Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to expect to witness at sea.......

I have noticed that Ninja has not prepared you Noobies for some of the shocking experiences you may experience at sea. So, just for you, here is an excerpt from 'Sailor'. Wouldn't want you unprepared for naval life on the great wide oggin.... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ZJyBMcx-U

WARNING: The Wardroom don't always behave like this......

scouse

War Hero
:lol: G and S and thats just the officers :wink: :wink: Skipper (Big Wilf) and the Commanders

Andrew_1980

Lantern Swinger
Crikey.. very fruity.

I've been meaning to ask, I've been watching the 'Submarine' 3-part docu from 1985, and I noticed this in the Sailor series too.. some of the officers have a reet snooty accent, like when shouting 'Fire!' on a sub exercise, it came out like 'fahhh'.. y'know the "jolly good show old chap, what what what, taking the whippets and corgis for a walk in the park" kind of plum in mouth thing.. does that still exist in the navy or do most folks talk normally? I feel I might have a tiny problem keeping a straight face if I encountered that..

Andrew_1980 said:
Crikey.. very fruity.

I've been meaning to ask, I've been watching the 'Submarine' 3-part docu from 1985, and I noticed this in the Sailor series too.. some of the officers have a reet snooty accent, like when shouting 'Fire!' on a sub exercise, it came out like 'fahhh'.. y'know the "jolly good show old chap, what what what, taking the whippets and corgis for a walk in the park" kind of plum in mouth thing.. does that still exist in the navy or do most folks talk normally? I feel I might have a tiny problem keeping a straight face if I encountered that..

Define "normally".

scouse

War Hero
NotmeChief said:
They must have been practicing for a Sods Opera, or at least 'I hope' they were practicing for a Sods Opera.:)
Correctomondo, Followed by the lower decks rendition of " The magic roundabout " and " It aint half hot Mum " iirc :lol: :lol:

Andrew_1980 said:
Crikey.. very fruity.

Probably says more about you than it does about them....

scouse

War Hero
Andrew_1980 said:
It wasn't a serious post. Lighten up!
Nice one :wink: :wink: here is an earlier post on the subject :wink: scouse:
OMG Dont suppose they have done away with the "PLUM IN MOUTH"insertion at BRNC?? as well.
PO reply quote
No Silver spoons or plums are issued, although one or two seem to have acquired one before they joined.:

flymo

War Hero
scouse said:
Andrew_1980 said:
It wasn't a serious post. Lighten up!
Nice one :wink: :wink: here is an earlier post on the subject :wink: scouse:
OMG Dont suppose they have done away with the "PLUM IN MOUTH"insertion at BRNC?? as well.
PO reply quote
No Silver spoons or plums are issued, although one or two seem to have acquired one before they joined.:

I have always found it funny when the fake "Home Counties" accent drops at times of stress. The idiots.

Oi, there's nothing wrong with plums in mouths! :evil:

Just to explain: it's an inherited trait (like pronouncing trait correctly as 'tray' not 'trait') ;) One's parents were born with plummy accents and so one acquires it at birth. That's my excuse. I can impersonate a ruffy tuffy skinhead when drunk, though. :oops:

;) :biggrin:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I was once told the easiest way to pass AIB was not to say hello when entering the board but say "Air Hair Lair" quickly.

WreckerL said:
I was once told the easiest way to pass AIB was not to say hello when entering the board but say "Air Hair Lair" quickly.

I got the impression from the BBC's documentary in 1959, that ALL Trogs had cultured accents, including you Wrecker. Nutty puts on an Essex accent just for my benefit, but the moment my back is turned....... ;) :lol: Are you telling me that JRO Bellringer was the exception??!! o_O

Astonished of Andover

NOOBIES.....

Back in the 1950s-late 1970s ALL nozzers spoke with cut glass accents and only after passing out of their training ship did they learn (being taught the hard way by rough matelots from the war years) how to speak proper loke wot you lot do! ;)

Scousey still sounds like HM The Queen! :D :wink:

Dicky

Lantern Swinger
Took me years to find out what TRYSERS were, until some young fella said that I was wearing a pair...

