Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What was your Boat ?????

Raleigh 1954
Undine 1954/1955
RNB Pompey (Transport) 1956
Albion 1956/1957
Dolphin 1957/1958
Thermopylae 1958/1960
Narvick (Spare Crew ) Malta 1960
Sea Devil 1960/1961
Undine 1962 /1964

Revenge 1979 - 1982
Valiant 1983 - 1985
Revenge 1987 - 1990
Vanguard 1995- 1997
Vigilant 1999 - 2000
Now PMU Submarines but still serving in Faslane

Raleigh '89
Collingwood '89-'90
Defiance '90
Dolphin '90
Neptune 90'-91'
Revenge (P) '91-'92
Renown (P) '92-'94
Vigilant - build '95-'96
Vigilant (S) again '98-2000
Joined FAA in '01 as a Phot and served with RAF/Army ever since
RAF's Brampton (twice), Coltishall, Cottesmore, Cosford and Army Chicksands.
Next draft is LFS in Nov :)

I am very glad to say that I was nearly (but not quite) on board the "Affray" for her fateful trip. I wasn't in the submarine service, but a newly qualified member of SBS. My name went on the notice board as part of the number to practice access to and from submarines with canoes. As I had already arranged a weekend's visit to my then girlfriend (now married over 55 yrs.) up in Liverpool. I managed to swap with a mate. The rest is history. ... To finish on a lighter note. Did you know there are only two types of marines in the Royal Navy? Submarines and Royal Marines and they both carry matelots!! ..Bingalau..

Bingalau said:
I am very glad to say that I was nearly (but not quite) on board the "Affray" for her fateful trip. I wasn't in the submarine service, but a newly qualified member of SBS. My name went on the notice board as part of the number to practice access to and from submarines with canoes. As I had already arranged a weekend's visit to my then girlfriend (now married over 55 yrs.) up in Liverpool. I managed to swap with a mate. The rest is history. ... To finish on a lighter note. Did you know there are only two types of marines in the Royal Navy? Submarines and Royal Marines and they both carry matelots!! ..Bingalau..

Marines are just sailors playthings :)

Boats, I'm not that old (really) but can I remember if the exact years are right .... no!

Valiant 81 - 83
Tireless 84 - 86 {in build then someone sent us to sea .... not a nice man I'd say)
Traf 87 - 89
Revenge 90 till final scrap in 93

Outside in 95 and then my memory gets better....I wonder why !

Ojibwa (Oh be Joyful) 77-79
Onondaga (On a Danger) 79-83

DBF...

jpl_75 said:
Thermopylae 1958/1960

You may have known my old man, roughly the same years he sailed on Alliance and Thermopylae, we spent some time in Singapore at HMS Terror later on 62-64, sorry to date ya like this...then he commissioned Ojibwa in 65...

When I was a sprog sickbayman awaiting Part II training at Haslar my DO decided I needed to be occupied. He noted that my old man was a Chief Tiff on boats so, in his wisdom, he arranged for me to take a trip on a boat. So it was, in February '65, that I mustered at the gangway of HMS/M Totem on the trot in Dolphin and reported to the Coxswain.
"We don't have bloody scablifters on boats!" says Swain, "I'm the doc on here! We'll have to find you something to do? Can you cook?"
Apparantly the killick chef had the 'dog' (something he ate I suppose).
"I make a mean egg banjo Swain" says I proudly
"Right, you're the chef!" he decided.

The following day we sailed at 0cracksparra and I dutifuly mustered at the galley (**** me! It's tiny isn't it?).
On that first day I had to prepare and cook dinner for the crew of 63. Fish, chips and peas. Got the fish and chips from fridge and then went to dry goods locker for tins of peas. Read label on the tin - Peas (50 portions).
"No way", thought I - "50 portions?? Must be a misprint!" Tin was only big enough for 5 portions at most!
"Twelve tins should do it" I decided and poured contents of all 12 into a fanny and popped them on the range.
Bugger me! Those little things don't have swell when you heat them! And they swelled and they swelled until I had to spoon some into another fanny - then another - and another. I wasn't quick enough and they overflowed. The galley was swamped in peas!! Thank **** the Swain had a sense of humour.

And that first 3 week trip that I had on Totem was my last for 12 years until I joined Dreadnought in '77. Ah! the Spithead review when no PAS boat would come alongside to get us on a run ashore! But that's another story. :wink:

Renown(s)-1987
Renown(p)
Victorious(s)
TLP
Victorious(p) (3 days)
Soveriegn (alongside)
Vengeance(s)
Vengeance(p)
Vangurd(s)
FOST(SM)-present

Latest Threads