when can a recruit leave the RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jollysailor, Feb 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me. My step son to be joined 3 weeks ago as an ETME(SM). He's done well by being given the job of class leader. The thing is we all know how sh1t that job can be, so hes got the old 2/3 week blues and has mentioned to his g/f he's gonna leave after basic training.
    I have pointed out that Raleigh is not the real RN. His g/f says he wants to do this so he can say to future employers he at least completed basic training, but it doesn't give him much in the way of qualifications unlike completing the ETME course.
    I think the first thing they will say is how come you only lasted 8 weeks !!!!!
    We both think she is having some influence on him as she never wanted him to join up.
    Anyway to cut a long story short and get to the point ( too late i know ), what are the exit points for trainees. I believe that once he passes out he has to complete his ET training and then do return of service.
    I would appreciate any info and i know Ninja will probably be the best person for that.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

After "signing on" the individual may submit 14 days notice to leave after serving 28 days up until 6 months (26th week) of service. After that they have to complete their Standard Initial Training Period (SITP) then complete 2.5 years return of service before they may submit 12 months notrice to leave.

EVERYONE has a "crisis of confidence" coming up to the 4 week point. Ideally the individual requires support & encouragement from home in order to continue - like many people are aware, there are countless dozens that leave because of a partner, then subsequently split-up only to find they cannot re-join, sometimes for between 12-24 months after submitting Premature Voluntary Release (PVR) depending on what Raleigh recommend.

Whilst it is indeed a personal achievement completing Phase One training, the average employer will logically question why it's numbered and what other phases did the individual fail to complete.

Good luck- the tip is to encourage him to stay in the knowledge that if it doesn't get better when he moves into the academic/technical phase of training, then he still has 6 months to leave. Without doubt if he leaves, he will regret it & it takes months to re-join if he changes his mind again. Often it's simply an issue of home-sickness, not helped by someone being selfish and destabilising the mindset of the trainee.

Good luck to him.

3. cheers, many thanks

4. Tell him to bite the bullet and continue training.
    Once he leaves Raleigh things will get better. If he can manage to complete part two training he will find life a lot better in the field.
    Even if he only completes three or four years in the service he will have much more to offer an employer than the fact he completed basic training. in fact some employers may see it as a failing that he gave up so Son.
    Best of luck for your son. Don't forget the RN has the divisional system which is in place to help with problems like this. Advise your son to have a chat with either his divisional chief or divisional officer.

5. Tell him to stay, my younger brother joined the RN and loved it. Like your lad the G/F was pulling him home and at the end of basic training he left. 3 months later him and his G/F split up and he never went back to the RN. To this day he regrets not staying. (25yrs ago)

Shaun

6. Thanks for the replies. You have all confirmed exactly what i said to the other half about her son. Hopefully it will make her feel beter about the fact that its not uncommon for this sort of thing to happen.
    I may have felt that way 24 years ago, when i joined but honestly cannot remember.
    As you can imagine all she wants is the best for him and as he has spent all his time drifting from job to job/college in the last 3 years, it was always gonna be a bit of an uphill struggle.
    With any luck he will get over this patch see what he can get out of the mob and if it eventually isnt for him then at least he will have some bits of paper to show for it.

7. I do not appreciate being blamed for my boyfriends decision to leave the navy! he has his own mind and it is his choice to leave. No i wasn't that happy about him joining the navy, but i doubt any girlfriend would be pleased that their boyfriend was leaving them for 8 weeks. I could have easily said to him "if you go in the navy i am finishing you"! but i would never do that, i wanted him to try it to see if it was for him, and it obviously isn't. The real reason he is leaving is because he does not enjoy it, doesn't like the people as they are all up themselves and isn't happy atal, i want him be happy and if he isn't happy then i'm not happy! and the people who said i would finish him after a few months, well you know nothing about our relationship, i love him and i never want to live without him.

8. You go girl!!
    WAH!!!

9. Think I'd even join the Navy to get out of there............ :thumright: :thumright:

Shaun

10. It's just to easy... WAH!

Come on, own up who is it?

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, Samantha or minnie?

Eeny, Minnie, Mo.

A complete wind-up unfortunately by a known troll.

Thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.