Where can I get medals mounted in London?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Jim30, Oct 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys

Need to get a medal mounted on my Nos1's - can anyone suggest somewhere which can tailor my jacket accordingly at short notice?

Was thinking Gieves, but would welcome any other suggestions...

2. Try the tailor at Chelsea Barracks on Chelsea Bridge Road (nearest underground stn is Sloane Square). I got my medals mounted there a couple of years ago - very good job too!

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

4. Why wear it? You know you've got it. Keep it in a drawer. It also saves embarassment when marching with those who fought in WW2 and haven't got any medals to wear. Don't embarrass THEM.

5. ACC, Maybe Jim you should march in Civvies also, just in case there is someone of a lesser rank and they might be embarassed also.

Jim-You have earned the right to wear them, Wear your medals with pride.

6. One can earn the right to wear a medal but not necessarilty feel comfortable about it, that what I was really trying to say, rather clumsily.
    Sorry Jim and GCYZ.

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

AAC, your remark was crass and totally out of order.

8. ACC-Understood, have come across that sentiment before

9. I realise that now Janner. My point was that I would personally find it embarassing marching at a Remembrance Parade wearing a medal when someone else present who had fought in WW2 had none. To me that's not right. Individuals earn medals because they are noticed. Many brave men and women do the same actions but are unnoticed and their bravery fails to get official recognition. It has also been pointed out that many veterans gave their medals away when they were younger because they couldn't be bothered to sew the ribbons on their uniform. My grandad won several medals during WW1. He never talked about the War and kept his medals hidden in a drawer. He was grateful he came out with his life.

Apologies again for any offence I have caused.

10. Moving aside from the 'earned or not earned' argument (but in my opinion if you have been awarded it you have earned it even if that is only inasmuch as you were in the mob when the Queen 'reached the 50 years as monarch' point) - I think you will probably find that if awarded a medal, according to QRRN, you are improperly dressed if not wearing it when in uniform.

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

As far as know all WW2 and WW1 veterans earned and were awarded medals, ie Africa Star, for the various Theatres and Actions they were in.

12. Having risked my life (quite literally) on several occasions, I bloody well will make sure I wear my medal.
    I shall couple it with a sense of humility when I compare it to how others who fought in the war did.

13. Well perhaps they are in the same proverbial boat as those who gave theirs away. Or like my grandad, who never wore his.

Sorry again for any offence caused. :oops:

14. Whilst chatting about medals and getting them mounted etc...question for the masses....I am aware that you are able to wear the medals of a relative i.e. dad, grandfather etc but that they must be worn on the right side....how does this figure for ceremonial duties etc..I wouldnt dream of wearing them in a guard and to be honest probably wouldnt feel comfortable wearing them anyway...I have medals of my own for that..but my relative isnt in good health and cant make it to a rememberance parade but I think his deeds and acheivements should be represented just like any other veteran just a shame he cant do it in person!

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

To the best of my knowledge this is an old custom, however there is no current regulation permitting you to do so, however I may be stand corrected. Therefore I suggest contacting your own Ceremonial Training staff (at your own unit or nearest RN one to home) and ask them to check the references as, unfortunately (and despite the rumours!) I do not have a copy of BR 81 at home with me. :lol:

16. I believe you can wear them on your right breast in civvies. I think it would be frowned upon to wear them in uniform.

17. BR 81(Uniform regs.) is quite clear on the matter. In civvies you can wear Dad's medals, etc, on the right brest in remembrance. (Del wore uncle Albert's in one of the last Only Fools and Horses.) In uniform this is not a good idea as they may be confused with RNLI or Royal Humane Society Galantry awards which may be worn in uniform. They are worn on the right breast as they are not from the Crown. The exception to this are St John awards,the plain black ribbon, worn on the left by order of Queen Victoria.

I have not swallowed BR81, there was not room after I ate 1834 but I can assure you the above is baisicly correct.

18. Cheers, like I said I wouldnt wear them anyway, but was interested to know...to be honest I find wearing medals in the guard a pain...they tend to get bashed about and scratched really easy..probably something to do with the fact they are cheap as shit...seriously considering buying a set of replicas..!!

19. You're 'not going to wear them anyway', but you 'wanted to know where to get them mounted', and you're 'thinking of copies' :?

They are probably the only tangible thing you'll ever get from this government (certainly no extra money without it being taxed heavily), and you probably earned them anyway, so wear them and be proud of them, and save them for your children.
    :)

20. Have you seen the poor quality of the TELIC medal, trust me if I wear the medal for the remainder of my RNR career which hopefully is another good 15-20 years they will be f**ked by the time I get to be a veteran so to speak there will be nothing left to pass on!