Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the joining process for doing PTI Direct entry and how long is the wait at the moment?

FuryIsHere

Midshipman
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so here is the back story.

On Thursday (14th Jan 2021) I officially submitted an application to join RN as an PTI Direct Entry, now I do have a BTEC First Diploma in Sports and an Sports Leaders award from when I was in College, tho it is likely is not relevant as I'm now 32.8 years old and I got them when I was 18 Years Old.

I know you have to do Some tests on reasoning, literacy, numeracy and mechanical which I am practicing for and then you have to do a run, which I'm confident I can do as I do 5k nearly all the time, I'm a great swimmer so no problems there and I'm building up my strength now for the last few weeks. I know there is a medical before all that aswell.

I just want to know how long I'm I likely to be waiting to get some contact and have I got the process right or is there something I missed?

I have seen some wait times are very long at the moment because of COVID-19, which I would expect.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so here is the back story.

On Thursday (14th Jan 2021) I officially submitted an application to join RN as an PTI Direct Entry, now I do have a BTEC First Diploma in Sports and an Sports Leaders award from when I was in College, tho it is likely is not relevant as I'm now 32.8 years old and I got them when I was 18 Years Old.

I know you have to do Some tests on reasoning, literacy, numeracy and mechanical which I am practicing for and then you have to do a run, which I'm confident I can do as I do 5k nearly all the time, I'm a great swimmer so no problems there and I'm building up my strength now for the last few weeks. I know there is a medical before all that aswell.

I just want to know how long I'm I likely to be waiting to get some contact and have I got the process right or is there something I missed?

I have seen some wait times are very long at the moment because of COVID-19, which I would expect.
You missed the train.

fishhead

War Hero
@FuryIsHere Someone told the forum recently that all the career advisers(CAs) were working from home because of Covid precautions so the response may be slower than usual. When they do make contact they will be able to provide most of the answers you are seeking. As you might guess nothing is normal at present so patience and a sense of humour will be required throughout the process.
Good luck for the future.

FuryIsHere

Midshipman
Patience I have in bucket loads so that's no worry and thanks for the response and well wishes @fishhead I be sure to let people, know of any developments, so it might help others.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Have a look through the search function, someone has posted quite a bit on PTI's joining up.

FuryIsHere

Midshipman
update

Just spoke to AFCO as basically, there was an error that had to be sorted on their system, my application is now in London AFCO and I should hear from them to do the tests in the next 7-10 working days. Also the lady thinks I won't have much of a wait as there is not many people who have applied for PTI.

I keep you updated.

Adonis

Badgeman
AFAIK there is one PTI course per year,Sept2021 which in normal times can take 20. The next course, which will be filled by sideways moves and the current DE PTI crop. So realistically any further DE PTI's will have a long wait. Add into this all the stuff you have to do prior to getting to the PTI course.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
AFAIK there is one PTI course per year,Sept2021 which in normal times can take 20. The next course, which will be filled by sideways moves and the current DE PTI crop. So realistically any further DE PTI's will have a long wait. Add into this all the stuff you have to do prior to getting to the PTI course.
What, RAF??

Fnar.

FuryIsHere

Midshipman
So little update guys, I have been paused for now as I have to do the tests when Lockdown is lifted. so I think I deffo be looking at 2022 to join which is fine.

FuryIsHere

Midshipman
Wow been ages since my last update, so I have had a chat with my AFCO today and it looks like I'm doing my NSRT next Wednesday, So I will be hitting the books.

Already gone through Maths GCSE on Bitesize, which has been helpful.

Now just to brush up on everything else.

I send another update soon.

Wow been ages since my last update, so I have had a chat with my AFCO today and it looks like I'm doing my NSRT next Wednesday, So I will be hitting the books.

Already gone through Maths GCSE on Bitesize, which has been helpful.

Now just to brush up on everything else.

I send another update soon.
I have mine on Wednesday too but it's being based on education results rather than physically doing it due to covid restrictions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Joining process in COVID 19 Joining the Royal Navy 16
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J Joining process RFA 16
E Daughters in the process of joining the navy Joining the Royal Navy 11
J My Joining Process 2018 - 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Joining process Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
P Joining process Joining the Royal Navy 15
G My Joining Process - 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
K Acne treatment during joining process Joining the Royal Navy 11
G Joining process officers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Impact My Joining Process (Step-By-Step) Joining the Royal Navy 9
S medical clarification - RFA joining process RFA 1
RFA at HMS Raleigh RFA Cadet Joining Process RFA 8
E In process of joining as RM officer The Corps 6
U In the process of joining RNR (New to this Site) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
L The Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
D Joining as a rating at 30 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Joining the RNR during the 1980's? History 5
E 2021 joining timeline - Engineering officer cadet RFA 1
Dredd Re-joining - with a twist The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Aspiring pilot Mya among youngsters joining the cadets during lockdown MoD News 0
C RNR Joining Problems Joining the Royal Navy 4
H Joining up. The Gash Barge 8
Blondie2000 Female joining RN engineering apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 60
J Joining Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
T Ex clankies daughter joining up as a food destroyer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Advice on joining the RN. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
N Ratings Joining Advice - 25 Year Old Grad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
W Questions about joining Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
N Son joining HMS Collingwood 8th Feb 2021 Joining the Royal Navy 7
Waspie To assist in Joining Questions! Joining the Royal Navy 9
D Re-joining the Fleet? The Fleet 17
J Will an IVA stop me from joining? Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Pre-joining medical : where is it? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
P Joining during COVID-19 RFA 3
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Joining with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 23
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8