When the Yanks run aground…

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Oil_Slick, Feb 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. During Typhoon Rose in 1971, the real Navies went out to sea from Hong Kong harbour.
    The Yanks sent two Warships into harbour. Well, they tried to.
    When we came back into Hong Kong 2 days later, both Yank warships had run aground in the storm just outside the harbour. 8O
    It was a bad storm though, it sank one of the ferries killing 69 people and 3 Dutch Sailors died after being washed over the side of one of their Frigates just as it left for sea. :(
  2. I don't believe that on this occasion they have done. I reckon that Nottingham's effort easily blackcats this one.

3. Ya reckon? :wink:

Old and clapped out T42, all 4.800 tons of it, well away from public gaze…

USN's biggest swinging dick, a $1 Billion Anti Ballistic Missile capable Cruiser, the conerstone of the USA's plans to shot down all those evil North Korean and Iranian ICBM's, all 10,000 tons of it only half a mile off the end of Honolulu's International airport…

Trust me, the Cousins are dying of embarrassment over this one! She's VERY stuck and it's not looking good.
  4. I'm sure the colonials are blushing a wee bit, but after all it's stuck on a bit of sand, it doesn't have a hoofin' gert big hole in its bottom and it's not going to sink in minutes few. I'll bet their navi is going to have to put a thick book down the back of his trousers whilst he gets his aris spanked, gets made to sit on the naughty bollard then has to get the port in for the wardroom for a few days.
  5. Still firmly stuck, they broke some 4" hawsers trying to pull her off yesterday… They are looking at dredging her out now.

Getting stuck on a coral reef in a part of the world with only 3' tids is not going to do the CO's career any good.
  6. What was it Will Smith said on Independence Day.

7. I see from the link that they are going to pump 200 tons of fuel out of the ship, will that make much difference or is this just desperation?

I wonder if the Captain is considering a second career, as for example a maritime consultant. :D
  8. Not just mentioning Nottingham but we all forgot about Brazen down Chile way, when the crew jumping up and down on the flght deck in a vain attempt to get her free. Or shiny new Grafton trashing herself, some of our officers can be just as incompetent as our American fellas. Imean how long has Torpoint had a ferry, didnt stop a Leander from ramming it. I was on Cornwall when our Navi decided that the RFA that we was rassing with looked better wearing our port yardarm.
  9. Maybe so, but running aground outside your home port is pretty classic, it's not as if the entrance to Pearl Harbor is very narrow and restricted like Pompey. :wink:
  10. It must have been horrendous for the ship's company. Imagine the terror, terror, terror... :D
  11. I think this one was a wee bit bad

The Honda Point Disaster was the largest peacetime loss of U.S. Navy ships. On the evening of September 8, 1923, seven destroyers, while traveling at 20 knots (37 km/h), ran aground at Honda Point, a few miles from the northern side of the Santa Barbara Channel off the California coast. Two other ships grounded, but were able to maneuver free of the rocks. Twenty-three sailors died in the mishap ...The ships were total losses. They were stricken from the Register, stripped of useable equipment and sold to a scrapper for $1,035. No salvage work was done, and the ships remain where they were wrecked. Chauncey's remains are still visible. The area is now part of Vandenberg AFB
    The lost ships were:
    USS Delphy (DD-261) was the flagship in the column. She ran aground on the shore at 20 knots (37 km/h). After running aground, she sounded her siren. The siren alerted some of the later ships in the column, helping them avoid the tragedy. Three men died. There was one civilian aboard Delphy. Eugene Dooman, a Japan expert with the State Department, was aboard as a guest of Captain Watson; they had first met in Japan.

USS S. P. Lee (DD-310) was following a few hundred yards behind. She saw Delphy suddenly stop, and turned to port (left) in response. She ran into the coast.

USS Young (DD-312) made no move to turn. She tore her hull open on submerged rocks. The water rushed in, and capsized her onto her starboard (right) side within minutes. Twenty men died.

USS Woodbury (DD-309) turned to starboard, but ran into an offshore rock.

USS Nicholas (DD-311) turned to port and also hit a rocky outcropping.

USS Fuller (DD-297) piled up next to Woodbury.

USS Chauncey (DD-296) made an attempt to rescue sailors atop the capsized Young. She ran aground nearby.
    Light damage was recorded by:
    USS Farragut (DD-300) ran aground, but was able to extricate herself. She was not lost.

USS Somers (DD-301) was lightly damaged.

The remaining five avoided the rocks:
    USS Percival (DD-298)
    USS Kennedy (DD-306)
    USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307)
    USS Stoddert (DD-302)
    USS Thompson (DD-305)

12. Actually, it is pretty grim onboard at the mo, Air Conditioners water ducts are blocked by the sand and it's another hot stick day in Hawaii.

13. [​IMG]

14. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

"D'ye here there: Terror, terror, terror. Terror in the Homeland. Assume Over-reaction state 1 condition Zulu: spare hands muster at the Dept of Homeland Security and implement Operation Stable Door Closing. S'all"
  15. I was onboard HMS Achilles in 1975, we were going across the channel just after leaving Guernsey, it was just after midnight, it was thick with fog and despite the fact we had radar, we managed to hit a 250,000 ton supertanker, it took 28 feet off our bows and covered the ship in crude oil.
    We initially limped into pompey to assess the damage, and we had the piss ripped out of us by every ships company in the harbour.
    The next day the ship was sent on its way, (very slowly) to Guzz and when we arrived we had the piss ripped out of us by every ships company and his dog.
    An admiralty car was waiting for the skipper when we got alongside, We never saw him again.
    The ship was out of action for six months, which suited us as it kept us out of the icelandic cod wars...which is where we were heading for when we hit the tanker in the first place!
  16. From a US source…

"They're actually moored just adjacent to us now - they're not allowed to touch ANYTHING on their ship - we did their lines and their shore power and also wrote the change of command message for them saying CAPT is Relieved by new CAPT.

Initial news: Only navigation equipment that was up was Furuno. Commonly used civilian surface search/navigation radar.)No SPS-73, GPS on The fritz, no fathometer and no pitsword. The ship was not at navigation detail.

The Navigator was not on the bridge, but the QMC was (who is navigation qualified - plus I went through navigation school with him last year and he's a really good guy). Not clear as to when the CO arrived on the bridge or if he was up there when it happened.

Conflicting reports that the QMC/QMOW advised standing into danger and were either ignored/not heeded by the CO and/or OOD.

Despite what the news was saying, the Admiral was not on-board when it happened. He went out by whale boat the next morning to check it out, we saw him depart the harbor first hand.

Sonar dome's all but gone. Confirmed that there are no blades left on the port screw, and initial rumors that all blades on the starboard screw are gone, as well. Port shaft is bowed (she was aground on her dome and her port shaft). Sonar and fwd Aegis skid were flooded out.

They were aground for 78 hours in very, very plain view of the entire city of Honolulu. They had no potable water, A/C, and very little food. We helped with a massive waterfront relief effort to boat out supplies to them the morning after. The crew was sleeping in the hanger and on the flight deck for at least a couple of nights.

They will be in dry dock by the end of the week, and will probably take anywhere from 4-6 months to repair (damage estimates are not complete yet).

As for the actual incident... They were 4500 yards to the East of where all of the Pearl Harbor ships do boat ops. It makes a big difference, as the shoals spike out a lot at the eastern edge of the runway (where they went aground).

She had no business being where she was. I've been on two ships out here now, and I've never been in the vicinity of where she ended up. Nobody outside the investigation knows why she was where she was. Very sad overall for the ship and crew. They'd just gotten done with 4 months of combined selected restricted availability and dry-dock. The CO had just taken over back in October. He'd been underway on his new ship for a total of 12 hours before running aground.

It's bad out here; lots of scrutiny and just unpleasantness around the waterfront. As I'm sure you seen, it was a VERY public grounding - very embarrassing for the Navy and The waterfront.

We're all eager to hear the results of the investigation, but for now, it does appear that they just made one bone-headed decision after another that eventually put them in 8 feet of water, hard aground."
  17. With Reference to HMS ACHILLES; I remember from my time onboard about 6 years later that she was given a complete Type 12 (I think) bow rather than a replacement Leander Class Frigate bow so she always looked slightly different from other Leander Class ships.
  18. Subic Bay c1968,USN ammo carrier comes in at action stations [John Wayne's to a man ],forgets to hit breaks,.hits wooden jetty and I swear that the whole harbour moved 12 feet N.NW :lol: .WTF they were at action stations for is a mystery as the Cong chaps had no aircraft.Still it made for a shorter walk to the knocking shops [ I was told ]
  19. Oh come on everyone, the RN managed to sink a submarine (Artemis) alongside at Dolphin ffs, so although it's amusing to see the Septics get it wrong as well, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"!