What's the fcukin go?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by wet_blobby, Feb 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Rehibilitation of offenders act.

I've put this in the serious bit because although funny I'm a bit miffed.

Anyone know what the go is is with the rehibiliation act is? The reason I ask is I've just had a police check back from the UK. To get a Police check for immigration purposes you have to pay ACPO (association of chief police officers) 35 quid.

Some, not all, service relatated incidents have come up on the form, although funny it's a worry. Does the old rehab thing not apply to forces personnel? Seriously, why should my police check read....

Date: ................ Offence:.................................. Court:...................... Disposal:

1991 .......... Being drunk (on or off duty)........... Trial at sea.......... Guilty,loss of GCB, Drill, Extra work

Jeez, is it a p1sstake? the conviction wouldn't of even stood up in a civvy court what with the junior ranks two can rule. Why should a civvy police organisation have access to service records when the standards are so different yet apply them as if they were the same?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. wet_blobby

It would seem that ACPO dont have a tariff for the armed forces.

Civvy shite from the same era hasn't appeared on the form.

3. That's crap, if they see it they will take it into account. If they don't like it they will use another excuse not to hire.

4. Very odd. If old civvie things had also appared then Id have said its a full disclosure which shows everything, Spent and unspent....... however since only service stuff appeared...... I dunno.

Could it be the Forces have a different idea of spent/unspent regarding offences while in.

Maybe an email to em asking why its shown and ....long shot...... email the UK CAB to see if they can advise and/or the NZ equivalent if there is one.

5. My CRB included a civvy offence from when I was in the mob (breaking the sign of the Birdcage club in Guzz. It wasn't me Guv onest) but thank fcuk it didn't include my RN record I would never have worked again!!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

This is certainly not an uncommon occurrence unfortunately.

If you undergo a CRB check, all offences ever recorded are listed whether spent or unspent - even though you only need declare unspent offences to a civilian employer. (For a DVA security Check - all civil offences besides speeding & parking required).

What is "rather naughty" is that when you commit an "offence" in the service (or admit to it), it counts as a civilian offence. So a fine stays on your service record throughout - even though it's 'spent' after 5 years. If most of us knew we were getting a criminal conviction for being adrift in the morning (ie for being half an hour late for work) in our early careers I'm bloody certain we would not have pleaded guilty & paid a fine.

Sooner or late (once again) the MoD will doubtless get successfully sued & hammered for incorrectkly applying the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  7. Where's Sgt P when you need him?

Semper Srenuissima

8. wet_blobby

Thanks for all your comments.

I guess I'm just p1ssy incase it fcuks things up for me. 20 years ago....20 fcukin years......that's how long ago the incident took place. Around the same time, the angel that I am had court appearances, official police warnings and cautions, spent time under lock and key etc..... none of that is mentioned, go in front of the Captains table and suddenly you've had a trial at sea FFS, it aint as if the old Bailey got shifted to somewhere in the middle of the oggin 1000 miles from fcukin nowhere. It's the old "March in the Guilty man".

I agree with Ninja, someone will sue the MOD or APCO. It wont be me, poor people do lawsuits because they can afford it, I'm to busy getting by. Fcukin niggles me tho.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  9. wet_blobby

You have a reply..... if I sent it correctly........:-D

10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Blobbs. I wouldn't sweat it mate. I doubt very much anyone would pay much attention to the fact you were pissed twenty years ago. It's annoying that it's there though. Fecking Military.

If i was your employer, i would be more worried about the cross dressing and mindless violence.

11. Blobs,

With a record like yours perhaps Oz would've been a better option?