Where do the years go?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by janner, Sep 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I reckon that this pic must have been taken around 1964, where the bloody hell do the years go?

2. janner

Any of you experts know what I've done wrong with the pic posting????????
  3. The picture is showing as 404 not found when I looked for it. Have you got the right link?

Any problems, PM me with the link to the photo and I'll see what I can do. :wink:
  4. It looks like a facebook link mate. The gallery it is from may not have been opened for all to view, and may be just for Facebook friends.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Is that the shot of when you were up the ice on a cloudy day serving on a survey boat before they painted them grey? :lol:
  6. janner

Thanks for the offer Evil, thanks to JJ I've cracked it.

Thanks JJ

FO Ninja, pure jealousy from a doggo stoker (aren't they all?) re the good looks and charm of one of gods chosen communicators!
  7. DC white front I see.
  8. Was at a Floyd concert in 1980 - The Wall at Olympia IIRC. David Gilmour shouted out"do you ever get the feeling life is passing you by?"

As I spotty naïve 17 year old I wasn't too sure if I could answer that question. As a broke, cynical 47 year old, ex-matelot I can now truthfully answer "yes".
  9. janner

I was wondering why it looked so clean, must have been at harbour stations as I can see the Bosuns Call chain around my neck.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Small world. Uh-oh, dit inbound...

I served with a guy on HMS Southampton 83/84 that joined-up under the assumed name (as it later turned-out) of Nick Conway. He was a first class blues harmonica player & not three bad on the saxophone. We used to "jam" in HQ1 during the night watches, I had a crap keyboard at the time. (Well, that was my excuse) but the 'hey-diddle' used to pass much more quickly, that's for sure.

Only trouble was, excellent bloke that he was, brain the size of a planet, he couldn't half tell whoppers, or so I thought.

He claimed he used to play in a band with Gilmour & that his Dad was one of the great train robbers. Yeah, right.

Many years later, there he was in an an article in the Sunday Mail supplement, "Children of the Great Train Robbers". Reynolds his real name is, a professional sculptor & a musician. In a band with, erm, Gilmour as it happened. Bugger, as Unlucky Alf would say... :(
  11. Seems like only yesterday I was pissed up in Diamond Lil's with one of her girls waving her muff in my face !!
  12. Where do the years go? If you find out, let me know. I demand a recount.

I go for a few beers with my 76 year old next door neighbour most Thursdays. He's always commented on how fast the Thursdays come round. It could mean that i'm crap company but now i've noticed that the intervals between do seem to be shortening. 8O
  13. Ninja_Stoker

To be fair, he did say something about some arsehole he drinks with that makes an hour in the pub feel like a week, and the week inbetween feel like an hour.

Apparently. :wink:
  14. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oyxzc7ne14
  15. ....and what about last nights prog about the origins of Corrie (BBC4)?? Sigh, memories...50 years ago....

8O Fifty years ago = 1960. The very year Janner (and self) swallowed the Q's 1/-

DC (from Sterling) = Declared clothing; usually had a circle around the DC stamp to signify that you had obtained it legally, generally from a demised oppo's kit auction.

Do they still use the DC stamp in the RN? I suppose it has to be an encircled 'AC/DC' these days, though. :evil:
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, that's him. Still owes me 20 Embassy Kings. Pity I gave-up 5 years back, the swine.
  17. Used to have loads of DC stuff in slops at Raleigh with all the blerks pissin off after 3 months service ( still had the ''3 months inside or join the mob for 3 months'' caper then ) where you could get the old style bubble wrap white towells, after 3 month of wear and tear they were still yards better than the stuff given at new entry kit issue, bog cheap aswell.
  18. Ninja_Stoker. What a small world. He once mentioned his special friend who was a sailor. [​IMG]
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ouch :lol:
  20. I started to learn to play the guitar in 1962 and there was a guy in my mess who showed me my first chords. He'd been on Centaur the year previous (61) when they visited Hamburg. Said he'd jammed with a bunch of scousers on a run ashore down the reeperbahn who'd just made their first recording... a little ditty called 'Love me do'... His remarks on hearing it..... 'I'm glad they've made a record.... I think they'll do OK)