Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What workshop type skills do AET's learn?

08hjhi

I've applied to be an AET and passed the RT test for it, however I just want to get a bit more insight into what AET's do other than the usual making sure the aircraft is ready to fly.

My main question is are AET's taught how to manufacture parts / learn good tool skills other than just using a spanner. Learning how to really work with materials and crafting parts using proper workshop type tools such as welders, drills presses, lathes etc is what I would love to do, but I'm not sure whether AET does actually cater for this.

If this is not part of an AET's role, is there other roles within the navy/forces that do use these skills?

Thanks.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Due to the requirement to be able to trace all items fitted to aircraft we tend not to make our own parts as such.
We still do have some workshop engineering however at shore establishments that job is more civvy manned than RN

08hjhi

Thanks for that information. Would you mind breaking down the sort of skills you've learnt as an AET, and how transferable do you think they are into civvie street? As opposed to just going to work as a civvie aircraft engineer.

Thanks.

Zoidberg

War Hero
You learn basic sheet metal and wiring.

On LAETs course you do a bit more then more on POs course.

For machining and what not, it's usually extra qualifications at a shore side workshop and you're not guaranteed to get those postings.

On LH course, MEs do a lot more welding and machining. If that's what interests you, I'd recommend going ME

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
There are many different engineering skills.
Wiring diagrams, hydraulic engineering, control systems, digital techniques, pneumatics
Radio and radar theory.
System test and commissioning.
Automated systems.
Databus systems.
Fibre optics repair .
Quality control audits.
Engineer report writing.
Fault diagnosis.
Fault rectification.
Idiot testing of systems. The designers will design a system to run a set way. They often cannot see how others will use it or try and use it in a way they haven't imagined. Sometimes this can cause problems of unintended consequences and those need to be ironed out. By working closely with the design authority I managed to show how a system needed a few tweaks.
They did try asking why would I want to do things the way I did and the answer was because the system let's me even when there is no logical reason to want to do and it could be dangerous. Safer to not allow it than to tell use not to do it.

Most of these are fully transferable to the outside world not necessary aircraft engineering.

My last AE job I didn't touch an aircraft but I did most (not radio and radar) of the above.

08hjhi

Thanks redmonkey, thats a really valuable insight and I appreciate it. Gives me a lot to look into and digest.

Waspie

War Hero
I thank @redmonkey for sparking my memory muscle.

One of my main reasons as a ALAM, (thats a Leading AET in old money). When doing my leading rates tech training at Daedalus. It was the workshop phase that put me off mechanician course. The thought of spending the remainder of my career possibly not working on aircraft put me off.

I enjoyed the first and second line servicing. Deep maintenance never appealed.

(Then I changed trades to Aircrewman - why fix em when you can break them!!)

Zoidberg

War Hero
There are many different engineering skills.
Wiring diagrams, hydraulic engineering, control systems, digital techniques, pneumatics
Radio and radar theory.
System test and commissioning.
Automated systems.
Databus systems.
Fibre optics repair .
Quality control audits.
Engineer report writing.
Fault diagnosis.
Fault rectification.
Idiot testing of systems.

Most of these skills won't be formally taught until killicks course, maybe even as a PO and even then some won't be available until you're in a workshop.

I would say that the making of parts would be very limited, to manufacture aircraft parts you need a Licence To Manufacture from the OEM, with the current RN Aircraft being very new I would suggest the OEM's keeps a good supply.

Aviation parts are subject to a lot of certification and unless you can prove your part meets the standards I wouldn't expect authority to manufacture.

Where I work now we work on legacy C-130's therefore its still bits of bent metal and not composites and 'unitainium' so we can produces bits and pieces. However we still need to get authority just in case LM can charge us a small fortune for a bracket that has been in their scrap cupboard for 40 years.

Taztiff

War Hero
I would say that the making of parts would be very limited, to manufacture aircraft parts you need a Licence To Manufacture from the OEM, with the current RN Aircraft being very new I would suggest the OEM's keeps a good supply.

Aviation parts are subject to a lot of certification and unless you can prove your part meets the standards I wouldn't expect authority to manufacture.

Where I work now we work on legacy C-130's therefore its still bits of bent metal and not composites and 'unitainium' so we can produces bits and pieces. However we still need to get authority just in case LM can charge us a small fortune for a bracket that has been in their scrap cupboard for 40 years.
I see your lot have got to play with the Elmer Marines now!

Zoidberg

War Hero

1710NAS get to do some manufacturing.

1710NAS get to do some manufacturing.
Yes, I agree, with the old Sea Kings and Lynx they were very busy (basic metal airframes), same as where I work we can do most stuff for legacy Hercs (H and earlier models), however when it comes to J's then LM have more of a say.

@Taztiff the USMC is a good contract for us, will keep the Hangars full for a while ;)

Any Wafu's looking for a job in Cambridge?

Waspie

War Hero
I've applied to be an AET and passed the RT test for it, however I just want to get a bit more insight into what AET's do other than the usual making sure the aircraft is ready to fly.

