What's that Medal for? British Military Awards Explained

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jan 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A staggeringly unusual, useful, reasonably accurate & informative article for the Wail. Well done!

Medals & ribbons wrong way around for the GSMs however.

One wonders whether this is a new direction or normal journalistic service will be resumed for the benefit of the terminally gullible.

2. Is the Afghanistan medal shown there also issued for Herrick?

3. They've also got the CGC as senior to the GC :roll:, I know its a minor point, but if your trying to educated other people it helps to know the stuff yourself

4. Yes.

5. Shows the non article 5 medal for the Stan, Why? we can't wear it!!!

6. It is the 'non article 5' for the Balkans, not Afghanistan.

7. The Stan one has two white and silver stripes. I had to check because it's been in the bottom drawer of my desk since I got it.

(Doesn't stop the crabs wearing it with mess undress, poofs).

8. The Afghanistan also has ISAF on the bar.

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The NGSM is wrongly labelled. It was also in issue during the period for all sorts of other excitements including the Malayan Emergency. btw 'Near East' actually means Suez but the Govt was too craven to allow the clasp to say that.

10. At least you have had one to put in the bottom of your desk. Been back for over a year and still no sign of it. I want to look like a war hero when im 60 so they had better get it to me lol.

11. I never got issued one, the SGT Scribes on the squadron let me have a spare one.

12. Took two years for mine to turn up, to be honest you could make one out of some blue and white ribbon from paperchase, some tinsel and a cookie. It would probably look better too.

13. Bugger it, I'll ask

why do they take so long to turn up?

14. One of two reasons:

1) It's a NATO gong and there are THOUSANDS being dished out.

2) Clerks and writers are shite, and forget to put the paperwork in every single time.

15. Ninja I do not understand what you mean about the GSM's. They are showing the reverse of the 1918/62 GSM but it has the correct ribbon as does the 1962...........
    If there wrong then so is mine and my old dads.

16. Cheers Jim I was going to bomb the crabs who issue them. :D :wink:

Talking of which when you get a bar issued they do not pay you to get it mounted, but troop you if you don't.
    Well they did,.. I do not know the drill now.