Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where I'm at. Comms Tech advice

Guzzler

War Hero
I can't always be arsed to play grammar police, but since it's you Guzz it's a rare opportunity that is just to good to miss.

to; as in go to a place, not too, as in also.:tongue:

Indeed. The shame. Can't even blame alcohol, and won't claim typo - rush of shit to the brain I suppose.

I deserve the mockery.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I've altered the thread title in the hope one of our resident 'secret squirrels' (Comms Techs) may be able to offer some useful advice.

RomanyRanner

Lantern Swinger
Where I'm at.

Seems strange. I would have thought a university degree far exceeds the requirements if a GCSE requirement.
My guess the young lady has no idea what she is on about. Remember, she is just a regular serviceman enjoying a cushy draft.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Seems strange. I would have thought a university degree far exceeds the requirements if a GCSE requirement.
My guess the young lady has no idea what she is on about. Remember, she is just a regular serviceman enjoying a cushy draft.

You may be mistaking a 'loan rating' with a qualified Careers Adviser (CA), shippers. I'm assuming the OP is speaking direct to his CA - if so we usually know what we're on about. But I have to confess I don't know diddly about Scottish qualifications and degrees are not accepted in lieu of GCSE's or A Levels in normal circumstances.

Whilst AFCOs do have individuals loaned to them for short periods, often employed to field initial basic queries, those already entered into the selection process will have a nominated, qualified Senior Rate/SNCO careers adviser - male or female.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator

Not that strange, my wife has a Ist class degree with honours in Education. When she went to do the PGCE (or whatever it's called) to become a teacher they said she couldn't do it until she had a GCSE A-C in Maths (she has an English O level).

She told them to ram it and became an HLTA instead (Higher Level Teaching Assistant for the unknowing), snag is HLTA's do the same as fully qualified teachers but at a lot lower pay level.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I have heard a rare occurrence of AIB accepting a second degree in lieu of the A Level requirement for a graduate entry engineer, but one thing that puzzles many non-vocational graduate Officer applicants is that if they ain't got the A Levels, they aren't eligible to join as an Officer. Time and again this borne out when we see graduates on a weekly basis fail the RN Recruiting Test which, on an academic scale, is nearer 11+ than A Level.

Jamie3500

Midshipman
Okayyyy, so!
I'm writing a letter of appeal to the AIB regarding my Standard Grade results. (Any tips on this area?)
Ninja_stoker, you say that officer positions can be accepted occasionally if the applicant has a second degree? I'm not applying for an officer position, just as a rating. Might be a surprise to some having a degree and all but I'd rather work my way up anyway. Is it likely the AIB would accept a Bachelors in business as a substitute for a Standard Grade (GCSE)? True, its not the same subject area (mathematics) but it, I feel, is a very relevant degree for a CT considering all the emphasis placed on information gathering, analysis, reporting and presentation.

Thanks again all!

Pontius

War Hero
By the time you've done all this mucking around with appeals etc you could have sat a GCSE maths exam. Since you only just failed to get the appropriate grade, why not buy a GCSE maths text book, knuckle down for a bit of studying and just do the exam?

Pontius

War Hero
Tiddly,

Sorry, but it was Guzz, the arch-pedant in chief

The Arch-Pedant In Chief being a noun, of course and, therefore, capital letters (we'll let the hyphens slide on this occasion) :D

Reminds me of The Life Of Brian; Romans goes to the home, conjugate the verb........

Jamie3500

Midshipman
By the time you've done all this mucking around with appeals etc you could have sat a GCSE maths exam. Since you only just failed to get the appropriate grade, why not buy a GCSE maths text book, knuckle down for a bit of studying and just do the exam?

I suppose that's an option, but it involves waiting to august to do a 35 week course to then get the exam. Im not sure if there is another way around it. I asked my lecturer who is going to see if he can have another lecturer just give me the paper and sit it within the next few weeks.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Okayyyy, so!
I'm writing a letter of appeal to the AIB regarding my Standard Grade results. (Any tips on this area?)
Ninja_stoker, you say that officer positions can be accepted occasionally if the applicant has a second degree? I'm not applying for an officer position, just as a rating. Might be a surprise to some having a degree and all but I'd rather work my way up anyway. Is it likely the AIB would accept a Bachelors in business as a substitute for a Standard Grade (GCSE)? True, its not the same subject area (mathematics) but it, I feel, is a very relevant degree for a CT considering all the emphasis placed on information gathering, analysis, reporting and presentation.

Thanks again all!

Tips?

