When can i apply?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tomjj, May 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey been looking at forum for a while now but thought I should join. Went for an officer presentation this morning and now have the forms to fill in to officially start the application process off. I heard it takes about 4-6 months but what I was wondering was when can I actually apply.

I 'stand down' from school in two weeks and then it is just a matter of 3 A2 level exams at the start of June. I need to work on my fitness and also a bit on service knowledge but could I potentially send back the forms today, before I get my A2 results?

Thanks for any help

2. I dont know what A2 exams are. Are you in the UK or are you a commonwealth citizen?
    It depends on age. As far as im aware you can apply at 15.5 years (with parents consent). And start when you are 16 and left scool (you do not need to have left school to apply)
    Hope this helps.

3. I would imagine you can still apply as you should have predicted grades for your A2 exams (you should have a good indication of your course work grades already). They may want to offer you a provisional place - conditional on you getting your grades.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Correct.

Start the application sooner rather than later, you can always defer your entry date pending your A2 results, but you cannot bring the entry date forward if you apply later.

For those younger & less qualified than yourself: you can start an application from the age of 15 years & 9 months for rating only.

5. I began my initial inquiry back in my first term of AS Levels (way back in November 2005!), I will be joining Dartmouth in June. Start as soon as you can!

If you are planning on going in as a Non-Graduate, I would strongly advise getting a job you would be happy to do for over a year as even if you pass the AIB, you are not guaranteed a place at Dartmouth and may have to wait upto a year to find out that your score was not good enough to get you a place.

Best of Luck in your application.

6. Ok thanks everyone. By any chance anyone know roughly how long it is from applying to first interview? The only problem is that I am going on holiday end of July for 10 days so it may be a better idea to start the process after this? Or wont it matter if I tell them?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Nail, head, struck correctly.

8. 10 days away will not affect your application, may help to stop you rushing to the door every 5 minutes to see if the postmans been though.
    Just think, when you get back there might be a lovely fat buff envelope with OHMS on it, full of more forms to fill in.
    Happy hols.
    NZB

9. ok thanks filled in most of the form today. Just wondering, is it true that navy deployments are shorter but more of them as opposed to RAF or is this just utter rubbish? Looking to go for Pilot/Observer and then maybe ATC if I didn't get one of those two (most likely). Want to be an officer so anyone would be great

10. Ninja_Stoker

Wise words.