whats the best married quarter area in Pompey/Fareham /Gosport

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Hooly, Dec 6, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Joining soon and would like Pompey has anyone got some advice on which area to pick, with a list of pro's and cons
  2. Harcourt Road on the hairy edge of Fareham was considered quite a nice area back in the day (mid to late nineties). Greyshott avenue is another road nearby worth considering.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for answering my post. We are going for a little trip later this month, we will check it out.
  4. Peak Lane ,Harcourt road, lived in both, stay away from Rowner.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I used to stay on the Paulsgrove estate, if it's still there? Porchester side of motorway OK, but other side in the flats not so good. IMO
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ready to be corrected but a lot of Rowner is now civvy housing, I think that monstrosity of a block of flats in the middle has been flattened.

Long time since I've been that way so probably wrong.
  7. Depending how long you are training in Sultan, Cambridge Rd area is fine. I live in private housing the other side from the MQs
    Rowner is indeed predominately private now and most of the concrete jungle has indeed been flattened with a Tesco, Costa (Sultan trainees study area) Chemist and Subway where Darwin Way used to be
    Most of St Nicholas Avenue has been sold off so there aren't a lot of quarters in Gosport anymore (to my knowledge)
    Peak Lane is still MQs
    I don't know about Pompey side
  8. I stayed in hilsea for a year or two and its alright

On great bus routes and is out the way
  9. Can you get free removals for moving from private to quarter accommodation?
  10. The best married quarters area depends on your point of view.
    For single sailors it is the one containing the wives who's husbands ship has just deployed.:p
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Do they still sell this?

• Like Like x 4
  12. Guzz used to be the place where this was prominent in the '70's
  13. The newspaper shop next to the Trelawney(sp) used to be where quite a few VM's met in the morning for the stroll back to the dockyard, allegedly...........
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Most of the pro's will be down the dockyard area. Prices vary depending on which act you wish to participate in.

Cons can be found in most of the bars or in fact the dockyard, where they are pimping the pro's. They are best avoided.
  15. There is no need to 'Go - Pro', as I understand it, there are still plenty of Freebies to be had.
  16. :( oh dear this post has turned into something completely unexpected
  17. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Indeed it has. I think the OP had the question answered in the first few posts - the best answer is to visit the areas and see for yourself as areas change.

Any further discussions on the more venereal merits of MQs can be had in a more appropriate forum.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Dontcha just hate sensible replies;)
    • Like Like x 3
  19. it's not called Dog Shit City for no reason,they are all crap(no pun intended)
  20. Can't be any worse than Coventry the grey city with one of the worst crime rates in UK