What's phase 2 like? (Marine engineer)

I've read multiple threads on what to expect at Raleigh but can't find much about what Sultan might be like.

Mainly I'm interested to know how the standards differ from Raleigh. For example, are you still expected to keep your accommodation spotless? Do you still regularly practice drill and fitness or are you expected to maintain the standards on your own? How differently do your instructors and peers behave as opposed to Phase 1?

Also for those who have done it. How hard is the course? Are there pass/fail elements which may increase your time there?

I would love to hear your thoughts or stories if you've been through Sultan or any other Phase 2 training in general.

As you have chosen Sultan & not Collingwood the training will be a doddle , @WreckerL may have something to add? Apparently the accommodation has seen better days?

I've read multiple threads on what to expect at Raleigh but can't find much about what Sultan might be like.

Mainly I'm interested to know how the standards differ from Raleigh. For example, are you still expected to keep your accommodation spotless? Do you still regularly practice drill and fitness or are you expected to maintain the standards on your own? How differently do your instructors and peers behave as opposed to Phase 1?

Also for those who have done it. How hard is the course? Are there pass/fail elements which may increase your time there?

I would love to hear your thoughts or stories if you've been through Sultan or any other Phase 2 training in general.
Accommodation spotless...Yes
Do drill and fitness...Yes
Instructors and peers expect you to find things out for yourself, you're not spoonfed as in Phase 1. It's up to you to find out when you're duty and where and when you're supposed to be.
Pass/fail elements...Yes, you can be backclasssed, removed from course and offered another branch if you can't hack it, or even be discharged (worst case scenario).
How hard is the course...depends on you but it isn't designed to be easy.

DISCLAIMER: Things may have changed since I've been there.

It's more relaxed than Raleigh in that you normally get free evenings and weekends to do what you want provided you aren't on duty.

You still do instructed phys with the PTIs I think twice a week. Once on a Wednesday as a sport (unless you play a sport for the base which is when those games/matches will be played) and then once at some other point as an instructed fitness session. PTIs are generally more chilled out than Raleigh though, they still won't take any pissing about but they aren't playing the whole phase one converting you from civilian to military role either.

Instructors are normally a bit more relaxed too, but it will probably be a bit mixed. But just don't take the piss and be where you need to be, when you need to be there, with your mouth shut and ears open. And bring a pen and paper.

I think rounds of accommodation occur pretty much on a daily basis, but more informally. Accommodation should still be left at a high standard whenever you leave the block however.

Drill was just divisions on a Tuesday morning when I was there. Unless you were the guard class and then you had a extra sessions with the WOGI.

No advice on the stoker course though, but it can't be that hard, it's no AE course ;)

My advice though, get stuck in when you get there. Get involved in a few sports (sometimes a good way to spend time with instructors outside of the classroom setting and get on good terms with them) and enjoy the social. I liked Sultan and had a good time there.

All the above applies but also:
You will be scored as an individual on how good your bedspace is including your ability to make a bed so attention to detail is important.
Standard of turn out/appearance you should already have weighed off but keep it going. You will be required to work the occasional weekend but not many. You will go to Tal y Bont for a few days which is a superb opportunity to try different things such as abseiling/canoeing/caving etc all weather dependant of course. All the instructors thre are really positive and enjoy their job.
Sultan is a funny kettle of fish but it's how you endure it that counts. Whilst the course may be difficult, they still want you to succeed, courses aren't designed for people to fail, so if you have any difficulty or don't understand something, just ask.
You will have some early starts occasionally depending what the full programme and sometimes they have a whole weekend of fun and frolics when everyone stays on the base and has a jolly good old time doing stuff & nonsense!

Be positive, it's just a test but it can either make or break you. The good thing is you'll be getting paid.

SOB94

Lantern Swinger
I'm currently at sultan in phase 2 as an ETME, I was considering making a journal on what I've done so far as there's not an in depth thread on it. I'll write one up if that helps.

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
I'm currently at sultan in phase 2 as an ETME, I was considering making a journal on what I've done so far as there's not an in depth thread on it. I'll write one up if that helps.
Be careful what you write. Remember PERSEC and OPSEC and don't put up anything that a) you shouldn't and b) which will get you in trouble, which is covered by a)! No names, no pack drill !

SOB94

Lantern Swinger
Be careful what you write. Remember PERSEC and OPSEC and don't put up anything that a) you shouldn't and b) which will get you in trouble, which is covered by a)! No names, no pack drill !
Good shout, I wasn't going to put any names and definitely not putting anything that gets me in trouble

Latest Threads