Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What's you favourite "Jack" film?

A lesser known one is called Close Quarters-a wartime film about a submarine patrol to Norway.A lot of the actors were serving seamen.Available from DD.Catelogue number DD21367.Anyone know any of the names of the crew/actual submarine name?

Its a yank film but The last detail with Jack Nicholson is great
He is a typical matelot who likes pissing up, bending the rules and the odd scrap with the bootnecks.

Gook said:
I second Das Boot. My grandad and his brother spent the war at sea against the Kreigsmarine, and there is always the typical underhand piratey merchant-ship-torpedoing U-boat-man stereotype in the back of the mind, so I think any film that can make you will them to live and feel sad at the Chiefs marriage falling apart just has to be worthy of a mention.

---FLASH: WARNING, SPOILERS!!!---
Gutted at the ending though! All that time dodging the depth charges, finally make it off the bottom of the Med and limp back to the pens, all to die in an air raid! 8O And before they'd even got out of the base and done some young firm-breasted French peasant girls! :x

ARK ROYAL ( SAILING ) THE REAL STORY ROSEVELT RDS AMERICA 1977 WHAT A SHIP

whitemouse said:
The_Black_Pig said:
The Cruel Sea but I was very impressionable when I saw it in 1953, I allways think thats what made me join!

Next Above us the waves and the sea shall not have them

Bought these in a set for the old man - enjoyable.

Hows about Captain 'Jack' Sparrow of the Black Pearl? :wink:

There is also one regularly being shown on SKY TCM, can't recall the name at the mo, but Sid James is your typical matelot (tickler tin, ribbon bow over the left eye and a distinct wave to the cap) doing the cook of the mess bit, in a fort of some sort somewhere, where they are trialling a new torpedo for midget boats.
Also has Gene Kelly as your American Techie Naval Orficer who finds the problem and sorts it !!

Must have been filmed in the mid/late 50s, some Frigate (F386) is shown doing a bit of body searching when a torpedo test goes wrong, but I can't find out who she is.

Addendum (good Supply term there !!)

The film was 'Crest of the Wave' for any who may like B&W matelot movies.

Got to agree with weejock28 , SAILING is the best documentry of the ROYAL NAVY that has been made , and I doubt it will be surpassed , every thing since seems to pale into insignificence , I'm probably a little bit biased though as I briefly appeared in two of the episodes , upset me mum though as there was a bloke in the same branch as me , with same name , was marched onto the table and given DQ's ,and you could only see the back of his head , she thought I'd been to deek's and not told her , oh' the shame with the neighbours . got her on a few other bites , but there's another dit, or dit's.
Got to admit though , the OLD ARK was the best ship I ever served on . loads of good memories and mates I've lost contact with , but will alway's remember .sorry I'm rambling on again , :lol: :roll:

spearfish said:
A lesser known one is called Close Quarters-a wartime film about a submarine patrol to Norway.A lot of the actors were serving seamen.Available from DD.Catelogue number DD21367.Anyone know any of the names of the crew/actual submarine name?

I thought I had heard of or seen all the RN submarine films there were, but this was a new one on me. Checked it out, though, and may buy it for the collection..... found it at http://www.dukevideo.com/General/VHS/Military,-s-,War/Close Quarters VHS.aspx

spearfish said:
Geoff,I think you will enjoy it.It lacks any kind of Hollywood or in this case Elstree theatricality about it.It was made mid-war and a lot of the participants are from the navy of the time.I would be interested if you can put names to any of the faces or the submarines.
Cmdr Gregory's biography can be seen here:
http://www.unithistories.com/units_index/default.asp?file=../officers/personsx.html

What a fantastic website that Unit Histories is! Oddly, though, the Video box shows a T Class boat and I have other info that the Tribune was used for the movie, but the above website shows that Gregory was a Cdr, SO(Ops) on Forth at the time, having commanded only one boat, the Sturgeon. Heck of a career though - joined in 1927 and retired in 1966 as FOSNI!

Though I fully appreciate the merits of The Cruel Sea and marvelled at it in its day. For me it also has to be Master and Commander. If I have watched it once I have watched it a hundred times.

Love the music, love the scenery and lets be honest - most of it remains true to factual

dondon said:
Got to agree with weejock28 , SAILING is the best documentry of the ROYAL NAVY that has been made , and I doubt it will be surpassed , every thing since seems to pale into insignificence , I'm probably a little bit biased though as I briefly appeared in two of the episodes , upset me mum though as there was a bloke in the same branch as me , with same name , was marched onto the table and given DQ's ,and you could only see the back of his head , she thought I'd been to deek's and not told her , oh' the shame with the neighbours . got her on a few other bites , but there's another dit, or dit's.
Got to admit though , the OLD ARK was the best ship I ever served on . loads of good memories and mates I've lost contact with , but will alway's remember .sorry I'm rambling on again , :lol: :roll:

Totally agree with this being best documentry, how many of us joined up after watching this?

Das Boot & R09 Sailing does it for me everytime. Ark was a good ship with good mates :) and there were no bliddy spiltar$es aboard then either :eek:

scfdr1.jpg

Battle of the River Plate, Sink the Bismarck, Cockleshell Heroes. Bridge on the River Kwai for me sneaks in as William Holden is playing USN, and Sir Alec was RN. And one more vote for In Which We Serve, which Sir Noel based on Mountbattens time on HMS Kelly, shot in 1942 it doesnt get more jack than that does it?

Latest Threads