What would daily life have been like??

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mrskpickles, Apr 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

Can anyone suggest any good things to read etc, I want to know what "a day in the life" would have been like on board ships in the second world war. Are there books with actual accounts etc??

My grandfather was a leading stoker in WW2, and served (I think) on HMS Hood. I am keen to know what daily life, routines, etc etc would have been like. Obviously when actually "fighting" it would have bene different, but what about when they were on route somewhere, or in dock etc??

Sorry for my ignorance, probably used all the wrong terms! I have read some of the stuff on the Hood Assoc site which I have found interesting.

Thanks everyone

2. Lost voices of the Royal Navy is quite good, inevitable not particularly detailed but some interesting insights. I was particularly struck by some of the recollections of actions that my grate uncle was involved in.
  3. Destroyer by Len Deighton.

This is a series of actual correspondence by officers and men of destroyers in WWII. Although there is no fictional story attached, the letters are ordered in such a way as to explain the various problems faced by destroyers in the war. For example, the first chapter deals with working up a ship that's been sitting on the reserve list for 10 years, and the second the perils of magnetic mines.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Bravo Two Zero", written by RR's very own Laureate, Nails... :wink:
  5. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Try 'Lower Deck' by John Davies, who was an 'Upper Yardsman' waiting for his commision. It recall his time on the Malta convoys in 1942. Avery good read.
  6. IMHO :wink: The daddy of them all The Fighting Captain: Frederic John Walker RN and…Amazon.co.uk ... This review is from: The Fighting Captain: Story of Frederic John Walker RN, CB, DSO
  7. Hi Mrs P

Try "Roll on the Rodney" by David Phillipson and "Destroyer Actions" by Harry Plevy. The 1st looks at life on the lower deck just after WW2 but much of it is relevant to the wartime RN . The latter is about destroyer actions during the early part of WW2.

Both are excellent reads.
  8. Fook all them off and read "Very Ordinary Seaman", its gripping and true, the aurthor went on to be an MP, someone help me out with his name please.
    J.P.Mallalieu I just found it
  9. J P W Mallalieu
  10. Another good read about the Andrew set about the time of Korea is a book called "The Red Sailor", its funny as well as true to life.
  11. Jenwren thanks for that I am useless at names, my wife thingybob will vouch for that
  12. So true Rumrat. I read it soon after I joined up and never heard of it again until recently.

Unfortunately I understand it's no longer in print and it costs about a million pounds for a copy (or thereabouts).
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Was your Uncle a Stoker or was he your Great Uncle :lol:
  14. I think that calls for a round of applause :wav:
  15. Thats ok, thank Google!!!
    JW :wink:
  17. I think I will write my Autobiography, call it

The Slagg Matelot. :oops:
  18. Sorry Rumrat, couldn't find Thingybob's name on google!! I tried 'Ask.com' as well, but they didn't know either, so you'll have to admit defeat and ask her yourself!! :D
  19. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

For 'Red Sailor' try a search on RR. It's doing the rounds. I had it a few months ago and passed it on.