What uniforms would I get as a writer?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Bengaboy, Apr 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im joining in a weeks time for basic training, and was wondering what uniforms I would be getting.

ie : desert camo, normal camo, etc

Also, would I be able to take them home to wear to show family and friends?

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

3. Do you think you are joining the Army or something??

For the RN you will be issued No 4 (Working uniform - light Blue shirt, Navy trousers), You will be issued with a Junior rates No. 1 Uniform (traditional Blues sailors uniform) and sports kit.

You only get camo issued if you are doing security work or being drafted out to Afghan etc.

4. Thanks Mario - you are certainly a god send here mate! So do you get to take these uniforms home?

And if I am a writer, and do go Afghan, do I get to keep that uniform?

I wouldve thought I wouldve been given a traditional green camo uniform? lol
  5. You bit. :lol:
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bengaboy: STFU!!!! :shock:
  7. How come?? :(

Im only asking as Im interested and dont know the answer to the question!! :D
  8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Okay, I'll bite. I've read back through your previous posts so I assume you're genuine. With regard to your original question, do you not think that perhaps those of us who are serving may think you were taking the p**s? I realise that you will be very proud of your uniform as we all have been, but before you think of posing in it or asking about what variations are available, earn the right to wear it.
  9. Thanks mate, I just want to make a statement that I am NOT playing you guys along... I have better things to do then **** off an entire forum!! :D

But yea, I suppose you are right, pass basic training - then worry about the uniforms :)
  10. Can I have a blue sailors uniform too?! :razz:

Just to wear to get a second look from furry things in Soho! :biggrin:
  11. The normal working rig for writers is a lime green smoking jacket, paisley cravat, evening wear trousers and cigarette in artfully wafted 6" long amber cigarette holder. Footwear is either patent leather pumps or monogrammed red velvet slippers, dependant on the time of day and/or if female company is present.
    After the sun has crossed the Yardarm a pink gin in a crystal tumbler (Waterford rather than Bohemia is preferred amongst the cognasenti.) is required for full ceremonials.
    Operational tour wear is similar although you get to wear a subdued coloured Tactical Recognition Flash and a helmet.
  12. Just for you Steve I'll try to get you one complete with matelot and full set. Shouldn't be too hard a task in todays RN :p
  13. That's reassuring as I imagined it might have changed since my day!
  14. Rig of the day is,

Berry, Pants and Flip Flops
  15. Aw bless! You're a mate for life, Slim! :)

PS: NZB forgot to mention that RN Writers' jackets are not made of serge as worn by pongos or satin polyester as donned by the grown-up version of the ATC. Oh noooo! Naval scribes wear the finest lime green shot silk. In the writers' grot it is the palest shade of green. Amongst the illiterati (the rest of the ships company) it turns dark blue and takes on the appearance (only the appearance mind) of stokers ovvies! ;)
  16. NZ When did we serve together?????? I'm honoured I made such an impression
  17. As Waterford have gone bust and Bohemia can't stand the strain of ice cubes plonked into it, are you able to suggest other, more suitable glassware.
    One must have ones pink gin in a suitable recepticle...and yes I know a pink gin should be swirled and NEVER contain ice.
    An aside: Are communication officers, if there is now such a thing, still allowed the hanky in the breast pocket? A distinguishing mark and something to do with Mountbatten I think.
  18. I'm a bit of a traditionalist and go for a Pusser's green plastic mug every time.
  19. Pussers paris goblet did fine in my day though one suspects the young things put on a bit of airs and graces these days.
  20. Yep, the perfect way to serve it...