What's a "Hollywood dhoby"?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Asst_Ed, Nov 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm guessing it's a really good wash. Sadly it's not in Jackspeak.

The reason I ask is: the lads on HMS Superb cross-polled to Northumberland and Chatham for a "Hollywood dhoby" apparently!

Thanks in advance. :thumright:
  2. Spending as long as you like in the shower without worrying about water consumption etc :)
  3. I heard that saying only last month and took it to mean a really good long shower. It was used in the context of a shower on an S or T boat is (I was told) 15 second of water on to get wet, lather up, 15 seconds of water on to rinse. End of shower.

A Hollywood shower was then used in comparison as the complete opposite.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will put me straight !
  4. Brilliant. Thanks guys. That was a very swift response :)
  5. The use of "Hollywood" I'm guessing means copious amounts, as my Uncle Bertie used to make my mum a "Hollywood " gin and tonic when she was stressed. Likealways lol!
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

7. Spot on,the Jimmy on the Richmond used to get onto a certain Killick Golly about taking Hollywood Showers when the colorfiers??? and Evaps were u/s. 8) Hey not my fault if the stokers cant get their sh1t together :biggrin:
  8. And as it appears in the December Navy News:

Superb did swap some of her ship’s company with HMS Chatham and Northumberland, and the skimmers went in the opposite direction.
    The submariners probably enjoyed their change of environment rather more, not least because their time in the frigates allowed them to enjoy a ‘Hollywood dhoby’ (which is, according to the chaps at Rum Ration ‘spending as long as you like in the shower without worrying about water consumption’).