What Would You Do To Fix The RN?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by AB111, Oct 9, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi.

I've been reading a lot about how the RN is supposedly in a poor state. I have no naval experience, so from my point of view it's nice to know if joining now is a bad idea for instance, but also, it's just really interesting to learn more about the subject.

So, what would you do to fix the (biggest) Royal Navy issues & what would you prioritize first?

From what I can gather, changes in 2000 to pay & branch structures, as well as SDSR reviews in 2010, have gimped the RN. Manpower shortages, equipment shortages, changes to the Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carriers which limit their potential, lack of funds in general, difficulty with retaining engineers and removal of the Warrant Officer 2 rank, are some of the biggest issues. What needs to happen first, in order to fix things?

Thank you for any contributions :). I wish the best for the RN.
    • Braindead Braindead x 1
  2. Removal of the WO2 rank is a step in the right direction. It was an abortion of a rank in the RN that only lasted 10 years and even then was only available in a few technical branches.
  3. Sell the ships.
  4. severely cut down commitments for 12-18 months. The merry-go-round of people being pinged from ship to ship in incredible. Mostly in technical trades. Reset the clock to to speak and wait for the flood of FARADAY training courses to catch up a bit to the front line.

have a root and branch look at how people are employed on board and make it relevant to the 21st Century (mess man ffs, why?)

due to lean manning, cut down the incredible amount of admin required to get through a day. Why do we constantly duplicate work. Have admin on DII - get pushed to get that done, to be told you have to duplicate the work on the 'hard copy' in the office (someone has to print off said hard copy and maintain it ffs)

plenty has happened to make things better but what has happened that should have been implemented years ago.
    remember going to briefs by people with a lot of gold on their shoulders, WEs and MEs would complain about stuff that was crippling them and the response was (too many times) 'don't like it, leave'....which many have.

plenty of visibility of the issues are seen at the very top, but for god sake, make the easy wins now and less of the 'focus groups' doing roadshows.

The RN is a good job but so many easy wins could take place right now that would make a difference to the 'lads' every day lives on board

5. And if we did all that, and the world continued to turn, why would we need a Navy?
  6. True. but the current course is starting to force some of that to happen anyway
    when ME subamariners are gapped 45%.....

or more easy wins could be made to make a little difference to everyday work. some have been made but there is a long way to go. Those wins would cost the RN zero pounds and zero pence.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

To keep otherwise unemployable PWO(U)'s from begging on the streets of London?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. If it's good enough for the Army and the RM Corps then why not the Navy? Why not have it in all branches? We have a Navy that has far too many WO1 but technical branches, in particular, need a rank above CPO!
  9. How about, er Fleet CPO? :)

To answer the original question - close the RAF and divert the budget and technical manpower
    • Braindead Braindead x 2
  10. Purple_twiglet

Seriously - close the RAF? That sort of crap idea deserves a braindead.

These interservice pissing ccontest has no place in a serious debate.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Is this a serious debate PT?:eek:
  12. How much time do you have?

Start with elimination of the good ideas club/nugatory work/duplication and then we can possibly look at what really needs to be achieved to keep the service relevant.

I can't remember the last time I saw a mess man though :)
  13. Purple_twiglet

Not sure - if it were NAAFI no, but as its vaguely serious forum I'll go with a "maybe"... :)
  14. NAAFI?
    I know it's Monday morning but try to remember which site you're on :rolleyes:
    (Hint: this one is mostly to with nautical stuff) ;)
  15. Purple_twiglet

Nautical stuff? wots tha
  16. Purple_twiglet

Nautical stuff - so this is the watersports site then? ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. For a start why don't we shout from the rooftops when we do something newsworthy (not unlike the other two). The silently just getting on with it approach isn't helping.

During a local Gala a few years back we had an RNA Stall, you would be surprised how many teenagers haven't got a clue what the RN is or does.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I left that must have helped?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Classic example:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37503866