what to wear for interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by edmundsdad, Apr 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. suit

100.0%
  2. sea cadet uniform

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. school uniform

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. My 16-year old son has an interview with Directorate of Naval Recruiting (not the AIB, prior to that).

He says I should buy him a suit.
    I say he should wear his sea cadets dress uniform
    His mother says he should wear his school uniform

who is right?

thanks in advance ...

2. I got told at the AFCO to wear a suit and if you dont have a suit wear your school uniform.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's de rigeur... :cool:

[​IMG]

4. If it helps, most guys tend to wear trousers, shirt and tie, although I've seen men in smart-casual (shirt and jumper, no tie) and they look just as smart in these situations. I don't think I ever saw anyone in their uniform though...

5. I hate ties but if it was me going for an interview it would be suit or failing that jacket , with tie done up properly for the duration.

Dont forget to polish your shoes, it shows pride in your appearance.

Good luck with it.

6. what about a pink tutu, with flip flops. and his seacadet hat. :w00t:

7. At the risk of appearing too much into pop-psychology, go with a suit.

A school uniform will make him appear still a child instead of a young, responsible adult. The sea cadet uniform will be making him appear to be leaning towards being a know-it-all as well as still being a child. (unless he was specifically invited to appear in uniform, leave it hanging on the back of the door).

Why not split the difference and go with a smart jacket and dress trousers with a nice shirt and tie? If he is going to go that route, have him wear the outift a few times so that he feels comfortable in it. In our articling student interviews, we can always spot the kid that has never worn a suit by how much they fidget during the interview with their clothes. Annoying as hell for the interviewer to watch, again, goes towards giving the impression that the candidate is still very young and lacks global experience.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yup, I'd go with that one too. There's no need to go out & buy a suit, but a shirt, tie, trousers & shoes is the norm for a job interview for guys. Jeans, trainers, hoodies, sweatshirts, trackies, shorts, teeshirts, overalls etc., tend to be viewed a little inappropriate for a formal job interview.

9. Has to be knicks and flip flops with a marigold rubber glove on the head in case it rains!

10. I shouldn`t really comment on this, but if he is from Eton, Rugby or Harrow, then by all means wear his School Uniform, walk into the recruiting office and sneer at them, this will stand him in good stead for the future.

11. Bell-bottom trousers and a coat of navy blue. Polished brass buttons. Stockholm tar instead of hair-gel. Walrus-tooth marlin-spike with a little bit of scrimshaw.

Well it worked for Higs :w00t:

RM

12. I will be wearing a suite for my interview, Apart from Royal Navy things, my suite has been used for loads of other things, weddings, family occasions and othr formal occasions. I am also 16 like your son, and I think you should get him a suite, it will make him feel proper and give him confidence in the interview.

13. A suite?? Well that should suit you then. :thumright:

RM

14. A suite with highly polished shoes

15. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Buy him a suit you tight sod, the sooner he gets a job the sooner he gets out of the house (you'll recoup the outlay in food after week 1) :thumright:

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Of course your son may find people sitting on him if he keeps still :dwarf:

17. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Combat slacks, bum fluff, Bob Marley T-shirt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Addis track suit, bum fluff, white trainers, white socks.

18. Especially if he's eating a lot of suites :bball:

RM

19. What job is he after? This may have some bearing on the ROTD (Rig Of The Day).
    An aspiring Naval Officer would of course be expected to wear a shirt and tie topped off with a suit and shiny shoes, also a hair cut (neg hair gel, unless he wants to be poached by the RAF) would be advisable, nothing too brutal just hair off the collar .
    If he went to a 'good' school then the tie should be The Old School Tie if not then a CCF tie or that of his Cricket Club should suffice.
    A young man aspiring to join as a Royal Marines Officer however should show some flair. Ron Hills show a sporty-can do sort of attitude, they should of course be matched with a pair of well used (But CLEAN) training shoes. A T-shirt (Washed and Pressed of course) with witty slogans is deemed a bit edgy, but hey it's the 21 Century and so acceptable.
    Those really wishing to impress would also have endurance sport event numbers strategically placed on their kit, you know the Kalahari 500 Mid Summer Marathon sort of thing.
    The School/CCF/Cricket Club tie should be worn a la Rambo.

PS Get him a suit, the very thought of some young thruster turning to in a baby sailor suit has made my day and the AFCO staff would all be calling in sick the next day due to strained ribs due to excess laughing.
    NZB

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just to reassure you, the AFCO provide seating, you do not have to bring your own. It may clash with the magnolia decor anyway.