What's happened to the uniform

Should the square rig uniform be retro-modernized to recapture traditional jolly jack appearance?

• Total voters
All S&S wore the fore and aft rig. J/R's cap badge was the same as a PO's but in red, same as tiff J/R's wore (and LEP chinese personnel).

My Uncle left the mob as a killick scribes and always wore the fore and aft rig for the 15 years he was in.

All S&S wore the fore and aft rig. J/R's cap badge was the same as a PO's but in red, same as tiff J/R's wore (and LEP chinese personnel).

My Uncle left the mob as a killick scribes and always wore the fore and aft rig for the 15 years he was in.

Did he get put on DBR's in the end?:laughing9:

Thanks for the information. I find precious little on the interglobalmegaweb to help with reading about history of the mob. Mainly due to two reasons. 1. I don't really know what I'm looking for and 2. I am useless on the interglobalmegaweb.

Thanks for the information. I find precious little on the interglobalmegaweb to help with reading about history of the mob. Mainly due to two reasons. 1. I don't really know what I'm looking for and 2. I am useless on the interglobalmegaweb.
Good starting points! When you understand yourself, you may find that you are able to understand others!

OSD

I am hoping someone can help me out here. I joined at HMS Raleigh in 1961 and I am trying to list all the kit items we were issued with as new entries.I am sure I saw a list some where but all the searches on the web I have come up empty. I cannot even find a photograph of how we laid out our kit for musters from that era. I would appreciate any help.

If you buy a copy of BR1938 Naval Ratings Handbook (still got mine...anorak :) ) it's all in there, but found this on the web if it helps.

a-royal-navy-kit-muster-illustration-from-the-naval-ratings-handbook-CX1NH2.jpg
Godfrey Dykes website has a section on it, google Godfrey Dykes and kit muster and all will be revealed.

Most of the above I got issued with at Ganges, stand fast duck trousers, hammock, lifebelt and greatcoat. Stuff I got issued but not on there was AGR, and sports clothing (shorts, T shirt, plimsolls). also 2 pr black boots (1pr rubber heeled, 1 pr leather heeled).

I am hoping someone can help me out here. I joined at HMS Raleigh in 1961 and I am trying to list all the kit items we were issued with as new entries.I am sure I saw a list some where but all the searches on the web I have come up empty. I cannot even find a photograph of how we laid out our kit for musters from that era. I would appreciate any help.
upload_2017-6-14_12-7-54.jpeg

@Gazunder Hi & a couple of additions to Kits 'n Dits from my Raleigh entry, (just a few months before you in Oct 1960 :eek: )

Disclaimer - All others can safely skip this post as the mere ramblings of a then 16 yr old...

A smallee dark brown compressed cardboard mini-suitcase (the large green suitcases were introduced sometime later), a brown canvas holdall same-same material as the huge kitbag, a navy blue roll-up housewife + contents including a small pair of excellent Sheffield steel scissors (the individual's name previously neatly engraved in script, those scissors lasted until 2 years ago but are probably still somewhere in my cluttered garage) 2 x long sleeved bullet-proof sports shirts (1 x N Blue + 1 x White). Then there was a Pussers gaberdine burberry, complete with button-on woollen lining, like a long waistcoat & just the job for 'pirate rig' at kids parties or long middle watches. Rating's issued Burberrys being double breasted plus belt.

Possibly only issued to those of us who were Juniors (O) ATT ? but there was also a pair of black 'deck slippers' with twee square silver buckles; supposedly only to be worn at the accommodation but they looked quite tiddly up the line in rig. Sadly, being chip & narrsty, they lasted only a couple of hornpipes after a heavy downpour...

Collars - Those issued were the newly-introduced lighter-blue colour-fast type, the earlier versions being dark blue with that colour running into the individually-stitched white stripes and thus needing a fair few washes to shift that discolouration... Providing there were no streaky patches the resulting 'washed out' & faded appearance marked one as an old(er) salt. BTW that blue, squared edging collar material of white fronts was similarly changed around that time.

