Where is HMS Enterprise?

D

Deleted 97779

Where is HMS Enterprise when Beirut desperately needs Royal Navy help. She has a captain --Cmd. Cecil Ladislaus --born in Gibraltar who would be ideal to help. Is she still in Limassol? It's all gone rather quiet.
Beirut is about 150 nautical miles from Limassol.
Has she arrived off Beirut? Does anyone know?

D

Deleted 97779

@fortgang , why don't you try a google search, or use AIS. She was in Limassol on the 1st of Aug.
Been there and done that. You're telling where HMS Enterprise was on the 1st august 2020
It is now the 8th august 2020 and, when I last looked she was languishing in Lmassol. Nice work if you can get it!
We assumed she would now be off Beirut. Something's gone wrong perhaps?

^HORLIX!!

Where is HMS Enterprise when Beirut desperately needs Royal Navy help. She has a captain --Cmd. Cecil Ladislaus --born in Gibraltar who would be ideal to help. Is she still in Limassol? It's all gone rather quiet.
Calm down and have a little patience, Chopper. Have you not seen this Official Release of 6 Aug 202??
(it was also reported by several News Agencies...) :

They are obviously making ready and expecting the Lebs/Brit Embassy to tell 'em exactly when their arrival will be needed.

<<... HMS Enterprise is currently docked in Limassol and will make her way to Lebanon in due course.

The UK is working with the Lebanese authorities to determine the optimum time for the ship’s deployment.

The UK Armed Forces is also deploying a small team to the UK Embassy in Beirut to help identify requirements and coordinate the package of wider support to the Lebanese Armed Forces. This includes the offer of tailored medical support, military air transport assistance and engineering and communications capabilities....>>

@fortgang - I don't know what your expectations are of this small survey vessel (Crewed with between 43 to 81 max* ) when they do get there but sources indicate their prime role will be to survey & investigate the best options for harbour clearance by others and thereby assist in creating safe navigational routes in/out & to/from suitable berths for the expected train of vessels likely to be bringing in much needed emergency supplies & aid. Owt else will be a bonus.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Enterprise_(H88)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Been there and done that. You're telling where HMS Enterprise was on the 1st august 2020
It is now the 8th august 2020 and, when I last looked she was languishing in Lmassol. Nice work if you can get it!
We assumed she would now be off Beirut. Something's gone wrong perhaps?
I know I'm telling you where she was last week, that's the last AIS update and as @BOOTWU has told you why she's still there your question has been answered

D

Deleted 97779

2019-A09-TV_Lebanon_Report.pdf
Lebanon navy with Italian help is quite capable of hydrographically clearing a safe passage for vessels into Beirut. Enterprise is needed for its medical and logistic help. A bit paltry I admit ,but if its the best MOD can do So be it. HMS Queen Elizabeth could well have provided comprehensive help. If only!

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Look where QE is and what her programme is.
At the moment her flight deck is covered with tents and scaffold.
This can be seen from outside the dockyard.

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
Mate, put your shovel down and stop digging:(

D

Deleted 97779

Enterprise is still alongside in limassol

As his patience for an ETA Beirut drains away perhaps Norman's attention could be diverted to another long-running saga involving an earlier 'Enterprise', albeit a flying version.

Where? ... on her port side in a depth of 84 m (276 ft) on the seabed of the western approaches to the English Channel.

Vid Clips-

WIKI Words -

Last edited:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember this as a boy, everyone was following the radio updates all the time, strange how some things grip the public s attention.

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
I remember this as a boy, everyone was following the radio updates all the time, strange how some things grip the public s attention.
Me too, I seem to remember it was on early TV and wasn't the skipper winched off with his dog by an early version of SAR?

D

Deleted 97779

Enterprise is still alongside in limassol
Enterprise is preparing "To boldly go" to Lebanon currently still alongside in Limassol as she appears to be having trouble with her survey motor boat. Spitfire. She is testing and calibrating it.

