so the locals aren't gonna complain, they already have a submarine base there (of sorts) and the security facilities around the BAE yard are adequate as a base level to build on.

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Boats in Falmouth with missiles resupplied etc by sea from Devonport seems give best clear access to the Atlantic.

12. I thought Falmouth was one of the original choices for bombers, due to sea access and cloud cover but ended up in Faslane, at the time Falmouth was a lot busier than it is today? Barrow has an issue with getting boats out to sea over the mud flats, only a few tides per month I think

• Like Like x 1
  13. That's ok till the Cornish get independence.

14. Fixed that for you. Used to be the high tides few days after the Equinox for T boats and the Bombers have a deeper draft. A lot of dredging had to be done.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  15. How about Milford Haven. It's a deep water port, plus some RN facilities already at Pembroke Dock. Brawdy site will be vacated by army in next two years. Missiles could be stored at old Trecwn mine depot nearby. Just a thought.

16. I think you'll find that the sweatys will vote no and it will stay exactly where it is.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The RN facilities at Pembroke dock closed a few years ago. Trewcn closed in the early 1990s and is no longer part of the defence estate.

18. I've a feeling that even if the sweatys vote Yes it will still remain where it is for a considerable period of time - relocation would take 20+ years and cost many many billions!