Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where are the angry authors of today?

jesse

War Hero
I read that Stan Barstow has passed on to the big library in the sky. It set me thinking "Where are the tell it like it is fist in the face working class writers of today?" Alan Sillitoe
The Rag Man's Daughter, the loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Stan Barstow A kind of loving, Keith Waterhouse Billy Liar, John Brine Room at the Top, Kes cant remember the author but Ken Loach directed the film.They are classics in the true sense of the word. :naka:

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
I'm afraid that all the angry writers are across on ARRSE. Just go on to any of their threads and you can pick up all the anger you want!

I suppose the angry author has turned into the observer author as so many books nowadays are of this type. There are still some good authors of the angry brigade though like Iain Banks, Irvine Welsh - although even their books are being softened up in their old age.

jesse

War Hero
I forgot to mention that in my far from humble opinion the greatest book ever written about service life is "From Here To Eternity" by James Jones.

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I am writing an angry book at the moment, here is a synopsis of the plot:

When I were young, it were grim up north, my family had to save up to be poor.

I was a sensitive child (not gay or owt) and made an unlikely friendship (nothin' gay or owt) with an old man through having a common interest.

Blah, blah, blah, obvious cultural references to set story in context, working class cliches, miners strike, Margaret Thatcher, heavy drinking...

This life afirming story shows that despite the grim nature of working class life in the North the human spirit prevails.

The end.

Soon to be dramatised on channel 4, and critically acclaimed in the Guardian.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I am writing an angry book at the moment, here is a synopsis of the plot:

When I were young, it were grim up north, my family had to save up to be poor.

I was a sensitive child (not gay or owt) and made an unlikely friendship (nothin' gay or owt) with an old man through having a common interest.

Blah, blah, blah, obvious cultural references to set story in context, working class cliches, miners strike, Margaret Thatcher, heavy drinking...

This life afirming story shows that despite the grim nature of working class life in the North the human spirit prevails.

The end.

Soon to be dramatised on channel 4, and critically acclaimed in the Guardian.

You are Catherine Cookson and I claim the £5.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Pre-joining medical : where is it? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Charity regulator issues Official Warning and Order against school where children were exposed to terrorist propaganda MoD News 0
huwshpis Where's Sumo? The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS Application of building regulations where additional storeys are provided to existing buildings: circular 03/2020 MoD News 0
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
MoD_RSS ARTEMIS - jHubMed delivering innovation right where it is needed MoD News 0
J Where will I be based? (FAA) The Fleet Air Arm 7
Q Where do I stand - Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
U Where can I find an address to send a reference to? RFA 2
P Where did we go? The Quarterdeck 9
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
T Posh CPO epaulettes- Where can I ware them? The Quarterdeck 30
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
B FMG Football Team - Where did we play? Bases / Shore Est 4
W Where does Phase 2 training take place for Catering service? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
C Where the Royal Navy is operating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Where to get new uniform items? RFA 10
Keithdwat579 Where can I find the 1973 TV Show 'Warship'? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Service personnel want greater choice on where they get to live MoD News 0
D Where will I be based Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S where can I find World War Two D.S.M. citations? HMS Torbay Submariners 10
Stirlin I am a Precariat , where do you fit in ?. Diamond Lil's 25
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
W Where to send my papers, if at all? RFA 1
S Where does the RN stand with 'stress' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
drewfester Where can I hide?? Diamond Lil's 16
BillyNoMates Where the tough blokes live. Diamond Lil's 18
R Where people are joining from? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
Sputnick Where i am at the moment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
jesse Where be it to then? Diamond Lil's 4
dapperdunn Where's Wally? Current Affairs 5
Tomahawk Where might Trident go? Current Affairs 34
finknottle Where is he? Diamond Lil's 8
alexissonice Where is it likely that I will based? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12
SONAR-BENDER Where's my sock......... Diamond Lil's 6
M Does anyone know where I can order RN Name badges to be delivered in a hurry-Exeter? The Quarterdeck 11
J If not in Syria when and where are we prepared to fight? Current Affairs 44
LujonSA Where is: some random inconsequential poster... The Gash Barge 28
Pontius Where's RR? Diamond Lil's 23
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
S OFFICERS AND GENTLEMEN - RN OFFICER TRAINING DOCUMENTARY.. (where can I watch it?) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3
T Where to stay at Torpoint Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11