What's a Walt?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by wardmaster, Mar 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been trying to work out what "Walt" means. But I can't. Please tell me somebody. :???:

2. Is this a wind up........Walt? :???:

3. Walter Mitty character.Purports to be something he isnt and spins dits to impress girlies.(invarialby unbelievable or wrong or both)

4. Wardmaster, the term Walt comes from the character Walter Mitty. He being a person who has alter egos which he uses to con people.

On this site and Arrse the term is used to identify someone who is trying to fool us into believing they are someone or something they are not. eg a reader of Commando Comics who invents the alter ego of an ex or serving Bootie and lives out his fantasy on line in RR.

Pol

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Pol, could the definition be extended to those that joined the Navy and never went to sea?? (ducks quickly smilie)

6. Feck me Jan boy that would be some extension!!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Pol

7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

To be fair to Walter Mitty, he only dreamed about being a seafaring man, cardiac surgeon, successful salesman etc. The name stuck.

janner asked
    If they bang on about being a matelot, shiver me timbers matey, get the wets in, let me spin you a dit........yes. Sounds like you know such a Walt.

polaroid replied
    The catchment area is already sufficient.

8. I must confess that I didn't cotton on what a walt was for quite sometime... ages after Uncle Albert had called me one in my guize as Nozzy Nozzer. I was a walt when I first joined RR, then I confessed in the ? story.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

So you see I'm condemned to never live it down... :neutral:

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

[janner asked
    If they bang on about being a matelot, shiver me timbers matey, get the wets in, let me spin you a dit........yes. Sounds like you know such a Walt.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

10. Thanks everybody. I sort of guessed it might be Walter Mitty, but I was trying to work out rhyming slang for Walter Gabriel (The Archers) , Walt Disney etc., and getting nowhere.

11. I spose thats a bit like a Moderator with bad Manners wanting to be taken seriously!Shiver me timbers you swabberly poxed up seasquirt!

12. Which Sailor never went to sea then? :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: :grin: :grin:

13. Poor Andy! He went to Raleigh... that's a ship ain't it.... and we all know that ships are afloat at sea don't we... :wink: :lol:

14. I have know Eye deer wot a walt is my frend,

I will ask my luvver Pam to see if she nose what one eez !

15. Oi,i did me time on the IOW and Gosport ferries i'll have you know!Most weekends i was to be found in the bar of the first IOW ferry to be open!LOL

16. As an ex wafu I can sympathise with you Andy. The IOW ferries were terrible ships, I never found my bunk space :shock: and they let too many civies into the bar area. Plus the bar prices in the mess were extremely expensive. :evil: these sea goers on RN ships don't know their born :smile:

17. Bloody right Slim!At least with the Forces Railcard it wasnt too expensive to travel.

18. Scablifter?

Seatime?

Surely an oxymoron.

No offence, obviously.............. :)