Where is thingy?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Forseti, Mar 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi to you all. New member here and whilst scrolling around the forum came across a post by thingy in which he said what I have copied and pasted below. However, the post is several years old and thingy himself doesn't appear to have posted for several years, or at least under that name.
    Does anyone know whether this posting of the mags proceeded any further and if so where?

Without going into any great detail, I joined Ganges in November 1963 and having come from a broken home had no incentive at that time to keep accumulate and then keep hold of any memorabilia. Yes I know - bloody fool. Now, in my advancing years I am trying to fill in a lot of the blanks of my earlier years in the mob and would like to start off by ascertaining in which mess I was accommodated and my course number etc. Finding those two things out might, I say might, assist me on a further journey of discovery. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping that the Shotley mags may have contained some info in this regard or even a photo of myself.
    [h=2]Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in them?[/h]
    When I get my new scanner I will rescan then in and post them here.

2. He emigrated here: ROMFT- Seafarers Forum
  3. We're you accommodated in the short covered way or the long covered way, that way you can pin point what mess you were in.
    The seamen were accommodated in the long covered way. Have a photo of a typical mess deck circa 1964 if you want.
  4. He uses the handle AAC on ROMFT
  5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Tell him Wits would like him back one RumRation
  6. Thingy was also a walt as he later admitted. He never joined the mob, he was in the RNXS for a while. He posted under a few names on here (Seacat being one IIRC). His age on ROMFT is 49 so he couldn't have joined in 1963 anyway.

He does, however, have an obsession with Ganges.
  7. I was in the short covered way in 62. Half our mess were seamen the other S&S.
  8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Thingy's dead baby.

Thingy's dead.

Just out of interest, why do you want to know?
  9. For the reason given in my first post. :)
  10. The honest answer is that I can't remember. I remember that if you looked from the top end (mast end) of the parade ground it was off to the right a long way down on the left hand side. It memory does serve - it was the last block in the line because when I often looked out of one of the windows I was looking out onto the Admin office or whatever it was called. I joined as a Junior Seaman (JS2) but within a couple of days became a JRO2 as though by magic. Also, most of my mess mates were comms branch. Yes, would be very appreciative of a picture if you could upload it to a hosting site and then post or pm me a link. Thanks.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  11. I was agreenie and it was amixed greenie and S&S mess. I can't remember the mess number, we were near the top of the long covered way and in Fearless division (Nov 1973).
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Can anyone help. Looking for an ex submarine stoker by the name of Ivor Gwilt, served with him in the early 70's. I lost touch with him many many years ago. Any knowledge gratefully received, please PM me.