Where I'm at. Comms Tech advice

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jamie3500, Jan 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey folks.
    Okay so I posted a while ago. Not alot has changed since then but since the topic got a little messy, I thought I'd start fresh. Heres the sitch:

I applied to be a marine engineer. Passed the aptitude, medical and fitness tests and am currently waiting for my security clearance. (been 3 months now.) I'm wanting to change role to CT - working in intelligence just seems alot more interesting. Of course I need to approach my AFCO about this but where does it leave me in terms of the recruiting process? Provided I have a high enough aptitude score, there shouldn't be a problem right? I see no reason why my clearance would be denied - I'm squeaky clean :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  2. I would assume that say you've been on the marine engineer waiting list for 6 months, you will just be transfered to the intelligence waiting list with 6 months knocked of the waiting time for that role. However I'd make sure you have some good solid reasons for wanting to change role your AFCO might give you a hard time about it depending.
  3. Where I'm at.

Marine engineer to a CT.
    I assume better promotion prospects.
    All the same would rather roll around in the greasy bilges than be locked up in the CT shack with all the strange secret squirrels.
  4. Don't know about today but back in- the- day you were behind a curtain in the MCO.
  5. SCIF nowadays.
  6. Well, honestly I opted for Engineering as it seemed the best one for keeping me busy. But I realized (took me a while!) that after finishing my business degree I'd like to do some form of work associated with it. Analysis was a big part of my course so working in Intel should really be an easy transition. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
  7. OMM

OMM War Hero

Where I'm at.

The SC for CT is much more vigorous for obvious reasons when involved with intel.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  8. Even more so should you get tasked with the British (or non COD/MW) version "Int" :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I'm fine with that. British born, clean record. Think I'll be a-okay :)
  10. First bit of linguistic advice...if you get a Guz ship it's 'Where I'm too' :alien:
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In the assumption you have scored high enough for Comms Tech and also have GCSE Maths & English, are suitable in all respects (including Brit Parents & British since birth) and maybe an aptitude for foreign languages, then from Recruiting Test to entry is usually a couple of years for Comms Tech, compared to nearer one year(ish) for ET(ME).

The CT branch is a small branch with limited numbers required and correspondingly few intakes each year (that said, it's the branch with the highest entry standards, so less make the grade), whereas ET(ME) is a huge branch with multiple entries each year.

Waiting-times are difficult to predict, but in simplistic terms, if one your 'hypothetical triplet brothers' sat the test on the same day as you and applied for CT from the outset and you switched branches to CT six months later, then he will be loaded onto a CT intake ahead of you, together with all those who passed the test and applied for CT during that 6 months. But, if there's places on that intake, you could both end-up joining together. Then again if you don't, it could be year before the next intake of CT's.

If the remaining triplet sat the test on the same day as you switched to CT, also as a CT, you would be allocated ahead of him. But if there's places on that intake, you could end-up with all three of you joining together on the same day. Then again if you don't, you could each join-up a year apart over three years, even though you all sat the test within 6 months.

Confused? Good, me too.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Confused? Yeah, a bit. But less so than before!

The only requiremenets specified on the web page are "Two GCSEs (A* to C) or Scottish Standard Grades (1 to 3) or equivalent, in English and Maths." I have a 2(B) in english and a 3(C) in maths so I cut it there. I didn't do any highers though so that scooshes any chance of a officer role out the window, even with my business degree. (I think!).

I'll get on it today - phone up AFCO, say I want to switch.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Best of luck.

Waiting times are one of the Dark Arts at the Hogwarts Campus to be honest, but hopefully the above illustration helps explain why it's difficult to accurately predict. Sometimes there are those that can't grasp the complexity of the issue and keep asking various sources until they get the answer they seek (the shortest time to join) but the person best placed to advise is your Careers Adviser as he/she knows your circumstances best.

We tend to deliberately 'pessimistic' with regard joining timescales to manage expectations. When we subsequently give the good news earlier than the individual may have expected, we're usually greeted with an elated: "So you were wrong then!".

For the record, I'd heartily recommend CT to those eligible - as with with all branches there are always negative aspects, but the skills learned are first class.
  14. Ah well, heres the scoop. Turns out GCSEs are infact not standard grades. (I honestly thought they were!) So I don't technically have the grades to apply for a CT. I'm wondering though if I can appeal against this since I have a degree? Might be I go back to college for a half year and apply again :/
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Just scan a copy of all educational certificates held and email copies to your AFCO to enquire whether they are accepted in lieu of the two GCSE's required for entry. The CT Branch Manager should be able to advise.

Good luck.
  16. Do I need to go through my own recruiting officer to contact the CT Branch Manager? I feel it is her putting up these roadblocks so I'd rather bypass her if I can. I could send them to another AFCO office maybe?

I did some more research. for whatever reason, Scottish stanard Grade level 3 is not being accepted any more, only 1 and 2. I think missing out one one grade slightly but having higher education in an applicable field is grounds for lieu to be given, don't you think? AM I being unreasonable? I'm frustrated right now by this so maybe I am being unreasonable...

17. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I can't always be arsed to play grammar police, but since it's you Guzz it's a rare opportunity that is just to good to miss.

to; as in go to a place, not too, as in also.:tongue:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tiddlyoggy your rapidly becoming site headmaster!!!

Now, write down 100 times "I must not be so pedantic, they know not what they write".
    • Like Like x 1
  19. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Sorry, but it was Guzz, the arch-pedant in chief!^_~
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ninja_Stoker

The authority of definitive academic eligibility for the Naval service is determined by the Admiralty Interview Board who will advise what can be accepted in lieu of GCSE's (and upwards) - You could send a copy of your academic certificates with a covering letter if you wish, but if you have Scottish qualifications and your AFCO is in Scotland, the odds are they are correct.

You could email the RN website if you believe the the information advertised on the Royal Navy website is incorrect:
    Communications Technician| Royal Navy