When to hand in notice

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by muskovardo, Jan 2, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Off to basic 1st March and currently working in a call centre. I have to give a months notice and i was hoping to finish 2 weeks before leaving. That also falls on the same date as payday for me so would be ideal. My problem is i'm still waiting for security check to clear. I have had to submit more information on my financial situation. I submitted my check on 17th October but i understand it is probably taking more time due to Christmas as well.

If i do not work my full months notice then i could lose out on a bit of money from commissions. So not too sure what to do. Anyone else had a similar problem?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Give your AFCO a call after Monday. If DBS have completed the basic checks, it's usually possible for a waiver to be granted to permit entry. If a waiver can be granted, barring all disasters, you're usually "good to go".

With regard the FQ, as long as you're managing debts to the satisfaction of your creditors rather than ignoring them, you are usually OK as long as you're completely honest.

Good luck.
  3. Cheers NS I keep sending them extra information on my debt as and when I get it. Sold my car to pay a load of it off as well. I have spoken to someone at DBS and they didn't seem to think I would have a problem. I'll phone the Afco Monday and see what they say,. Want the time off but in the same instance not much point losing out on money
  4. I have a similar issue. I start at BRNC on the 9th of Feb and need to submit my notice within the next week or so but my final aircrew medical clearance hasn't come through yet. :/. I'm planning on ringing the AFCO on Monday as well to chat with them. Hope your security clearance comes through soon pal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Worst comes to the worst and ill just have to not work any notice, being in sales though could lose me a bit of money and I'm not one to burn bridges as you never know what the future holds.
  6. Do they know your situation? You could speak to them and ask to hand in your notice pending security clearance. You never know, with you joining the forces they may be accommodating.

7. The problem I have is they don't know I am joining and I only started 2 months ago haha
  8. Oh right aha fair enough. Maybe not then. My employer have been really helpful throughout the whole process so I guess I'm on of the lucky ones.

• Braindead Braindead x 1
  9. Yeah I wasn't expecting to get my date so early so started a new job, couldn't tell them in interview or wouldn't have got it!
  10. Yeah fair enough. It will be annoying to miss out on commission but worth it in the long run.

11. Yeah I suppose, been a good month though haha!
  12. So after all that worrying it has work out all good. Security check through today (finally can stop checking that bloody site) 2 weeks off work paid and then off to basic!
  13. Ah brill news!! All the best for phase 1

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iv been worrying about how long my security clearance was taking aswell but after checking today its all completed, happy days!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Maybe they sign them off in one batch or something. When did you do yours Haddon?
  16. October time. Was my second one so wasnt expecting it to take so long
  17. Mine was November and my second one. God knows what they do