1. It's not an appeal, it's an enquiry.
2. Be Polite, Brief and concise.
3. Send copies of all your educational certificates with a accompanying covering letter to simply ask if they meet the educational requirement or can be accepted in lieu of the educational requirement for your branch of preference.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Rachelthree

War Hero
I suppose that's an option, but it involves waiting to august to do a 35 week course to then get the exam. Im not sure if there is another way around it. I asked my lecturer who is going to see if he can have another lecturer just give me the paper and sit it within the next few weeks.

You could maybe look into entering as an independent candidate, the edexcel deadline used to be sometime in feb! This way wouldnt get you much support though in terms of teaching and stuff, but if you take the intermediate paper and not the higher one, a B grade is a million times easier to get! I hope the afco do accept your other Qualifications, but if not you have lots of options- just might take a little longer.

Jamie3500

Midshipman
You could maybe look into entering as an independent candidate, the edexcel deadline used to be sometime in feb! This way wouldnt get you much support though in terms of teaching and stuff, but if you take the intermediate paper and not the higher one, a B grade is a million times easier to get! I hope the afco do accept your other Qualifications, but if not you have lots of options- just might take a little longer.

Okay well after some time looking around, I found the earliest course I could apply for is this august at my local college. Its a 1 day a week mostly self taught course so I figure I can breeze through it rather than do the whole 35 weeks. Thanks for your advice on that one - I might get round to sending an appeal letter but this seems like the more likely path to take.

Say all goes well though, does anyone know how long the waiting list is for a CT role?

Thanks!

Rachelthree

War Hero
Okay well after some time looking around, I found the earliest course I could apply for is this august at my local college. Its a 1 day a week mostly self taught course so I figure I can breeze through it rather than do the whole 35 weeks. Thanks for your advice on that one - I might get round to sending an appeal letter but this seems like the more likely path to take.

Say all goes well though, does anyone know how long the waiting list is for a CT role?

Thanks!

To be honest, many jobs now ask for minimum GCSE grades- so it would be an investment for in the future when you leave the navy anyway. Although it seems ages away it's always worth thinking about it, if you feel quite comfortable with maths and feel you could pass quite comfortably without tuition but just with self directed study, you could always check this out: Where can I take a GCSE? : Edexcel from what I recall schools sometimes charge as little as 60 quid, but obviously if there is not one near you then that might be a pain, just another option to think about, can never have too many choices! Your AFCO would be the best place, I am still in the application process but I know they do not release the waiting times anymore as it's changing regularly and everyone circumstances thus potential wait times are different :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Pre-joining medical : where is it? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Charity regulator issues Official Warning and Order against school where children were exposed to terrorist propaganda MoD News 0
huwshpis Where's Sumo? The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS Application of building regulations where additional storeys are provided to existing buildings: circular 03/2020 MoD News 0
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
MoD_RSS ARTEMIS - jHubMed delivering innovation right where it is needed MoD News 0
J Where will I be based? (FAA) The Fleet Air Arm 7
Q Where do I stand - Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
U Where can I find an address to send a reference to? RFA 2
P Where did we go? The Quarterdeck 9
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
T Posh CPO epaulettes- Where can I ware them? The Quarterdeck 30
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
B FMG Football Team - Where did we play? Bases / Shore Est 4
W Where does Phase 2 training take place for Catering service? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
C Where the Royal Navy is operating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Where to get new uniform items? RFA 10
Keithdwat579 Where can I find the 1973 TV Show 'Warship'? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Service personnel want greater choice on where they get to live MoD News 0
D Where will I be based Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S where can I find World War Two D.S.M. citations? HMS Torbay Submariners 10
Stirlin I am a Precariat , where do you fit in ?. Diamond Lil's 25
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
W Where to send my papers, if at all? RFA 1
S Where does the RN stand with 'stress' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
drewfester Where can I hide?? Diamond Lil's 16
BillyNoMates Where the tough blokes live. Diamond Lil's 18
R Where people are joining from? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
Sputnick Where i am at the moment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
jesse Where be it to then? Diamond Lil's 4
dapperdunn Where's Wally? Current Affairs 5
Tomahawk Where might Trident go? Current Affairs 34
finknottle Where is he? Diamond Lil's 8
alexissonice Where is it likely that I will based? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12
SONAR-BENDER Where's my sock......... Diamond Lil's 6
M Does anyone know where I can order RN Name badges to be delivered in a hurry-Exeter? The Quarterdeck 11
J If not in Syria when and where are we prepared to fight? Current Affairs 44
LujonSA Where is: some random inconsequential poster... The Gash Barge 28
Pontius Where's RR? Diamond Lil's 23
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
S OFFICERS AND GENTLEMEN - RN OFFICER TRAINING DOCUMENTARY.. (where can I watch it?) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3
T Where to stay at Torpoint Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11