What would you do if........................

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by chieftiff, Feb 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Along the lines of the "where will you be in 10 years" thread. I saw this today and thought what a good attitude this guy had taken to the news of his forthcoming demise.

"When you are told you have just months to live what do you do? Andy Fitchett, 56, decided to organise his own wake and is hosting it."

Full story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6361683.stm

I'd like to think that rather than curling up in a corner and screaming "it's not fair!" I would do something along the lines of this guy, makes you realise how lucky you are!

What would you all do given this guys prognosis?

2. I'd want to do exactly what he did!

If you know that your number is nearly up, you may as well celebrate your life with all your mates - good call.

3. Read that story myself Chief and thought how courageous to take that attitude. What would I do?..big question is'nt it. Would like to think I would that the line after getting over the devastation first of course. Brave man indeed.

4. chieftiff

I think you have got to admire him, it's inspirational in many ways............................... and yet as strange as it may seem it must be comforting to know that you have managed to get all your shit in one sock so that your loved ones don't have to deal with it, and then you get pissed!, really really pissed!

5. Was moved reading the line where he says....can't imagine looking people in the eye knowing it is the last time I will see many of them....

God, that must be hard.

Yes, Chiefy...get pissed, very pissed!.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

fair play to the bloke, he's got a good attitude and I'd hope I'd be that brave.

But......I feel he's missing a trick here ....(pausing to check with forum this is on before I continue)...after having a huge piss up I would try and do something worthy like slotting B'lair or Brown or perhaps the whole cabinet, after all what are they going to do to me? kill me?

Then I'd have another piss up.

I hope he see's his days out happily.

7. This is one of the main reasons I moved out to Thailand, (even though the family weren't too impressed).
    I have always thought what I would want to do when I leave the mob, then when I retire, then I thought, Fcuk it, what if I get terminal or hit by a truck.
    So here I am, you won't find me laying in my bed dying, regretting that I didn't do something. I have done 99% of what I ever wanted to and when I can catch that damn chicken I will have done the lot.
    Do it now !! Now I tell's ya! Balls to what anyone else thinks, you only get one shot.
    See you on the beach for coconuts and Jumbo prawns yeah?

8. Wet-Blobby

Your post reminded me of a business idea myself and a work (I use the word loosley) mate thought up one damp afternoon. It was to be an Internet based Company called "Terminal Terminators". The very basic idea was to use people with a Terminal Illness to complete contract killings as they had little to lose and pay the resulting cash to their families.

Nah it would never of worked.

Nutty

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

oh, I dont know Nutty, that is basically a sound Idea. can't see it working here but over in the states would be another matter............. :wink:

10. Read an article recently (there's a link on here somewhere) about a bloke in Rotherham who said if he ever had a terminal illness he'd go into a mosque and do a suicide bombing.

11. LINGYAI
    HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD - LIFE IS LIKE A PENIS - ITS NOT HOW LONG YOU GOT - ITS WHAT YOU DO WITH IT THAT COUNTS (SO MY WIFE KEEPS REASSURING ME :lol: )

12. I would like to offer my services to the UK and maybe go shovel some nuclear waste that needed shifting, or similar like work on the boats at Rosyth to clean whatever took ten men in suits a week
    A payment to my family after I have gone would be a welcome bonus

Jack McH

13. chieftiff

I am absolutely gutted!

I don't know how many of you remember this thread about Andy Fitchett's plans to host his own wake, I found it quite inspiring as the guy just had the best attitude possible and deserved every moment of his life. Unfortunately Andy Fitchett died before his planned wake:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6430177.stm

The wake will however still go ahead, you get the feeling he will still be there one way or another.

14. Its a good idea untill nobody turns up.

15. chieftiff

Bloody hell, what downers are you on :???: