Where does the RN stand with 'stress'

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by speedboat1, Apr 2, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello long time reader whilst I go through the application process and I find myself with Medical related query... Two years ago I visited the Doctor whilst on work leave to discuss possible work-related stress, as were all encouraged to 'talk about it' these days. Although this was a sole visit, the Doctor wasn't concerned and Ive not had any treatment for stress referrals for counselling or anything else, will the fact that I visited the Doctor within the last 4 years to discuss possible stress be an issue for the Navy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to raise my hopes for getting in only to have them dashed at the Medical Stage! Thanks
  2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

How many units do you drink a week?
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Unless you were treated or took time off due to stress, fingers-crossed, it should not be a significant issue.

It goes without saying, the Armed Foces can be stressful from time to time. I personally found getting straffed & bombed, recovering victims & fighting fires above a fuel-filled magazine quite stressful, but I was fortunate inasmuch as I never took time off or required treatment.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. I can only speak from personal experience but in my case I had an incident of stress in my final year of university- saw a doctor, received one off treatment and declared it at my medical- wasn't a problem.