What's the best name for a boat.....?????

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by SELJUK, Jun 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you had a choice of serving on a boat with a name that took your fancy which name would you have chosen?

I've always liked the name Trout........HMS Trout....yep I like that!
  2. HMS/M Gazunder sounds ok to me.
  3. It has to be HMS/M Swiftsure . My first and the best boat I was ever on :thumright:
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

HMS/m "Oh My God! Look out, there's a rock!"... :wink:
  5. H.M.S Everton :thumright:
  6. sgtpepperband

Yeah, appropriate name for a Submarine... it's bound to go down!
  7. Now thats were your wrong over 100 years of top flight football. Finishing in 5th. Looks like the blue boys are hear to stay :thumright:
  8. sgtpepperband

100 years and still not at the top? Quit while you're ahead... :wink:
  9. :thefinger: :sad10:
  10. DESTRUCTION, DEVASTATION, DEMOLITION & DARKNESS for the bombers, For the SSNs, agressive fish names like SHARK, BARRACUDA etc. Pity there won't be a new generation of SSKs though............
  11. sgtpepperband

lsadirty: Ref SSN 'aggrssive fish' names, you mean like what the Russkies call theirs?! :wink:
  12. The only one I can think of is AKULA (Shark?). Type 611 hasn't got the same ring about it somehow, while GLOBE, STAR and PLANET (Old FOXTROT names) don't have the same ring as SWORDFISH. As for CHELYABLINSKIY KOMSOMOLETS (CHELYABIN YOUNG COMMUNISTS) - no wonder Ivan lost the Cold War - he was spending the whole damn defence budget on cap tallies !!!!! :thumright: :thumright:
  13. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

How about HMS/M smelly, stinky, minging, bowfin etc etc
  14. BOWFIN is now a museum ship at Pearl Harbour, after carrying out 9 patrols during WWII. Would recommend a visit to anyonr visiting Hawaii - Uncle Sam's diesel boats are a lot different to any of ours, WWII and later.
  15. H.M.S/M diana dors always fancied being inside her
  16. HMS/M sleek black warrior of death
  17. Yeah...but....the most effective and expensive rock detector method in service today. I wonder for how long though. Super B was nearly at the end of her useful life. Now I 'spose they'll berth her in Rosyth along with the rest of the Cold War warriors. Such an ignominious end for another fantastic servant of the Crown. :salut:
  18. Contibutor Mode

HMS/m Muff (its a town on the NI/Eire border OK)

Diving, Going Down, Finished Ex. Comming up, Bit smelly, How long is it since you shaved? Brazilian Boat,

19. When I was a sprog and had just joined Swiftsure I was going out with a Plymuff girl. She would write to me via BFPO. She could never get it into her head that it was HMS Swiftsure and not HMS Swiftshore.

I explained several times while blitzed in the wine bar down the Barbican but do you think a pissed matelot could get through to her befuddled brain. She pushed me into Sutton harbour at the end...'spose I deserved it!

I could swim (float) like a fish even when pissed...I loved water me. Water was fun. Salt water that is; fresh I seemed to repel. That last sentence was for S Pepperbands consumption...give him something to bite on. :thumright:
    So where were the Crushers when all this floundering was going on...Parked on the Octogon in their nice blue van giving everybody the evil eye as usual!
  20. Thought the Yanks did things like that . USS Blue Fish, Yellow Fin Sardine can etc???