Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do I stand -

Qwe

Hi all, first post here. I was interested in joining 2 years ago, passed psychometric test and then got denied by my GP for medical, as I had asthma which has now gone and has been for donkeys, but I was denied. It’s my own fault really as I should have spoke to my GP but that’s that. Anyway, I had started a new job whilst the application process was happening and I was enjoying it at the time so I decided to do an apprenticeship with them - marine welding/fabricating. I’m 18 months through now and have another 18 to go. I’ve been wanting to sign up again for a while now but everyone has been giving mixed advice - it’s a great career to pursue but the qualifications i’ll get at my current job if i stick it out for 18 months will benefit me a lot more. I’ve also heard that the navy will possibly finish current apprenticeships in the navy? Not too sure. Anyway i’m just looking for some advice on what’s recommended, and if anyone’s been in the same boat as me. I’d be doing marine engineering. Cheers all

Qwe

Hi, the medical issue wasn’t really the point i was trying to convey, sorry if it seemed that way. I know i’m clear of it - for about 6 years now. It’s just that my GP, who’s known for making mistakes, for some reason said that i had still got asthma. The point of this was mainly to look for advice for my qualifications and my options with the RN. Cheers

soleil

War Hero
Hi all, first post here. I was interested in joining 2 years ago, passed psychometric test and then got denied by my GP for medical, as I had asthma which has now gone and has been for donkeys, but I was denied. It’s my own fault really as I should have spoke to my GP but that’s that. Anyway, I had started a new job whilst the application process was happening and I was enjoying it at the time so I decided to do an apprenticeship with them - marine welding/fabricating. I’m 18 months through now and have another 18 to go. I’ve been wanting to sign up again for a while now but everyone has been giving mixed advice - it’s a great career to pursue but the qualifications i’ll get at my current job if i stick it out for 18 months will benefit me a lot more. I’ve also heard that the navy will possibly finish current apprenticeships in the navy? Not too sure. Anyway i’m just looking for some advice on what’s recommended, and if anyone’s been in the same boat as me. I’d be doing marine engineering. Cheers all

RT scores are valid for three years, so you may find that your previous score still stands. You will have to retake it if your potential entry date takes you over the three years.

Your problem is going to be the medical stage, it will have to be referred to the Senior Medical Officer, Service Entry, I would have thought.

ET(ME) exists at two levels, Rating and Accelerated Apprenticeship. If I were you, I would choose the one you are going for (the required qualifications differ) and then click on the button which says "Register Your Interest". This will trigger a phone call from the people who administer the early stages of an application. After the first phone call, they will call back in three months and at that point, if you wish, you can begin an actual application. Tacking these extra months on to the beginning may mean that the entry date you are given takes you into next year. With the help of your Careers Advisor at the AFCO, you may be able to get an entry date in September 2021, which would give you time to complete the training you are doing at the moment.

Have a look at the two possibilities and then click on the "Register Your Interest" button to get back into the system. Do be prepared to be patient once the medical stage comes up this time - your case will need to be reviewed because of the asthma.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
If it was me I'd finish the apprenticeship first so if joining up failed for any reason you've got something to fall back on.

Where have you heard that RN apprenticeships are ending?

Qwe

Thank you for the good advice, It has helped a lot and is appreciated. Sol, I will do that now, thank you very much.

soleil

War Hero
Thank you for the good advice, It has helped a lot and is appreciated. Sol, I will do that now, thank you very much.

I do think that you should make sure to complete your current training, Qwe. At this stage, all I am recommending is the Expression of Interest button, which just revives you on the system without progressing any further than that. WreckerL's and Fishhead's advice is excellent, you should complete your current training, I'm just trying to keep you as a live applicant on the system.

Sumo

War Hero
Complete current training.
Have a word with your GP, I believe you have to be 3 years clear of last prescribed asthma drugs.
Speak with AFCO, and find out time line to entry, run the entry process in parallel to apprenticeship.
Good luck

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Where does the RN stand with 'stress' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T where do the navy stand on lads joining with no education Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 48
MoD_RSS Charity regulator issues Official Warning and Order against school where children were exposed to terrorist propaganda MoD News 0
huwshpis Where's Sumo? The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS Application of building regulations where additional storeys are provided to existing buildings: circular 03/2020 MoD News 0
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
MoD_RSS ARTEMIS - jHubMed delivering innovation right where it is needed MoD News 0
J Where will I be based? (FAA) The Fleet Air Arm 7
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
U Where can I find an address to send a reference to? RFA 2
P Where did we go? The Quarterdeck 9
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
T Posh CPO epaulettes- Where can I ware them? The Quarterdeck 30
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
B FMG Football Team - Where did we play? Bases / Shore Est 4
W Where does Phase 2 training take place for Catering service? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
C Where the Royal Navy is operating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Where to get new uniform items? RFA 10
Keithdwat579 Where can I find the 1973 TV Show 'Warship'? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Service personnel want greater choice on where they get to live MoD News 0
D Where will I be based Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S where can I find World War Two D.S.M. citations? HMS Torbay Submariners 10
Stirlin I am a Precariat , where do you fit in ?. Diamond Lil's 25
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
W Where to send my papers, if at all? RFA 1
drewfester Where can I hide?? Diamond Lil's 16
BillyNoMates Where the tough blokes live. Diamond Lil's 18
R Where people are joining from? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
Sputnick Where i am at the moment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
jesse Where be it to then? Diamond Lil's 4
dapperdunn Where's Wally? Current Affairs 5
Tomahawk Where might Trident go? Current Affairs 34
finknottle Where is he? Diamond Lil's 8
alexissonice Where is it likely that I will based? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12
SONAR-BENDER Where's my sock......... Diamond Lil's 6
M Does anyone know where I can order RN Name badges to be delivered in a hurry-Exeter? The Quarterdeck 11
J If not in Syria when and where are we prepared to fight? Current Affairs 44
LujonSA Where is: some random inconsequential poster... The Gash Barge 28
Pontius Where's RR? Diamond Lil's 23
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
S OFFICERS AND GENTLEMEN - RN OFFICER TRAINING DOCUMENTARY.. (where can I watch it?) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3
T Where to stay at Torpoint Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
K Pension - Havent got a clue - where to start???? Finance & Pensions 10