Where did you get your car from again?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by BillyNoMates, Apr 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Great name.....Not!!!
  2. Wouldn't want that car sticker on your back window!!!
  3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Kind of reminds me of when I was on the Sheffield, training up the Chileans for her handover. I was giving a couple of the lads a lift somewhere into town, and was behind a Mitsubishi Pajero. The Chilean lads all started giggling on sight of his spare tyre cover with "Pajero" written on it. When I asked what was funny they explained that in Chile, "Pajero" means wanker.
  4. Here's a few more

The Chevrolet El Camino. "El Camino" is Spanish for "The Walk." I suspect that Chevrolet chose this name because it sounded cool in 1959 (the year the first El Camino was manufactured), although they don't appear to have researched the phrase until it was too late. Who'd drive a car called "The Walk?"
    The Toyota Paseo. "Paseo" is a derivitave of the Spanish verb pasar, which also means "to walk." (There are a few different verbs for "walk" in Spanish.) This particular conjugation means "I walk." It may look like I'm driving a Japanese car, but in a distant reality that you can't see, I walk.
    The Honda Fitta. The Fitta was released in Scandinavian countries by Honda, who were apparently unaware of its colloquial meaning in the area's native languages -- "fitta" is slang (in Swedish, Finnish, Danish, and Norwegian) for female genetalia. It was renamed Jazz after Honda caught on.
    The Ford Prefect. This car was released only in the UK in 1939 and nobody knew what to make of it. Most assumed it was simply a misspelling of "Perfect." Perhaps Ford had meandered into a surrealist phase around the time this car was first released. If so, it didn't last long, and neither did the Prefect. "Prefect" does indeed seem to be an actual word, albeit obscure outside of the UK and Australia, meaning, basically, "hall monitor in primary school." "Ford Prefect" later came to be the name of a character in Douglas Adams' classic The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    The Ford Pinto. The Spanish translation of "Pinto" is "I paint," or, apparently "paint horses." Perhaps it should've been called "Estallo," which means "I explode." A pinto is also a type of bean. The Ford Pinto was hardly bean-sized -- you could sail to Iceland in one. "Pinto" also means "small penis" in particular Brazilian dialects of Portuguese. The Austin Maxi was another British innovation, this one from the 1970s. What do you normally think of when you hear the word "maxi?"
    The Mitsubishi Pajero. "Pajero" is apparently Mexican Spanish slang for "wanker."
    Volvo is Latin for "I roll," though I'd be hard-pressed to find a country that would mistake the two, the Vatican notwithstanding. from 409
    The Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, when translated into Japanese, apparently has a colloquial meaning of "pissing in the wind." from ponder
    The Diahatsu Charade kind of speaks for itself -- it was by all accounts a service department bill on wheels.
    The Diahatsu Naked is Diahatsu's newest addition (as of this writing in 2002) in a strangely monikered line of automobiles, available primarily in Japan and Australia.

5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

In North America the Jazz is actually called the Fit

Here's another one... In the 80s the Citroen AX was on sale in the UK - the original model designation proposed was the VD.
  6. In the 90's near Blackheath, SE London was a used car lot called "Tuck-em-up-Autos". While working in that area I also saw a builders van with "Bodgit and Legit Builders" written on the side

7. Vauxhall Nova; No go in Spanish.
  8. The Starion was reputedly named by a Japanese trying to say Stallion :)
  9. Pizza in Macaedonian apparently means c%^&.
    No wonder they all laughed when we said we wanted to eat it for tea when I was teaching there.