Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where I'm at. Comms Tech advice

Jamie3500

Midshipman
Hey folks.
Okay so I posted a while ago. Not alot has changed since then but since the topic got a little messy, I thought I'd start fresh. Heres the sitch:

I applied to be a marine engineer. Passed the aptitude, medical and fitness tests and am currently waiting for my security clearance. (been 3 months now.) I'm wanting to change role to CT - working in intelligence just seems alot more interesting. Of course I need to approach my AFCO about this but where does it leave me in terms of the recruiting process? Provided I have a high enough aptitude score, there shouldn't be a problem right? I see no reason why my clearance would be denied - I'm squeaky clean :)

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

2cool

Lantern Swinger
Hey folks.
Okay so I posted a while ago. Not alot has changed since then but since the topic got a little messy, I thought I'd start fresh. Heres the sitch:

I applied to be a marine engineer. Passed the aptitude, medical and fitness tests and am currently waiting for my security clearance. (been 3 months now.) I'm wanting to change role to CT - working in intelligence just seems alot more interesting. Of course I need to approach my AFCO about this but where does it leave me in terms of the recruiting process? Provided I have a high enough aptitude score, there shouldn't be a problem right? I see no reason why my clearance would be denied - I'm squeaky clean :)

Cheers!

I would assume that say you've been on the marine engineer waiting list for 6 months, you will just be transfered to the intelligence waiting list with 6 months knocked of the waiting time for that role. However I'd make sure you have some good solid reasons for wanting to change role your AFCO might give you a hard time about it depending.

RomanyRanner

Lantern Swinger
Where I'm at.

Marine engineer to a CT.
I assume better promotion prospects.
All the same would rather roll around in the greasy bilges than be locked up in the CT shack with all the strange secret squirrels.

finknottle

Banned
Marine engineer to a CT.
I assume better promotion prospects.
All the same would rather roll around in the greasy bilges than be locked up in the CT shack with all the strange secret squirrels.

Don't know about today but back in- the- day you were behind a curtain in the MCO.

Jamie3500

Midshipman
I would assume that say you've been on the marine engineer waiting list for 6 months, you will just be transfered to the intelligence waiting list with 6 months knocked of the waiting time for that role. However I'd make sure you have some good solid reasons for wanting to change role your AFCO might give you a hard time about it depending.

Well, honestly I opted for Engineering as it seemed the best one for keeping me busy. But I realized (took me a while!) that after finishing my business degree I'd like to do some form of work associated with it. Analysis was a big part of my course so working in Intel should really be an easy transition. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

OMM

War Hero
Where I'm at.

The SC for CT is much more vigorous for obvious reasons when involved with intel.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

tentoes

War Hero
The SC for CT is much more vigorous for obvious reasons when involved with intel.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Even more so should you get tasked with the British (or non COD/MW) version "Int" :biggrin:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
In the assumption you have scored high enough for Comms Tech and also have GCSE Maths & English, are suitable in all respects (including Brit Parents & British since birth) and maybe an aptitude for foreign languages, then from Recruiting Test to entry is usually a couple of years for Comms Tech, compared to nearer one year(ish) for ET(ME).

The CT branch is a small branch with limited numbers required and correspondingly few intakes each year (that said, it's the branch with the highest entry standards, so less make the grade), whereas ET(ME) is a huge branch with multiple entries each year.

Waiting-times are difficult to predict, but in simplistic terms, if one your 'hypothetical triplet brothers' sat the test on the same day as you and applied for CT from the outset and you switched branches to CT six months later, then he will be loaded onto a CT intake ahead of you, together with all those who passed the test and applied for CT during that 6 months. But, if there's places on that intake, you could both end-up joining together. Then again if you don't, it could be year before the next intake of CT's.

If the remaining triplet sat the test on the same day as you switched to CT, also as a CT, you would be allocated ahead of him. But if there's places on that intake, you could end-up with all three of you joining together on the same day. Then again if you don't, you could each join-up a year apart over three years, even though you all sat the test within 6 months.

Confused? Good, me too.

Jamie3500

Midshipman
In the assumption you have scored high enough for Comms Tech and also have GCSE Maths & English, are suitable in all respects (including Brit Parents & British since birth) and maybe an aptitude for foreign languages, then from Recruiting Test to entry is usually a couple of years for Comms Tech, compared to nearer one year(ish) for ET(ME).

The CT branch is a small branch with limited numbers required and correspondingly few intakes each year (that said, it's the branch with the highest entry standards, so less make the grade), whereas ET(ME) is a huge branch with multiple entries each year.

Waiting-times are difficult to predict, but in simplistic terms, if one your 'hypothetical triplet brothers' sat the test on the same day as you and applied for CT from the outset and you switched branches to CT six months later, then he will be loaded onto a CT intake ahead of you, together with all those who passed the test and applied for CT during that 6 months. But, if there's places on that intake, you could both end-up joining together. Then again if you don't, it could be year before the next intake of CT's.

If the remaining triplet sat the test on the same day as you switched to CT, also as a CT, you would be allocated ahead of him. But if there's places on that intake, you could end-up with all three of you joining together on the same day. Then again if you don't, you could each join-up a year apart over three years, even though you all sat the test within 6 months.

Confused? Good, me too.

Confused? Yeah, a bit. But less so than before!

The only requiremenets specified on the web page are "Two GCSEs (A* to C) or Scottish Standard Grades (1 to 3) or equivalent, in English and Maths." I have a 2(B) in english and a 3(C) in maths so I cut it there. I didn't do any highers though so that scooshes any chance of a officer role out the window, even with my business degree. (I think!).

I'll get on it today - phone up AFCO, say I want to switch.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Best of luck.

