Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What's harder? INT at Raleigh or first 10 weeks at BRNC?

Having now done both in the space of twelve months I can confirm that in almost every way the first term of training at BRNC is a lot harder. And rightly so.

Having now done both in the space of twelve months I can confirm that in almost every way the first term of training at BRNC is a lot harder. And rightly so.
Good effort, well done, etc. Good to hear qualified feedback.

Interesting to hear the phys is harder, but then I'd hope it was for those leading by example.

My thoughts are that initial training, Officer & Rating, should be in the same location - much the same as Royal Marines Other Ranks & Officers. That way, everyone can see the standards are higher (harder, faster, longer, more intense) and respect is that much easier to earn. It baffles me that the RN doesn't follow the inspirational RM lead - what are your thoughts?

We tried, very very hard, about 18 months ago to make this happen. For reasons due to Army units moving back from Germany, it never happened.

The plans are on the shelf, ready to go.

I completely agree. For the first ten weeks militirisation at least.

Most of the phys at Raleigh is IMF. There are a few other things thrown in too but that's the main thing. At BRNC we do IMF as well but also do a couple of 0600 phys sessions a week. One of them, for the first seven weeks anyway, is a pre-able session. Basically phys with bergens and webbing to prepare for ABLE. There are a few pre-ABLEs thrown in during the week over the first 7 weeks too. So basically we do the same phys as Raleigh and then more on top of that.

Recruits get more sleep at Raleigh too! Lights out at 2230 every night would be more than welcome at BRNC. I'm generally still ironing my kit of polishing my shoes at that time.

We tried, very very hard, about 18 months ago to make this happen. For reasons due to Army units moving back from Germany, it never happened.

I think it would definitely be a positive step. The current system does work but I think a little more integration could be beneficial.

Yep, heard the dit from the Cdr at BRNC at the time. His plan was to move Raleigh to BRNC with a new build behind the college, likewise Raleigh Cdr(T) had a similar plan to move BRNC to Raleigh.

One idea was to move 45 Cdo to Raleigh to make way for the Scottish regiments upon return from Germany and centralise 3 Cdo in the South West and move INT to BRNC. It basically became a pissing contest and the default setting became "do nothing" with BRNC comically frantic not to lose the college.

Rather sad really.

I heard in Navy News and elsewhere that the idea was to use RALEIGH as the site for basic training, but keep the college as some kind of RN leadership academy. My issue with BRNC is its lovely, its also falling to pieces and feels like a public school ground circa 1900 (funny old thing that!). Great if you want to keep memories of a former large navy alive, less good for the modern RN.
I've come to reluctant conclusion that the best thing the RN could do would be to pension the old girl off and throw everything into RALEIGH and make it truly world class.

Yep, heard the dit from the Cdr at BRNC at the time. His plan was to move Raleigh to BRNC with a new build behind the college, likewise Raleigh Cdr(T) had a similar plan to move BRNC to Raleigh.

One idea was to move 45 Cdo to Raleigh to make way for the Scottish regiments upon return from Germany and centralise 3 Cdo in the South West and move INT to BRNC. It basically became a pissing contest and the default setting became "do nothing" with BRNC comically frantic not to lose the college.

Rather sad really.

By all accounts it became a money based pissing contest, and with no Army unit to backfill Arbroath, the money disappeared!

Latest Threads