What's with the clapping?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Jul 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just watched the most moving of all the Wotton Basset courtages so far, and not afraid to say it brought a tear to my eye.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the clapping is supposed to be saying?

2. It says that people don’t know how to behave these days. The rot may have started with Welch Princess’s do.

3. Seems to be the modern way rather than standing in silence they appear to show their pride by clapping.

SM

:)

4. I actually found it quite disturbing, as though it was a sporting occasion and they're applauding the runners up.
    Can't anyone keep silent anymore?

5. I think I understand the reasoning behind the clapping, however, find it a little embarrassing and totally inappropriate. Seems we have succumbed to the 'overly sentimental' disease from North America... I feel a dignified and respectful silence, heads bowed would be appropriate for such occasions....

6. As POL says, it seems to have started here with Di's funeral. I think it might be a tradition on parts of the continent, IIRC particularly in France, to show appreciation of a life lived rather than a sombre moment of reflection of a life lost.

Clapping is not something I'm entirely comfortable with, it seems to come during the funeral corteges from crowds of the public, rather than from close friends and relatives of the deceased. I don't think it would happen at a family funeral.

7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

It seems to work at football stadiums where a small % of morons spoil a silence.

8. Agreed

9. I personally cannot see what there is clap about over deaths wether they are servicemen or otherwise. :?

10. The thoughless ones are the ones here who criticise, my missus got it in one they are clapping out of appreciation for what these young lads have given for us, how many of you made the effort to get yourselves there and no I wasn't there either but thank your god that someone was.

11. Top marks to your good Mrs Fink, I agree 100% and think she's spot on. Bit of a harsh dig though to be honest pal.

Squirrel

12. You've totally missed the point fella.

13. It helps to stop the morons spoiling it. The Press/News would zoom in on some ******** that had been gobbing off just in time to film some one explaining/demonstraighting what would happen if he didn`t shut up. Less people would hear them and less chance of bother.

Shame but its the way things are going :(

14. It is acceptable when they return alive, so it's acceptable when they return having fallen in battle, surely
    Clapping in silence is a powerful thing

People do what people do to express themselves

15. Well FFS.

16. They were clapping to show their appreciation of the sacrifice these lads made, what is the problem ffs. It is neither disrespectful nor distasteful. What is, is people having a go about it.

17. I think its done as a sign of appreciation I suppose,
    I think they should be thanked for being there to sse them home and show that despite of todays selfish society that some people do still care.

May they find peace and their families comfort.

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

To see so many people making an effort to just be there brought a tear to my eye, not all of those standing watching are locals, some have, apparantly, travelled great distances to be there, I believe that the clapping is in appreciation not just of those that have given their lives, but those still serving.

Not so long ago there were those on here complaining that the public were not interested, those that take the trouble to go to Wotton Basset prove them wrong.

19. Brought tears to my eyes as well, clapping is another way of showing your respect I suppose, so any kind of gesture from those people is welcome at this terrible time for all there families.

As a footnote ,I watched channel 4 news and they remarked there wasnt one goverment minister there today !!
    Shameful if you ask me.