My main question is are AET's taught how to manufacture parts / learn good tool skills other than just using a spanner. Learning how to really work with materials and crafting parts using proper workshop type tools such as welders, drills presses, lathes etc is what I would love to do, but I'm not sure whether AET does actually cater for this.

If this is not part of an AET's role, is there other roles within the navy/forces that do use these skills?

Thanks.
Back to the original question. If manufacturing is what you want, have you tried looking at Leonardos Helicopter manufacturers brother manufactures such as Hughes etc. rather than the services.

In the RN it's a case of they, (Manufacturers), make the parts. As AET's you fit/replace and service them.

If fettling is your thing - then I'd be tempted to look elsewhere or you may get bored, fuelling, greasing, prepping for flight with occasional weapon loads thrown in. (That said, 11 years a grubber and I never got bored). We are all different.

slim

War Hero
I am certain that even though I left the service 35 years ago that the FAA still has an NDT (Non Destructive Testing) unit. NDT was normally the grubbers (airframe & engines) domain but I believe other trades may also have been involved.
A highly skilled qualification to hold and I would imagine useful to civie employers

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I am certain that even though I left the service 35 years ago that the FAA still has an NDT (Non Destructive Testing) unit. NDT was normally the grubbers (airframe & engines) domain but I believe other trades may also have been involved.
A highly skilled qualification to hold and I would imagine useful to civie employers
My eldest boy was a fully spammed up NDT engineer with Flybe when he left the mob as an AET and got paid a fortune.

But not anymore, he's now a maintenance engineer as Flybe doesn't exist, although he's still on a good wage for this neck of the woods

Waspie

War Hero
Now you tell me!!!! I was on a squadron corrosion team for a year or so. Doing - yup NDT!!!!! Buggers never let on there was a separate qualification for it! (Mind you - me and the AEO never saw eye to eye as he had an aversion to the truth).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Knotty Warbird Workshop - Wessex Mk V Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
MoD_RSS Trilateral RegWatchEurope workshop MoD News 0
MoD_RSS One-day astrophysics workshop at Villa Wolkonsky MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Modern Slavery workshop in Honduras MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ghana Mission visit Tokyo for Disaster Risk Reduction Workshop on 28-31 January 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Workshop - An analytical roadmap for detecting allergens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Bangkok hosts a workshop on RSA to Thai partners MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Ashgabat hosts workshop on putting women at the border MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: More than a third of the capital’s boroughs attend workshop on housing for Veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Housing workshop for Veterans to be hosted by London VAPC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Academy workshop: Setting and measuring outcomes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Successful workshop on assessment of jelly mini-cups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Evaluation and assessment of jelly mini-cups – workshop MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Academy Leeds workshop: Setting and Measuring Outcomes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Data Integration Competition scoping workshop MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New Behavioural Analytics Competition Scoping Workshop MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: KITE and VAPC NE run an Armed Forces Community Hub workshop MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Assistant Workshop Manager - Milton Keynes - £Competitive + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Workshop Engineer - Basingstoke - £24,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Workshop Fitter - Coventry - £Negotiable DOE The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Workshop Fitter - Andover - £Competitive + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Workshop Fitter - Chesterfield - £Competitive + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Workshop Fitter - Ludlow - £Competitive + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Workshop Foreman - Morden - £Negotiable The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Workshop Engineer - UK - £20,800 - £22,800 + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Workshop Fitter - Staffordshire - £Competitive The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Workshop Fitter - London - £Negotiable + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Vehicle Workshop Technician - Buckinghamshire - Up to £29,911 OTE The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Workshop/Field Service Engineer - Hertford - £Negotiable The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS BFRS Course Of the Day (Ashridge Leadership Workshop) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Circuit Training Instructor Workshop The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
DemobJob Workshop Engineer required in Batley, West Yorkshire - £26,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: HGV Workshop Manager The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Bad CO Haynes owner’s workshop manual – TIGER TANK Competitions 5
Ageing_Gracefully Competition - Haynes Owners' Workshop Manual - DAMBUSTER Competitions 17
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition : Haynes Owner’s Workshop Manual : Supermarine SPITFIRE Competitions 10
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Workshop Manager The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
T Rum Ration Newbies Workshop 2009 The Gash Barge 3
S Type 45's reaching the end of their useful lives. The Quarterdeck 15
MoD_RSS SACN consolation on lower carbohydrate diets for people with type 2 diabetes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Draft report on low-carb diets for adults with type-2 diabetes MoD News 0
N best type of exercise for injured person Health & Fitness 12
slim Electric Cars Anyone Own One? Which is the best type to Buy? Current Affairs 21
MoD_RSS Strong but silent type of rig brings quieter roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £85M contract to boost Type-23 capabilities MoD News 0
Dusty70 “Name the last Type 26 Frigate HMS Plymouth”. Petitions 4
Wightsparker Type 26 for Canada Current Affairs 2
R Life aboard a Type 45 vs 23 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
soleil Portsmouth News: "Portsmouth Survivors Of HMS Sheffield Back Bid To Name New Type 26 Frigate After Doomed Falkland Ship" The Fleet 35
soleil Portsmouth News: "Type 45 Engine Upgrade Work Could Begin By The End Of The Year, BAE Systems Boss Says" The Fleet 0