Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's changed at HMS Raleigh since 2018?

Cheeese

Midshipman
I was curious whats changed since 2018 at HMS Raleigh? I started phase 1 in November 2017 and I came out in 2018 with a knee injury, I just got my medical appeal accepted and my afco has given me my phase 1 start date for June. I'm quite nervous thinking about it because even know I've experienced Raleigh I'm not sure if anything has changed or will it be the same? If someone who's been in the last 3 years could give me some insight if there are any changes. The only changes I'm aware are the fitness test, When I joined you had to do it in under 11min 9 sec but now its like 12min 18sec I'm guessing they've done this because people were struggling?

Drakey

War Hero
I was curious whats changed since 2018 at HMS Raleigh? I started phase 1 in November 2017 and I came out in 2018 with a knee injury, I just got my medical appeal accepted and my afco has given me my phase 1 start date for June. I'm quite nervous thinking about it because even know I've experienced Raleigh I'm not sure if anything has changed or will it be the same? If someone who's been in the last 3 years could give me some insight if there are any changes. The only changes I'm aware are the fitness test, When I joined you had to do it in under 11min 9 sec but now its like 12min 18sec I'm guessing they've done this because people were struggling?
It's still 11:09 If you are under 25 years old.

Perry

Lantern Swinger
I left Raleigh in 1969 and I expect a sh1t load of changes since then, 2018 makes you a sprog with no worries so just crack on and get out the other side :cool:

Jackthedusty

Midshipman
PJFT timings changed a couple of years ago. Bearing in mind that is a pre-joining fitness test.
You will have to do the 2.4km run in the first week of training and the time required to pass that will be the PJFT time.
By week 5/6 of training you will be required to pass the RNFT which is the reduced time of 11:15 (ish).

mick1199

Badgeman
PJFT timings changed a couple of years ago. Bearing in mind that is a pre-joining fitness test.
You will have to do the 2.4km run in the first week of training and the time required to pass that will be the PJFT time.
By week 5/6 of training you will be required to pass the RNFT which is the reduced time of 11:15 (ish).
Yup, PJFT time is currently 12:16 for males on the youngest end of the spectrum. Absolute cake on a treadmill and this is coming from someone who is crap at running. Been told it drops to 11:09 come Raleigh, as in line with the RNFT standard.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Yup, PJFT time is currently 12:16 for males on the youngest end of the spectrum. Absolute cake on a treadmill and this is coming from someone who is crap at running. Been told it drops to 11:09 come Raleigh, as in line with the RNFT standard.
I should coco.
1216?? That’s ridiculous.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Also, some of the old’ens on here, had to climb a mast or something?? And then, stand on an uckers piece??? WTF???

I’m awaiting incoming..

Chris P

War Hero
Never had to do any of the above, we must have been soft in those days or the younger generation need to harden up a bit..............:eek::D:rolleyes:

crash_evans

War Hero
Imagine failing??

I got a 2 year pass at my 38yo bleep test, so that covered me up until my 40th. There’s the old urban legend that the Rockport walk is harder and easier to fail. A bit like the urban legend that they press gang you into a branch they want to fill at the AFCO..

I’m not buying it. I do Marathons, it’s highly unlikely I’ll fail. If, in the unlikely event I do fail. What’s the worst they can do to me? I’m 23 years done..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pompeyexpat

War Hero
I do know people that have failed the walk and then the next week passed the run comfortably; but if you have no reason not to then why not continue with the maximal test?

crash_evans

War Hero
I do know people that have failed the walk and then the next week passed the run comfortably; but if you have no reason not to then why not continue with the maximal test?

This. I don’t feel any sort of peer pressure to do the VO2 max. That said, it’s not hard to achieve the levels of a 40yo man. Plus, I can run with my department (they love me making them run it every six months). Which (I think) is a good team building task, it also reduce the admin I have to do when one of them fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): What has changed – 22 September MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): What has changed – 9 September MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House bank details have changed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government has changed the law so most renters have a 6 month notice period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lifetime ISA rules changed to help people whose incomes are affected by Coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How ONS changed workplace culture to get the best out of cloud MoD News 0
G Mobile number changed while on leave UPO 4
MoD_RSS Faster access to cannabis-based medicines as import restrictions are changed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Goodbye GSI: Charity Commission email addresses have changed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: UK’s position on the Golan Heights has not changed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: DBS email addresses have changed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: How we handle data has changed over the years MoD News 0
S Have VA eyesight requirements changed? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
L Changed my mind about which apprenticeship I've applied for.. RFA 1
F How do I get my username changed? Site Issues 12
soleil Bermuda Sun: "Action In Falklands Changed My Life’" History 4
popeye123 How times have changed Current Affairs 1
S Date when Seaman Officers changed name to Warfare Officers The Fleet 3
J How times have changed History 15
sgtpepperband "My! Haven't you changed..?!" Diamond Lil's 2
C How the RN has changed The Quarterdeck 12
J call from afco today im confused ,changed interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Dependents Short-changed. Current Affairs 15
soleil "Defence in a Changed World" 1SL's speech today transcript Current Affairs 1
G What has changed? Current Affairs 16
The_Jimmy Nothing has changed... The Quarterdeck 0
chieftiff I wonder what has changed in 30 years? Current Affairs 11
A Changed Out of Service dates for T22s? Current Affairs 1
C Has gayness changed the RN? The Gash Barge 20
chieftiff How the world has changed! Diamond Lil's 2
geoffrey AFPS75 rules changed - less cash received, more tax paid The Quarterdeck 28
sgtpepperband Motorcycling: Filtering Law Has Changed Diamond Lil's 6
W shouldn't the front page be changed? The Gash Barge 2
B Things have changed History 4
D RNFT, should it be changed? The Fleet 22
M HMS TIPTOE Crew member 1960's Submariners 5
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Post Card from HMS RALEIGH... History 6
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Post Card from HMS RALEIGH... History 1
Wilts Book - Groovers On Manoeuvres - HMS Sheffield's cheeky Australasia '95 Deployment The Book Club 4
V HMS NELSON Nearest & Dearest 1
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS ACTIVE = SINKEX TARGET The Fleet 11
S Face Fuzz at HMS Raleigh RFA 18
Alfacharlie HMS Norman Diamond Lil's 8
B Speakers at Hms Raleigh Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 11
N Son joining HMS Collingwood 8th Feb 2021 Joining the Royal Navy 7
BratMedic HMS Sepoy History 0
Wreckmasterjay HMS Fearless and the sinking of Foxtrot 4 History 5
D HMS EAGLE old crew Nearest & Dearest 5
MoD_RSS HMS Audacious sails from Barrow MoD News 0
J Hms sultan start dates 2021 Joining the Royal Navy 3