Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where have all the milkmen gone (long time passing)

Rumrat

War Hero
So where are the fuckin milkmen?
Do you have milkmen where you live?
There are none in this town now, a dead breed, but I still see them on ads like their everywhere.
Have you got any?

wal

Lantern Swinger
Here in Farnham, ours is an Ex Para who landed on his head one too many times.

Rumrat

War Hero
Terry our last milkman hit a tree in his car, I saw him in Good Hope hospital in 2006 when I was in Rehab.
I have never seen one here since.
At least we don't get stuck behind electric floats now, but I don't remember seeing any elsewhere either.
I wonder who housewives shag now, the dustman?

lesbryan

War Hero
Since i moved here where i live now .We never bothererd with a milkman we had an Hillards just 100 yards (now tesco's ) but i know the nilkman used to come round at arounf 0300 i used to see hime when i was on early start.Same as the papers.the distribution hub was oppisite the railway station which again is about 100 yards the mail used to come in at around 0300 to 0400 every morning. THey had a couple of delivery men who used to do the houses nearby there was plenty we used to pay at the distribution bub

Last edited:

pie.thatcher

Lantern Swinger
Here in rurul West Devon there are lots of milkmen. There are two in the village I live in, and they both deliver daily.

Rumrat

War Hero
I've just googled milkmen for Tamworth and it says there isn't one within ten miles.
I did turn up the fact that Essex women have bigger tits than the rest of the uk.
I could have told them that, its Essex men.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
We have one where I live, bombs around in a Rascal first thing though I don't think his round is that big. Most people (me included) buy a four pint or 6 pint bottle in the supermarket.

Stand_Still

Lantern Swinger
There's one in the village where I moor, if I'm late going work I see him delivering so I guess he's not a real early starter.

fishhead

War Hero
Dairy Crest still deliver where I live but I think the number of customers has declined in recent times.The current price per pint delivered is 71p so it is by no means a cheap option.I was told by one of the roundsmen that they were reluctant to deliver to council estates as getting paid was a struggle.

Rumrat

War Hero
Dairy Crest still deliver where I live but I think the number of customers has declined in recent times.The current price per pint delivered is 71p so it is by no means a cheap option.I was told by one of the roundsmen that they were reluctant to deliver to council estates as getting paid was a struggle.

You must have extremely posh council estates round your way, up here getting off the estate alive is the struggle.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
We still get our milk delivered every other day, it used to be six days a week but to keep costs down they changed it. Straight from the Farm about 3 miles away, processed and cartoned up on the Farm as well. Mad bugger comes around between 0200 and 0300 on delivery days

Rumrat

War Hero
I was chatting about this a while back with a guy offshore who was a milk delivery boy. Another thing we talked about was a soft drink/ginger/fizzy juice called Alpine up this neck of the woods. They use to deliver pop on the back of a flatbed lorry.

Haven't seen one in years.

Alpine yes that's another that's gone awol.
Don't see any bakers delivering either. They used to do shit load of business as they sold buns cobs and cakes as well.
You don't realise they've disappeared until its mentioned in chance conversations.

Rumrat

War Hero
When we first came to England I heard my old man one night telling me mom that his motor Bike was a load of scrap.
The rag and bone man came round next day shouting "old iron" So I gave him the bike for a goldfish.
I got a thrashing to go with it, then the fuckin fish went toes up.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Another one is the 'Rag and Bone' man. I remember them when I was a nipper with their horse and cart. Basically a precursor to the cleansing who would give you a balloon or whistle for handing over your mums best clobber or dads scrap metal he had robbed the night before.

We've still got one around our area. To be honest though, i think he's just a pikey carrying out a recce.

LujonSA

War Hero
Since i moved here where i live now .We never bothererd with a milkman we had an Hillards just 100 yards (now tesco's ) but i know the nilkman used to come round at arounf 0300 i used to see hime when i was on early start.Same as the papers.the distribution hub was oppisite the railway station which again is about 100 yards the mail used to come in at around 0300 to 0400 every morning. THey had a couple of delivery men who used to do the housewives nearby there was plenty we used to pay at the distribution bub

Corrected that but with no nilkman, or milkman even, who shags your wife when you are on early?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Charity regulator issues Official Warning and Order against school where children were exposed to terrorist propaganda MoD News 0
huwshpis Where's Sumo? The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS Application of building regulations where additional storeys are provided to existing buildings: circular 03/2020 MoD News 0
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
MoD_RSS ARTEMIS - jHubMed delivering innovation right where it is needed MoD News 0
J Where will I be based? (FAA) The Fleet Air Arm 7
Q Where do I stand - Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
U Where can I find an address to send a reference to? RFA 2
P Where did we go? The Quarterdeck 9
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
T Posh CPO epaulettes- Where can I ware them? The Quarterdeck 30
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
B FMG Football Team - Where did we play? Bases / Shore Est 4
W Where does Phase 2 training take place for Catering service? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
C Where the Royal Navy is operating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Where to get new uniform items? RFA 10
Keithdwat579 Where can I find the 1973 TV Show 'Warship'? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Service personnel want greater choice on where they get to live MoD News 0
D Where will I be based Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S where can I find World War Two D.S.M. citations? HMS Torbay Submariners 10
Stirlin I am a Precariat , where do you fit in ?. Diamond Lil's 25
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
W Where to send my papers, if at all? RFA 1
S Where does the RN stand with 'stress' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
drewfester Where can I hide?? Diamond Lil's 16
BillyNoMates Where the tough blokes live. Diamond Lil's 18
R Where people are joining from? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
Sputnick Where i am at the moment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
jesse Where be it to then? Diamond Lil's 4
dapperdunn Where's Wally? Current Affairs 5
Tomahawk Where might Trident go? Current Affairs 34
finknottle Where is he? Diamond Lil's 8
alexissonice Where is it likely that I will based? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12
SONAR-BENDER Where's my sock......... Diamond Lil's 6
M Does anyone know where I can order RN Name badges to be delivered in a hurry-Exeter? The Quarterdeck 11
J If not in Syria when and where are we prepared to fight? Current Affairs 44
LujonSA Where is: some random inconsequential poster... The Gash Barge 28
Pontius Where's RR? Diamond Lil's 23
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
S OFFICERS AND GENTLEMEN - RN OFFICER TRAINING DOCUMENTARY.. (where can I watch it?) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3
T Where to stay at Torpoint Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
K Pension - Havent got a clue - where to start???? Finance & Pensions 10