Last edited by a moderator:

kais58

Midshipman
Enterprise is preparing "To boldly go" to Lebanon currently still alongside in Limassol as she appears to be having trouble with her survey motor boat. Spitfire. She is testing and calibrating it.

3 hours for Limassol to Beirut by ship? Must be a record

^Aye - Limassol to Beirut = Circa 135nm, at WIKI Speed of 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph) = 9 hours

... but at a more sedate 13.5 Knots her passage time would have been nearer ten hours.

(one could assume that Customs on arrival were dispensed with)

Never mind - At least there's one RR happy bear-rooting now that she's arrived safely, eh Norman ? :ROLLS EYES:

Mackan2017

Badgeman
Dunno where she is now, but 4 years ago she was alongside in Corfu when I was there for a football tournament and I didn't even know that she was an RN ship! Saw her from a distance and could just about make out her pennant numbers, H88. Funny, I thought.....what sort of ship has H pennant numbers? "A" numbers were reserved for auxilliaries & survey ships when I was in the RN, I'd served on the Hecla (A133) so I was sure about that. Turns out that since I left the mob they've changed the colour of survey ships, and have allocated "H" (Hydrographic vessel) numbers. They're all grey now, due to some changes agreed in maritime law. Shows how out-of-date I've become!! :-(
Anyway, further into town I came across some of the ship's company in a (cough) bar (ahem) and got talking to them......good lads, a credit to the service. They'd visited the Commonwealth Graveyard at Corfu old town (which is more than I had done) and said it was quite moving. It'll be my first stop when I visit there again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
S where can I find World War Two D.S.M. citations? HMS Torbay Submariners 10
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
Hermes_R12 Where is HMS Bristol going ? The Quarterdeck 39
JamesH HMS Victorious - Where in the world? History 10
cheddar-caveman HMS Bigbury Bay - where's it gone? History 5
MoD_RSS Charity regulator issues Official Warning and Order against school where children were exposed to terrorist propaganda MoD News 0
huwshpis Where's Sumo? The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS Application of building regulations where additional storeys are provided to existing buildings: circular 03/2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ARTEMIS - jHubMed delivering innovation right where it is needed MoD News 0
J Where will I be based? (FAA) The Fleet Air Arm 7
Q Where do I stand - Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
U Where can I find an address to send a reference to? RFA 2
P Where did we go? The Quarterdeck 9
T Posh CPO epaulettes- Where can I ware them? The Quarterdeck 30
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
B FMG Football Team - Where did we play? Bases / Shore Est 4
W Where does Phase 2 training take place for Catering service? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
C Where the Royal Navy is operating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Where to get new uniform items? RFA 10
Keithdwat579 Where can I find the 1973 TV Show 'Warship'? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Service personnel want greater choice on where they get to live MoD News 0
D Where will I be based Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Stirlin I am a Precariat , where do you fit in ?. Diamond Lil's 25
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
W Where to send my papers, if at all? RFA 1
S Where does the RN stand with 'stress' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
drewfester Where can I hide?? Diamond Lil's 16
BillyNoMates Where the tough blokes live. Diamond Lil's 18
R Where people are joining from? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
Sputnick Where i am at the moment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
jesse Where be it to then? Diamond Lil's 4
dapperdunn Where's Wally? Current Affairs 5
Tomahawk Where might Trident go? Current Affairs 34
finknottle Where is he? Diamond Lil's 8
alexissonice Where is it likely that I will based? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12
SONAR-BENDER Where's my sock......... Diamond Lil's 6
M Does anyone know where I can order RN Name badges to be delivered in a hurry-Exeter? The Quarterdeck 11
J If not in Syria when and where are we prepared to fight? Current Affairs 44
LujonSA Where is: some random inconsequential poster... The Gash Barge 28
Pontius Where's RR? Diamond Lil's 23
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
S OFFICERS AND GENTLEMEN - RN OFFICER TRAINING DOCUMENTARY.. (where can I watch it?) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3