Where do all the Loggie's go?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by cutter, May 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I heard it said on one of the threads that Loggie officers might only get one sea tour as a Subbie and another as Lt. Commander. Where do they go in the meantime? Are they placed in shore bases? If so, what are the main ones here and abroad?

I take it they don't get to Captain ships evetually. So what is their career path?

2. I think you need to look into this a bit more if you are seriously considering it as a career - people on here can give loads of advice but its no substitute for looking at other sources! Look on the RN website, go to the AFCO, go to Navy Days in Plymouth and talk to people who have done the exact job you're looking for!

Also, did we not work out your eyesight was pretty much ruling you out completely anyway?
  3. I found out more here about eyesight than my career liason officer gave me, he didn't know anything about it and is just sending me for an eye test. He also wasn't around when I visited earlier today for proper i/view.

If you can find what I asked about on the Royal Navy website I'd appreciate the link being posted, 'cos it ain't there mate.

I have the details of a Lt. currently serving who's a friend of a friend and thought I'd best explore all avenues of information, including this forum, before contacting him.

I'm visiting HMS Cumberland when docks up north next month...

...so in the nicest way possible, please don't talk to me like a complete knobber
  4. I'm just saying there is a wealth of information out there, how am I meant to know what else you've been doing? It's just some of your questions can seem a bit like a wah.

Here is a biog thing of an LO

and one of Cdre Stait (CO HMNB Clyde)

There are more things like that on the website - you just need to look around.
  5. Try looking at being a Supply Officer in the Royal Fleet Auxillary (RFA). You can find a link from the RN wed site. I believe they earn a bit less, but they don't pay income tax while at sea...! Also, you actually get a career at sea, rather than a couple of jobs. As a RN Loggie you will spend most of your career ashore doing paperwork which might not have anything to do with logistics. One reason for this is that the RFA actually provide the bulk of logistics for the RN.

I don't know anything about their eyesight requirements though, but it might be less than RN. Certainly worth examining.

Hope this helps and good luck.
  6. Hate to say it, but supply officers in the RFA have nothing to do with Logistics as such - they deal with personnel, hotel management and pay issues. The supply side of the RFA (the Fort class) is run by the DLO - the STO(N) section - DLO shore people who volunteer for 2 year appointments at sea (for double pay and weekends off when alongside), and they look after all aspects of the Cargo - dangerous goods, storing, replacing etc, which isn't touched by the Supply dept in the RFA.

That said, there is a strong Supply dept Mafia in the RFA at the moment, trying to take it all over so you might time it right and be lucky. Worth looking into, but there is very little military logistics as such involved.
  7. Best advice I can give is speak to your ACLO and arrange to go on a Logie aquaint. Its a 3 day course down at RALEIGH gives a good insight and you get chance to speak informally with serving pusser's.
  8. Eyesight isn't really such a problem for Loggies anymore and besides, as discussed offline with cutter, there are way's of improving this situation (corrective surgery - now permitted by the services with caveats).

Regarding the RAF Supply Officers; they have begun to move towards their RN counterparts over the last few years. They undertake some training at BRNC and then go onto RALEIGH for an abridged version of ILOC.

Depending on which ship they serve on, they can have a pretty wide range of duties - not all of which come under the standard logistics banner. They even do some limited medical training above and beyond the standard first aid stuff we get.

The real down side is the poor promotion (it can take ages) and they fact that they don't spend long enough (my opinion) in the same ship to really get to know it and their role (shame). Not met a bad one yet though.
  9. They get retired to the great sausage counting factory in the sky!
  10. Surely you mean bean counting ... ?