When does the PJFT take place?

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
I passed my medical on Tuesday (or so the doctor said - not sure if I will get an official "you passed" message from Capita, but you guys will know).

After, I asked the guys on the desk if anything needed to be done now - and they said no. I haven't received any email or call regarding the PJFT, so like the other threads mentioned (yes, I did search!), will I need to call them on Monday to book the test?

I guess if it's done only when the candidate requests, it gives them time to get fit enough - but I want to check with you guys to be sure.

Ring your AFCO on Monday. I got a phone call the morning after my medical and an email with the address and contact details of your local Nuffield gym so you can book your test and a form that you need print out and take down on the day.

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
I'll do that then. I think I'm fit enough, but I have loads of exams and I'd rather avoid doing the test in between exams. I wonder how long I can delay it?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The PJFT email/letter is sent as soon as the med docs are received back at the AFCO declaring "Fit For entry".

Reason? Many applicants hear the doc say "You've passed everything..." but completely miss the: ..."we just need to write to your GP to find out a bit more regarding your issue which involved x, y, z".

For ratings the PJFT must be taken within two weeks of receipt of the PJFT letter/email. For Officers? 28 days. Why the difference? Good question.

You have 14days to book and complete the run, can I ask why ten minutes on a treadmill will affect your exams ?
Spot on.

The PJFT takes less than five minutes to book and for most people less than 11 minutes to crack. Given that the contracted gyms are open in many areas, 7 days a week until 22:00 o'clock most evenings, it's a bit of a lame excuse claiming extra time is required due to "exams".

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
Ah, so they do officially write back to say whether you've passed or not. I've read the two weeks thing before, but not seen the 28 days for officers. Good to hear.

RAM28

Midshipman
The only confirmation I got sent was a congratulations within my email saying I need to book the pjft a few days after passing the medical, you also need to book the pjft within a week of receiving the email and complete it within 28 days if you're joining as an officer.
Good luck!

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
On reflection, yes, there is no need to wait; I'll book the test for whatever convenient time is next.

However, I have nothing to book - is it normal to wait about 10 days to hear back for official results? And if I've been waiting too long, is it worth calling the AFCO or do I have to chase up Capita directly?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Your AFCO are probably waiting for your med docs but they can check the medical portal to verify you've been passed fit to enter and email the pjft letter. Just call your AFCO to request they send the pjft email.

RAM28

Midshipman
I received an email 4 days after passing the medical congratulating me also the email contained attachments regarding the pjft, I'm sure every person experiences a varied waiting time though

And I've missed it for this week.

Oh well, guess I'll have to get on it early on Monday. I guess if they're just waiting for medical docs like you said, Ninja, it doesn't matter too much.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yep, unfortunately AFCOs only seem to be open when students are still in bed ;)

For reference/context, my son has just completed his first year exams at uni.

I'm too young for uni, so I still get up at a reasonable hour, but then school lasts for pretty much all the time they're open.

Can't have it too easy, I guess.