What's the current state of play on RNR medicals?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Uncle_Albert, Feb 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the current state of play on RNR medicals? I've a number of people in my division who are coming up to expiry date on their last one and need another (and as I understand it won't be eligible for mobilisation unless they have one; my current understanding is that even though you get one when you mobilise, you must be in date already to be considered for mobilisation, although I stand by to be corrected). Last I heard they were all cancelled whilst MOD worked out what to do.

I've asked in unit as well (and the answer was mostly "I'll see if I can find out") but sometimes the rumour mill is very helpful.

2. If it helps I'm currently mobilised and did mine as part of my Optag. Iwas just out of date when I was mobilised. My suggestion would be that those in your division book into either the Excellent or Nelson doctors.

I do appreciate it's a bit of a hassle going in mid week though.

Hope this helps.

3. Ah, they're willing to take reservists are they? Good stuff. I shall advise accordingly.

4. UA
    the correct answer can be found by contacting SO2Mobilisation at NPT(Res). Best way to get to her, is to email your question to your UNIT Mobilisation Officer (if you don't have one, PM me), and ask your Unit Mobo to fwd to SO2Mobo.
    It sipmply is not worth getting info from the rumour mill, as you can get really screwed, at least doing it officially, you will have an audit trail when the house of cards come crashing down, and you can use it as your get out of jail free card, but more importantly, you Division will get the right info first time!
    Good Luck

5. Cheers buddy. In an ideal world I'd never ask the rumour mill, but after harsh experience I've learnt to just ask everyone I can possibly think of :)

I did not know my unit had a mobilisation officer, but I bet we do and I just didn't know. I definitely did not know there was an SO2Mobo. I shall enquire...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  6. Unless I am sadly mistaken (and I have been on one or two occasions) your Unit MobO will be the ChOPS or (if you have the luxury) your RN(Retd) Admin Officer ... who will probably pass it on to the ChOPS anyway.

7. UA
    If you PM me with your Unit, I can tell you who your MOBO is.

Broadside,
    Sorry chum, but what on earth are you talking about? When was the last time you were in a Reserve Unit? I may only have 1/2 the story but either you are on drugs, or way out of date!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  9. BS
    ta for getting back to me. I sometimes think that the surviving the last 5 years in the RNR may have been assisted if i was smokin sommit!

Cheers
    :)

10. IIRC you can have your PULHHEEMS done at any Service establishment that has a manned sickbay (incl. Army/RAF stations if Nelson/Drake/Neptune are too far away). The usual drill is to ring up the sickbay in question, make the appointment & get them to request your medical docs (which are held by the Regional Medical Coordinator - one of these is at Scotia for the Northern units; I assume there is one for SE & one for SW) so these are in the appropriate place when you turn up for your medical and fill in an RNR 16 as these attract pay & T&S. Note that you are not allowed to hold your own medical docs and these should be returned to the RMC by the sickbay.

There have been at least one Saturday where an RN MO has turned up to do 20 medicals at an RTC - dates for these are promulgated in advance so people can book and get their docs in the right place at the right time.

APN

11. There are 2 CPO(MAs) who hold and coord medical "stuff" for the RNR. One looks after the SOUTH, the other the NORTH. South is based at Vivid (I Think) and North at Scotia (I think)

12. I've heard a rumour that the AFCO contract has now been renewed.