Waiting times are one of the Dark Arts at the Hogwarts Campus to be honest, but hopefully the above illustration helps explain why it's difficult to accurately predict. Sometimes there are those that can't grasp the complexity of the issue and keep asking various sources until they get the answer they seek (the shortest time to join) but the person best placed to advise is your Careers Adviser as he/she knows your circumstances best.

We tend to deliberately 'pessimistic' with regard joining timescales to manage expectations. When we subsequently give the good news earlier than the individual may have expected, we're usually greeted with an elated: "So you were wrong then!".

For the record, I'd heartily recommend CT to those eligible - as with with all branches there are always negative aspects, but the skills learned are first class.

Jamie3500

Midshipman
Ah well, heres the scoop. Turns out GCSEs are infact not standard grades. (I honestly thought they were!) So I don't technically have the grades to apply for a CT. I'm wondering though if I can appeal against this since I have a degree? Might be I go back to college for a half year and apply again :/

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ah well, heres the scoop. Turns out GCSEs are infact not standard grades. (I honestly thought they were!) So I don't technically have the grades to apply for a CT. I'm wondering though if I can appeal against this since I have a degree? Might be I go back to college for a half year and apply again :/

Just scan a copy of all educational certificates held and email copies to your AFCO to enquire whether they are accepted in lieu of the two GCSE's required for entry. The CT Branch Manager should be able to advise.

Good luck.

Jamie3500

Midshipman
Just scan a copy of all educational certificates held and email copies to your AFCO to enquire whether they are accepted in lieu of the two GCSE's required for entry. The CT Branch Manager should be able to advise.

Good luck.

Do I need to go through my own recruiting officer to contact the CT Branch Manager? I feel it is her putting up these roadblocks so I'd rather bypass her if I can. I could send them to another AFCO office maybe?

I did some more research. for whatever reason, Scottish stanard Grade level 3 is not being accepted any more, only 1 and 2. I think missing out one one grade slightly but having higher education in an applicable field is grounds for lieu to be given, don't you think? AM I being unreasonable? I'm frustrated right now by this so maybe I am being unreasonable...

Thanks!

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
First bit of linguistic advice...if you get a Guz ship it's 'Where I'm too' :alien:

I can't always be arsed to play grammar police, but since it's you Guzz it's a rare opportunity that is just to good to miss.

to; as in go to a place, not too, as in also.:tongue:

Waspie

War Hero
tiddlyoggy your rapidly becoming site headmaster!!!

Now, write down 100 times "I must not be so pedantic, they know not what they write".

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Do I need to go through my own recruiting officer to contact the CT Branch Manager? I feel it is her putting up these roadblocks so I'd rather bypass her if I can. I could send them to another AFCO office maybe?

I did some more research. for whatever reason, Scottish stanard Grade level 3 is not being accepted any more, only 1 and 2. I think missing out one one grade slightly but having higher education in an applicable field is grounds for lieu to be given, don't you think? AM I being unreasonable? I'm frustrated right now by this so maybe I am being unreasonable...

Thanks!

The authority of definitive academic eligibility for the Naval service is determined by the Admiralty Interview Board who will advise what can be accepted in lieu of GCSE's (and upwards) - You could send a copy of your academic certificates with a covering letter if you wish, but if you have Scottish qualifications and your AFCO is in Scotland, the odds are they are correct.

You could email the RN website if you believe the the information advertised on the Royal Navy website is incorrect:
Communications Technician| Royal Navy
http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/9431bc3ad024420a8dbe0aa311d9b65a-0x0.pdf

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Pre-joining medical : where is it? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Charity regulator issues Official Warning and Order against school where children were exposed to terrorist propaganda MoD News 0
huwshpis Where's Sumo? The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS Application of building regulations where additional storeys are provided to existing buildings: circular 03/2020 MoD News 0
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
MoD_RSS ARTEMIS - jHubMed delivering innovation right where it is needed MoD News 0
J Where will I be based? (FAA) The Fleet Air Arm 7
Q Where do I stand - Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
U Where can I find an address to send a reference to? RFA 2
P Where did we go? The Quarterdeck 9
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
T Posh CPO epaulettes- Where can I ware them? The Quarterdeck 30
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
B FMG Football Team - Where did we play? Bases / Shore Est 4
W Where does Phase 2 training take place for Catering service? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
C Where the Royal Navy is operating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Where to get new uniform items? RFA 10
Keithdwat579 Where can I find the 1973 TV Show 'Warship'? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Service personnel want greater choice on where they get to live MoD News 0
D Where will I be based Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S where can I find World War Two D.S.M. citations? HMS Torbay Submariners 10
Stirlin I am a Precariat , where do you fit in ?. Diamond Lil's 25
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
W Where to send my papers, if at all? RFA 1
S Where does the RN stand with 'stress' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
drewfester Where can I hide?? Diamond Lil's 16
BillyNoMates Where the tough blokes live. Diamond Lil's 18
R Where people are joining from? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
Sputnick Where i am at the moment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
jesse Where be it to then? Diamond Lil's 4
dapperdunn Where's Wally? Current Affairs 5
Tomahawk Where might Trident go? Current Affairs 34
finknottle Where is he? Diamond Lil's 8
alexissonice Where is it likely that I will based? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12
SONAR-BENDER Where's my sock......... Diamond Lil's 6
M Does anyone know where I can order RN Name badges to be delivered in a hurry-Exeter? The Quarterdeck 11
J If not in Syria when and where are we prepared to fight? Current Affairs 44
LujonSA Where is: some random inconsequential poster... The Gash Barge 28
Pontius Where's RR? Diamond Lil's 23
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
S OFFICERS AND GENTLEMEN - RN OFFICER TRAINING DOCUMENTARY.. (where can I watch it?) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3
T Where to stay at Torpoint Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11