Overalls? Flanelette striped B.Hatters ovies were issued, but I cannot recall if the working, romper-suit ovies were issued at Raleigh or later on at Collingwood at my Part Two, Electrical Branch, training. Besides that there was at, the NE Raleigh accomm. huts, an ancient civilian mother-hen ex-RN retainer. Quite an imposing character; short and roly-poly with a ruddy yet baby-faced complexion he was always dressed in a well-faded tight-fitting old pussers overall and wore a black peaked cap with a silver Admiralty pattern anchor badge. Stern but kindly 'twas this old Janner who set up each trainee's name stamp wooden blocks ( 1 x Black & 1 x White for the ink/paint kit marking Ex.) & taught us all how to use them 'crecklee - Balls it all up and the replacement kit would come out of your own pocket, me lads!' So @ £5.00 on a payday but only £4 10/- the next & each alternate one we were very careful... :()

It may have been mentioned but there was also that Woollen Navy Blue Comforter (= scarf) which turned inside-out also subbed for a 'Pirates Hat' wi' a tail, I can still recall that pungent smell of the mothballs it was issued with even now!

Blue Suits? Rough-as-a-badgers-aris-serge for the No.3s which were then still of the old, flap-front trouser and pull o'er the head jumper, style. I seem to recall that the Nos ones (of a slightly finer serge plus zips to top & trousers, made to measure with gold badges, with 'some allowance for growth' ) were only ready for us towards the very end of the six weeks Part One, then nowhere near the big deal that it has since become. Very few guests attended except for those of a few locals who probably only came along to see the agressive ram mascot take firm charge of his hapless & clueless barrack-stanchion handler. What hadn't helped was that the long far-too-early morning breakfast queues outside the massive wooden hangar-like dining hall stretched out alongside that poor ram's pen. What with the unlit Blue Liner he was fed and the cacophony of scores of enamelled tin mugs (White, with a blue rim - another part of the kit issued BTW!) being banged and rattled around his environs doubtless wound the poor creature up ready for his starring part on his big day!

Happy days, sigh, and recalling all that kit brought to mind my Part One lead Instructor, a PO Cox'n Jock Weir, a ruggedly handsome ladies man resplendent with various Medals inc. GS & Korea, and our PO GI Reynolds, that tall imposing bean-pole scouser who's 'encouragements' sometimes included a promised ciggy break at the end of his parade ground sessions. But the wily old git timed them just right so, having collected one for himself from each of the class, we had barely a puff of ours before having to snub it out and fall back in to be marched off at the double...just in time to be late for the next event!!

Oh, almost forgot - that obligatory block of Pussers Hard which was doled out to each of us at some point at Raleigh. Also the huge containers of Teepol were always available for scrubbing out everywhere & some even used it for their own dhobeying. Very rash.

Aside - A few yrs ago, anniversary-holidaying in ermm o_O Malta *, the OH & I visited the Sunday Market at Marsaxlokk. Away from the harbour side tourists trap stalls we came across a side street where a few locals were attempting to hawk various car-boot style items. Hardly any takers but amongst the small stalls of 2nd hand tat there was a badly-carved chunk of the genuine article - a block of Pussers Hard! Sure took me back a bit but a) Mrs. Bob refused to even handle it and b) Mr. Bob did, most reverently for old times sake, but promptly put it back without even inquiring the price. Had I bought that back as a rabbit the suitcase would have stunk of carbolic and no one would have ever understood why...

* At The Palace, Sliema. 5 Star, well located, then newly opened, highly recommended but opt for an upper balcony room, as we did, with a fine view overlooking Sliema towards the creek and Valletta as we did

If you've bravely read thus far -Thanks, and Bee Zed ! :D Now, in your own time - Go On!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Joining the Royal Navy 18
B Site Issues 30
M The Corps 16