where do the navy stand on lads joining with no education

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tommy1980, Apr 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all , i was thinking about joining the navy but unlike my health which i can improve on, i was worried about my schooling seems i left pretty young. i have been working since i was 12 and never looked back , im now a logistics co-ordinator in a warehouse but like most people nowadays my job will soon be gone. i would be too scared to lie so i wont ,,, but what happens to lads in my bracket. or do they even bother to look. im also irish, does that mean things might take longer on the administrative side of things. i also wish to thank some of the lads and ladys for putting some questions to rest. thank you all ... please wb ,,,, tommy

2. allright mate in answer to your question i dont think that you need any qualifications unless you want to be an ociffer as you will be called in to do psychometric tests that will determine wether or not you are intelligent enough to do the job you want, but dont take my word as law because i am not qualified to give a definite answer! 08456075555 ring this number and they will be more than happy to answer all your question. I myself have no qualification but scored high enough to pass for AET so aslong as your not a complete rem i think you will be ok, but seriously ring up that number and ask them anything that your unsure of. goodluck

3. Re: where do the navy stand on lads joining with no educatio

Hi Tommy!

The Royal Navy has a short written test of its own which you will sit, so the fact that you don't have much in the way of qualifications doesn't matter.

Which part of Ireland are you from, by the way? Do you live there now? Some jobs in the Royal Navy are open to applicants from Eire, some are not.

Two Royal Navy Careers Advisors contribute to this forum - I'm sure that they will be along at some point to give you more help.

4. Re: where do the navy stand on lads joining with no educatio

Having read your post, apart from the use of i instead of I, you will do a lot better than some of the BRIGHT Illiterates that come on here, you seem to be able to speak English, and in my eyes that is a positive boon.

5. Re: where do the navy stand on lads joining with no educatio

And, honesty is the best policy.
    Good luck. :wink:

6. Definitely. Honesty is the only way forward but I'm pretty certain that you don't need formal educational qualifications for many branches. You do, however, need to be able to read, write and do math to a basic standard. I've sent you a PM with further details.

SF

7. tommy1980"] I was thinking about joining the navy.

Go for it Tommy, you should find that navy recruiters will have more time to suss out your capabilities than civvy HR staff who rely on academic achievement results. Don't know where Soleil got his info from re 'Some jobs are open to Irish recruits,some are not'
    You most probably got a head start in the University of Life at 12.
    I left school at 15 with only a Headmasters Report and gained what academic achievements I have,courtesy of the Royal Navy.
    Hope you got some value from ringing that 08456075555 number.

Good Luck

8. Mate I'm as thick as a Gurkas foreskin and I got in as CIS. I do beleve however I will sit tests for promotion.

9. It's to do with the security associated with the position applied for and agreements we have with America. For example, only British Citizens can apply for SSBNs as part of the initial agreement for the procurement of polaris, which continued on to trident.

10. Re: where do the navy stand on lads joining with no educatio

Why not use your spare time now to gain some educational quals? It sure beats having to join up as a dabber or chockhead.

11. Re: where do the navy stand on lads joining with no educatio

There is a wide variety of jobs available in the RN, covering a wide educational standard. Therefore there should be something on offer to you. You will have a lot of other things to offer the Navy, so I wouldn't worry to much. However, it would do you no harm to do some revision prior to sitting the RT test

SM

:)

12. Tommy

I would just go along and sit their tests. For many years the greater percentage of school leavers had no bits of paper with GCSE or similar printed on them. In fact in Surrey one could only not take GCE O-level now GCSE's if you attended a Secondary Modern School unless you arranged it privately and paid. Only Grammar Schoolspupils who had passed the 11 plus exam, could take GCE's. To be an officer you had to have 4 GCE-o level passes. That being Grade C or above. People were actually allowed to fail exams in them far off days.

Now if people have to have all these bits of paper it either says that the education system has improved ten fold or the standard of the exams has been reduced ten fold.

Just go for it, at worse they can only say Feck Off. Then go and join the Booties.

Nutty

13. Hi,

Soleil is correct in saying that as an Irish (Eire) citizen, you will be treated the same way as someone from the Commonwealth. Therefore, you will be limited on what jobs are available.

However if you are from NI then you are part of Britain meaning that there are no restrictions.

Other than that just give it a go. Best of luck

SM

:)

14. If you have the intelligence to pass for CIS then you are far from being thick.

15. Re: where do the navy stand on lads joining with no educatio

I joined at the grand old age of 15 YO. Sod all in the form of ed quals.

The Navy still let me sit in their nice helicopters and navigate the things.

As long as you have the ability they will teach you.

Good luck.

16. Slim

CIS = Sparker not exactly top of the gene pool on the Mess Deck

Nutty
    Leadin Seaman :roll:

17. Nutty I think you will find that CIS requires high scores in the tests. :p

18. That quick eh! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nutty :twisted:

19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Communicators were always at the top end of the scale, Mario will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, Stokers and RP's (do they still exist) were at the other end, RP's couldn't even write the right way around 8) :lol: 8)

20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

CIS is a completely different job to those carried out by Sparkers and Buntings, although it is derived from those branches.

Either this is a sad attempt at a bite, or you really do not grasp the roles that the "New Navy" [sic] does today. The RN has moved on; it appears that you have not... :roll: