When does the RMRs recruit in the year?

Discussion in 'RMR' started by Hoofingrunashore, Dec 1, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to join the Royal Marines Reserves when I turn 16. However, I've been told they're only open for training/recruitment in September and my 16th is in November and I'm joining the Regular Marines when I turn 18 and I want to do 2 years reserves whilst I do my A-levels. Could someone tell me exactly when they recruit?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

They recruit throughout the year, but most units only have one recruit troop that starts each year. Start dates vary depending on the unit. Commence the selection process about 6 months before the RMR recruit troop start date to mitigate against any unforseen delays (medical, injuries, PJFT, etc)

RMR training will involve attending about 40+ drill nights and probably 30+ training weekends over the 18 months training period. Once you achieve your Green Beret through the RMR, you should be aware that if you subsequently wish to join the regular Royal Marines, you will have to complete recruit training from scratch.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Okay thanks you. Also, will I get paid during training or only when I get my green beret?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You get paid throughout training - 1/4 of a day's pay for each drill night & about £45 a day for each full day.

5. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Hoofing ambition there young shaver - anyone who can do the Commando course part time whilst completing their A levels is going to go a long way.

In addition to what Ninje says, you'll also get a Tax Free Bounty, paid leave (every 10 days you do, you'll get an 11th day's pay) and a service railcard. Plus money off at loads of places on production of service ID (KFC, Cinemas, Costas, to name but 3). You rate of pay will go up when you get through the various phases of training, and are no longer a 'Nod'. And you'll be beating the ladies off with a stick.

I was always under the impression that, during training, the cap comforter was worn first, then the black beret with RM badge, then the highly coveted Green lid. But some RMR chaps recently informed me that this is actually quite the reverse. So wearing the crappest hat is actually a sign of some progress...

The starting rate for new entry is £36.75 a day. Commando qualified Marine it's £45.61 rising to £62.96.

Good luck.