What to do with direct entry JOs

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by ginger_lad, Aug 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems to be a trend that RNR units are having trouble utilising direct entry JOs when they first attend drill nights post AIB.

I'm not sure that anyone has considered, past the stage of bringing in the direct entry route, how to bring them up to speed.

At our unit, the new direct entry JO has been put in with the new entry ratings class. I feel that this could give the new entries mixed messages with regard to where the JOs fit into the grand scheme of things.

Discuss.

2. On the otherhand much of the basic stuff is common which ever rig you wear so bearing in mind the cash available combined training does make some sense

3. Much of this has been discussed before in various threads if you have a root through.

Last I was at President, the direct entry candidates were placed with NE in order to learn the real basic stuff, and thence put into the JO classroom once they'd finished that.

Post-AIB JOs should be preparing for their fleetboard, and if they've never sat through the NE training cycle, I can't think of a better way to get started. What mixed message do you think it gives to the NE class? I think it's pretty widely known that an ASLt is pretty much right at the bottom in the grand scheme of things.

4. It probably works better if they are treated as O/Cs for this period, putting on their stripe once they have completed it.

5. I think the white tab indicating pre-FB status covers it - they're not O/Cs, they are actual officers.

6. Well, I can see the point ginger lad is trying to make. Personally I voluntarily sat in on a few NE lessons whilst the JOTO was absent on a drill night.

Whilst perhaps a little bit of an oddity, I asked permission of the instructor, made a fool of myself by not realising I was to sit the class at ease and sat at the back in abject mortification at my gaff.

I did however get an insight into the way things are for ratings (pre raleigh classes) and was even able to provide a few cross service tips on some very basic stuff.

On a bigger picture scale I'm not sure, having looked at the NE task book, how much would be entirely useful to a JO that couldn't be learnt on their own cognisance.

That said I can also see the validity for those without any basic military experience to perhaps have a tailored DE 'basic' syllabus before hitting the task book for Fleet Board.

7. A new training matrix for YO's has been drafted and is at present at CMR for approval. The YO training is being re-structured and a new task book will be in place next year. With regards to when white tabs and stripes are worn, we are looking at following the BRNC model. Wait until the CMRTM comes out.

8. Heard that before! :)

9. Uncle_Albert

i have pm's you

10. Well, I joined recently as a direct entry officer, and started off in the NE class. It struck me as an excellent way to start, especially since I had no previous military experience. I found the whole experience of the NE class educational and enjoyable, and I don't think any of the ratings in the class had the slightest problem with myself and the other DEOs in the class.

Personally, I can't understand why all DEOs don't start that way (assuming they're not ex RN or similar).

11. I think that it is horses for courses depending on which unit you are serving in. I am ex-RN (though admittedly 10 years post-leaving) and the thought of going into a pre-Raleigh new entry class would leave me feeling rather cold. I can absolutely see the validity in giving inexperienced JOs an intro to the basics but it is the format that needs to be looked at. Our new entry class PO made our post-AIB direct entry JO feel a right tit in front of the entire new entry class. Does this give off the right message?

12. Why is it a bad thing? It is a chance for the JO to spend time with the NE (just like IST phase at BRNC). It should be their responsibility to act with integrity in a manner becoming of a Naval Officer. If there are any mixed messages then something has gone wrong. The JO should, naturally, be taking a lead role and inspiring the NE to learn.

(All this will have been shown to be present within the JO at the AIB)

13. I've been following this with interest.

Although I would, personally, throw caution to the wind when comparing sessions with NE RNR Ratings with IST, I would agree with the sentiment. In the latter you are working alongside JRs on a ship, who have passed their training - giving the experience of what a JRs life on a ship is like. NE RNR class would not really do this (by the very definition of being NE they haven't passed through their training pipelines either) - although I do think that any YO/JO under training (regardless of regular or reserve) needs to spend time with JRs, and a NE class is a perfect place to become 'militarized' for those with no previous experience.

14. However, there is some basic military training in officer qualities, military etiquette etc that is provided before IST.

To shove a new JO in with the NE could lead to quite a bit of unfair egg on the face for those that haven't had the benefit of any of this training.

Don't forget that if the JO is retained, then they need to remain credible with the ratings they are to command.

15. Fair point.

16. concur with true-blue! I tried this and found they quite enjoyed it when otherwise not engaged. Throw in some boat drill and ever one is content (worked with JRs too).