Where are the angry authors of today?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by jesse, Aug 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read that Stan Barstow has passed on to the big library in the sky. It set me thinking "Where are the tell it like it is fist in the face working class writers of today?" Alan Sillitoe
    The Rag Man's Daughter, the loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Stan Barstow A kind of loving, Keith Waterhouse Billy Liar, John Brine Room at the Top, Kes cant remember the author but Ken Loach directed the film.They are classics in the true sense of the word. :naka:

2. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm afraid that all the angry writers are across on ARRSE. Just go on to any of their threads and you can pick up all the anger you want!

I suppose the angry author has turned into the observer author as so many books nowadays are of this type. There are still some good authors of the angry brigade though like Iain Banks, Irvine Welsh - although even their books are being softened up in their old age.

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Greendeath get's pretty angry with me when I point out his books are shite.

4. I forgot to mention that in my far from humble opinion the greatest book ever written about service life is "From Here To Eternity" by James Jones.

5. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

I am writing an angry book at the moment, here is a synopsis of the plot:

When I were young, it were grim up north, my family had to save up to be poor.

I was a sensitive child (not gay or owt) and made an unlikely friendship (nothin' gay or owt) with an old man through having a common interest.

Blah, blah, blah, obvious cultural references to set story in context, working class cliches, miners strike, Margaret Thatcher, heavy drinking...

This life afirming story shows that despite the grim nature of working class life in the North the human spirit prevails.

The end.

Soon to be dramatised on channel 4, and critically acclaimed in the Guardian.

6. You are Catherine Cookson and I claim the £5.