Where did the term draft come from?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by slim, Dec 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As an old & bold ex matelot I never ever questioned any of my drafts (though I may have stuck in a few preference draft forms)
    Now what I do not understand (and theresfeck all on titnternet) is why are members of the RN drafted and members of lesser forces drafted?
    Where did the term originate?

2. It's derived from "Draught", Slim, which itself has its roots in the Middle English "draht" and further back in a Germanic word "dragan" meaning to pull or draw.

It was first noticeable in the Gazette in 1703:

"Orders for making a considerable draught out of our garrison, in order to some expedition".

The idea is one of identifying someone in a large pool of people and then "pulling" or "drawing" him out of that pool in the direction you want him/her to go, so "drafting" him/her.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Soliel
    So why don't the pongoes use the term?

4. Cos they is thick!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Quote Soleil

The idea is one of identifying someone in a large pool of people and then "pulling" or "drawing" him out of that pool in the direction you want him/her to go, so "drafting" him/her. .... Slim drafted to Tain range :frustrated:

6. Not my choice as I informed the officer in charge at Tain.
    We only have volunteers here was his reply, send me back to Lossie was my retort.
    Lying bstard managed to get away about a year later by volunteering for a front line draft to 800:headbang:
    Great decision

• Like Like x 1
  7. Officers in the Army and RAF are 'posted'.....Officers in the Royal Navy are 'appointed'...........seen it somewhere ! :dontknow:

8. WO's in the mob have "appointers" as well, jolly jack (and jenny) has a blind drafting officer (sorry, branch manager today) and a dartboard :)

9. As a JR I was appointed to be POs messman on Eagle:whew:

10. As a killick I was appointed 'rum bosun' for the comms & S&S mess...........great draft ! :happy3:

11. Did you cross someones palm with silver:lol:

12. I had a deal with the SA(V) who dished up the rum...who was also a mess mate

we also had chefs in the mess so our nine o'clockers were a feast to behold....we had visitors from as far as the stokers mess.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. For the usual considerations one supposes? (can't find a smiley with the "come round" gesture):whew:

2BM

• Like Like x 1