When can I get Services Family Accomodation?

ManchesterMan

Midshipman
Hello everyone,

I’m currently in my Phase 1 training at Raleigh, I’m on the Accelerated Apprenticeship scheme for Aircraft Engineering. My training is quite long:

- 10 weeks INT at Raleigh
- 14 weeks at Sultan
- 23 weeks at an airbase
- 51 weeks back at Sultan
- Finally a 4 week Leadership course

I do actually have a child on the way, due in December. I’m just wondering at what point will I be eligible for SFA? I’ve read different things online. Some places it says after Phase 1 training, some says after you’ve completely finished your training. I would ideally like to get in SFA during that 51 weeks at Sultan. Can anybody help me with this?
Thanks

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Hello everyone,

I’m currently in my Phase 1 training at Raleigh, I’m on the Accelerated Apprenticeship scheme for Aircraft Engineering. My training is quite long:

- 10 weeks INT at Raleigh
- 14 weeks at Sultan
- 23 weeks at an airbase
- 51 weeks back at Sultan
- Finally a 4 week Leadership course

I do actually have a child on the way, due in December. I’m just wondering at what point will I be eligible for SFA? I’ve read different things online. Some places it says after Phase 1 training, some says after you’ve completely finished your training. I would ideally like to get in SFA during that 51 weeks at Sultan. Can anybody help me with this?
Thanks
Maybe the UPO would be a good start.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
And it's normally after 6 months and when you have a draft to the area where you want to live.

But as has been said, that's what your DO and the UPO are for, don't take what I've said as gospel.

crash_evans

War Hero
And it's normally after 6 months and when you have a draft to the area where you want to live.

But as has been said, that's what your DO and the UPO are for, don't take what I've said as gospel.
It is this. An assignment to any location (base port area) for more than six months in duration.

Make sure it’s somewhere you want to live. For example, you might only be in Pompey for Phase 2 for six months and then move to Guzz for your sea going assignment. It might be worth waiting, instead of moving twice.

Accommodation in all areas is tight with millions being pumped into Married Accommodation. So it might be a wait anyway. Be aware there is the new accommodation model trial ongoing with the option to locally rent or buy. Might be worth looking into if you are in a trial area.

edited to add link to the NFF.

ManchesterMan

Midshipman
It is this. An assignment to any location (base port area) for more than six months in duration.

Make sure it’s somewhere you want to live. For example, you might only be in Pompey for Phase 2 for six months and then move to Guzz for your sea going assignment. It might be worth waiting, instead of moving twice.

Accommodation in all areas is tight with millions being pumped into Married Accommodation. So it might be a wait anyway. Be aware there is the new accommodation model trial ongoing with the option to locally rent or buy. Might be worth looking into if you are in a trial area.

edited to add link to the NFF.
Thanks for that. I see you’ve said you have to be posted somewhere for more than 6 months to qualify. Are there any options for short term SFA that you know of? I’m sure I read it somewhere but can’t remember where. I also understand that I should be asking these questions to my DO’s, but they’re not back till tomorrow and thought I’d try and get a head start on here. Thanks for the replies though.

crash_evans

War Hero
Thanks for that. I see you’ve said you have to be posted somewhere for more than 6 months to qualify. Are there any options for short term SFA that you know of? I’m sure I read it somewhere but can’t remember where. I also understand that I should be asking these questions to my DO’s, but they’re not back till tomorrow and thought I’d try and get a head start on here. Thanks for the replies though.
Have a read through the links I’ve sent. This one in particular. I’m assuming you are married?

crash_evans

War Hero
I don’t believe there is an option for short term SFA unless you are separated and have full custody of a child.

crash_evans

War Hero
Section I – Entitled Service Personnel
0301. Entitlement Criteria. To be entitled to SFA Service personnel must be:
a. Aged 18 or over, have completed Phase 1 training22 and be serving on a regular engagement with the UK Armed Forces, or be a Full Commitment (FC) Reservist as defined in single Service instructions. For those personnel under 18 years of age the parent unit must accept responsibility for their behaviour until the 18th birthday.
b. In Personal status category (PStatCat) 1 (See footnote23), 1C, 1S or 2 as defined in JSP 752, Chapter 2 Section 2.
c. Have at least 6 months to serve at the station where they qualify for SFA apart from the following exception:
(1) Those Service personnel who have been selected for compulsory redundancy and have been given 6 months or less notice. In these circumstances, Service personnel will be entitled to SFA at the location where they have been assigned for their last 6 months or less. If there is no SFA available within a 10-mile radius of that location, NHPHD will offer SFA further afield; the applicant will not be entitled to SSFA but would be entitled to apply for surplus SFA in accordance with Chapter 9.

ManchesterMan

Midshipman
Have a read through the links I’ve sent. This one in particular. I’m assuming you are married?

Not married, no. However didn’t think that that was a requirement anymore?
Going to have a thorough read of all the links you sent, and then discuss what the current options are with my DWO.

Latest Threads