Bit like walking the HINDS RIND THE GRINDS.....

And SEX is what you put coal in......

Don't suppose it's changed all that much, certainly not with the general list officers from ancient naval families....par for the course...

thingy said:
Oi, there's nothing wrong with plums in mouths! :evil:

Just to explain: it's an inherited trait (like pronouncing trait correctly as 'tray' not 'trait') ;) One's parents were born with plummy accents and so one acquires it at birth. That's my excuse. I can impersonate a ruffy tuffy skinhead when drunk, though. :oops:

;) :biggrin:

Who's plums are you talking about? 8O

Pleeease Rod, young and not so young noobs may be reading this thread and totally getting the wrong impression about life in one of Her Majesty's war canoes.

PS: What I lack in that department is more than made up for by the inflated lifejacket I wear all the time, what some uncultured people rulely call a beer gut. :biggrin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Triage Call - What To Expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K What to expect from the RFA? RFA 8
MoD_RSS Fiona Dickie tells tenants what to expect when they request MRO MoD News 0
A Filter Interview coming up... What to expect? Joining the Royal Navy 0
S What can I expect day to day? RFA 39
MoD_RSS Press release: Video released to help victims understand what to expect during the parole process MoD News 0
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
N What to expect from POV visit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C [ UGAS MESM] Eligibility Call tomorrow, what can I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
L.L1878 PRNC MOD CALEDONIA May 2018. What to expect Joining the Royal Navy 18
Bad CO Upgrade Beginning - Expect Disruption! Site Issues 5
R How long should I expect to wait for my start date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Subadubdub PRNC & what to expect. Joining the Royal Navy 39
W What to expect from the interview? RFA 24
N What am i to expect as an engineer apprentice. RFA 50
TairyHesticles AET - what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Cold calling on the Recruitment Office. What can you expect. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
K Medical, what should I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Y RNP Aquaint - What to expect? Bases / Shore Est 23
dirtyweeally Initial Careers Presentation, what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Stirling Ladies We Admire: expect robust mod action The Quarterdeck 153
fails_as_is I expect this will go down like a cup of cold sick... Current Affairs 32
M Air observer officer- what should i expect? The Fleet Air Arm 36
B What would you expect? Health & Fitness 6
Jammydodger URNU Medical, what to expect? Health & Fitness 3
A PRNC and what to expect. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Rumrat What does England expect from the commonwealth Games? Diamond Lil's 16
Passed-over_Loggie Should a Pal Expect Unlimited Help? Health & Fitness 17
P hair cuts and what to expect? The Gash Barge 25
K FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD website Current Affairs 24
T tips on what to expect Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
N Drafted on to Ship. What can I expect? The Corps 32
creddly Wow, didn't expect there to be a gaming board on here. Gaming 32
U AIB cancelations - How long do they expect people to wait? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
M First 48 hours at BRNC, what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
MoD_RSS Civil news: revised expert witness guidance available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Duke and Duchess of Cambridge witness the impact of climate change in northern Pakistan MoD News 0
soleil BBC World Service - Witness - May 2nd 2014 - The Sinking Of The Belgrano History 1
SONAR-BENDER BBC's Silent Witness Diamond Lil's 8
soleil BBC1 - One Show - Wed 30 March - 7pm - Cockleshell Heroes: The Final Witness The Corps 3
Rumrat I have a witness. Diamond Lil's 11
Bergen Guantanamo Bay - Witness For The Defence Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Seawick sea defences project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Note Verbale on continued extension of the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea to BIOT MoD News 0
soleil FB: RN: Thirty Years Ago This Week - Women Deployed To Sea For The First Time The Fleet 16
S STCW basic sea survival certificate The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 11
soleil Shipwrecked Mariners' Society - Ultimate Sea View Competition 2020 - Deadline For Entries – Monday 31st August, 11.59pm! Hobbies & The Great Indoors 0
N Submariner Sea Time? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Recreational sea anglers are calling for greater consideration of their needs and better regulation of commercial fishing practices, says new study. MoD News 0