When are we going to invade Pakistan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by slim, Sep 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Using Labour party logic we must ensure the safety of our citizens from terrorism.
    To do this if neccessary we must invade a country and defeat the terrorists.

How web of intelligence led to Pakistan

Birmingham baker's son with links to al-Qa'ida thought to be behind plot

By Cahal Milmo, Chief Reporter

Tuesday, 8 September 2009

The links between the British conspirators of the liquid bomb plot and Pakistan are defined by a Birmingham baker's son with links to al-Qa'ida who is suspected of playing a key role in a succession of attacks on the UK.

Rashid Rauf is widely believed by British intelligence sources to have been a key co-ordinator and planner of the conspiracy to blow up airliners travelling from Britain to at least seven North American cities. Indeed, it was the unexpected arrest of the 25-year-old Briton, allegedly as a result of White House pressure on the Pakistani authorities, which led to the bringing forward of the Scotland Yard operation to arrest the liquid bomb suspects in August 2006 at a time when police were still gathering evidence on their plot

Obviously this logic is flawed....................Time to bring the troops back from Afghanistan :evil: :evil:
  2. Absolutely Slim.

And going by other logic, which is to prevent atrocities and bring justice and democracy to those countries guilty of humanitarian crimes, we should be spending a fcuk of a lot of time in Africa too.
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Has Zimbabwe struck oil then? If so game on.
  4. We don't need to most of the terrorists are in Britain anyway if you believe the press.
  5. Why your want to invade Pakistan, ou after another free holiday?
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I'm not sure that's Labour party (or any other party) logic to be honest, the state couldn't give a toss about its citizens as individuals if we're honest, the state is only interested in the state therefore to invade countries on a whim isn't a particularly good way of protecting the state!

Pakistan isn't a black and white issue, our best intelligence comes from Pakistan and the ISI field staff who have been embedded for the last 20 or so years in Afghanistan funded by the US administration. It is also supposedly a significant intelligence weakness where ISI agents- who still have very strong ties to the Mujahideen and Taliban (they trained them in terrorist tactics along with the CIA remember to fight the soviets) - are pre-warning their friends about US strikes. The Pakistani Government have declared themselves in support of the "war for oil" oops I mean "the war on terror" and are therefore our friends, they've been struck off GWB's Axis of Evil. (although alledgedly it took a US SoS to threaten to bomb them back to the stoneage before they complied)

So, many shades of greyness - a government that openly supports the mission in Aghanistan with a military and intelligence organisation who aren't really quite sure why their dear old friends have suddenly become their enemy - the ISI and thier friends must sit around and drink a lot of tea worrying over it when they aren't planning terrorist attacks on Indian cities.

Rauf is (probably) dead anyway, I'm sure there are a lot more Midlands born bakers sons who are being followed around the border regions by a trail of intelligence services from all over the world, he is/was smallfry or you wouldn't have read about it in the press
  7. In Israel the authorities bulldoze the homes of those terrorists families.
    Where you have one bad apple in a barrel there will often be others.
    Would the answer be to deport family groups who are proved to be involved in terrorist plots. The US has about 6 million muslims, but don't seem to have the same problem as we do.
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Bulldoze Bradford and flatten Leeds? That does sound very appealing but I reckon a tree hugger would raise objections because of some random elm tree somewhere.
  9. chieftiff

Hmm! Israel that beacon of light in a tragic world....hardly, more a nation keen to demonstrate a hardline approach which is frankly not, and never has, worked to the benefit of anybody. "An eye for an eye makes the world go blind" to quote the great man. Destroying families is hardly a way of preventing radicalisation is it!

I'm not sure where you do your reading either but I would suggest that the USA has exactly the same challenges as we do with regards to the integration of immigrants from whatever faith, they have biggots too on both sides, in fact wiki has a good article you might want to read:Integration read the whole artcle though not just the integration section which seems to hover around Daily Mail reader type perceptions in their phone poll.

As for deporting terrorist families, we can't even deport known illegal immigrants effectively so perhaps a bit more thinking outside the box may be in order.
  10. There's no need to invade all we need to do is send a Gunboat.
  11. A bit cavalier if you ask me. How many families in the UK have family members who get up to no good and no-one in the family knows anything about it or who try to deal with it but are just up against it all the time? Drugs, car theft, football violence, you name it!

For crying out loud try dealing with a houseful of teenagers and you can start to see what sort of problems some families are faced with day in and day out through no fault of their own.

To blame an entire family for the actions of one family member is wholly unacceptable as a means of "dealing with the problem". Of course there are scumbag families of every hue and religious leaning and there are an even greater number where one bad apple proves a challenge for family and society alike.

Let's try to keep a sense of balance on this issue and leave the bigotry behind.
  12. The reference to "families" was purely to demonstrate that where the family knew about the radicalisation of family members who actively sought to join in the carnage, and did nothing whatsoever to avert the situation, either by using a mullah with an understanding and belief in the principles of a peaceful muslim tradition and assimilation into the community. Or to the authorities.
    We see on the news 2nd or even third generation muslims yelling abuse and hatred at homecomming troops. Mullahs who are fanatical praying for carnage openly on the streets. These thankfully are condemned by the Muslim Council of Great Britain. It does nothing to allay the anxieties or fears of the man in the street. Fears and hatred are generated by the selective media outlets who have a vested political interest and seek to destabilize.
    Polititians don't seem to have an answer, and viewing programmes from Al jaheeza don't offer a solution. The middle east has always been a problem and will continue to be so. The main problem is the lack of a longterm decent plan that enables man to live in harmony, but it won't come in our time or even our childrens. Unstable countries, like Iran, Venezuala, Somali, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Congo. one could go on.
    The problem on the streets is Assimilation into that countrys society, up one level its purely about power, oil, mineral, water rights.
    Take away the religious fanatical element from the equasion and you have Russia, Chile,Argentina, Great Britain, Canada, the US waiting to exploit the worlds untapped resources, as soon as the ice caps dissapear, most willing to fight over it.
    What is your answer to the worlds ills?
  13. chieftiff

In all honesty you are making it more complicated than it is, have a read, some interesting idea's here, no solutions though!: Controlling the chaos or creating it?
  14. Does anyone think that this war could spill out into Pakistan in much the same way as Laos and Cambodia got dragged into Vietnam?
  15. It already has

16. It already has

17. I guess so, to some extent within the Swat Valley and Border Regions. I just hope India doesn't get dragged in as well. Two nuclear powers at war. KABOOM! End-ex.
  18. chieftiff

Hmm, Kashmir and it's Muslim population, Mumbai, Azam Amir Kasab...... I think India are already well and truly involved with Pakistan, the only question really is how long can the US prevent them from ripping each other apart!
  19. I think China may have more to say in that regard then the US, it is after all "their" backyard? And lately China has become really concerned with India's movement to modernize their military weapons, i.e. the new Submarine just launched.....so that whole area is a ticking time bomb.... :wink:

Tick...tick....tick....tick...... 8O
  20. I like the bit about cracking a coconut on the hull as opposed to champagne, much wiser to drink it than waste it.