What to do with car insurance while deployed

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by lgu98141, Apr 28, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon,

I am going to be deployed for 6 months in a few weeks and I was wondering what to do with regard to car insurance.

Should i just cancel the insurance and SORN it until I get back? Will I lose my NCB if I do this?

Is there another type of insurance I can get to cover?

Appreciate any advice

2. Get in touch with the insurance Co. if you cancel you usually can keep your "no claims" for a year, but this may vary depending on the Co/how many years/and how long you've been with them .
  3. I recommend two other points:

- Consider if you still need insurance on the car from a risk point of view - that is, theft, fire? Where will it be left?
    - Check what the law requires in terms of insurance now. I think I recall that just before I left the UK they changed the law to say you had to have it insured even if it was SORN.

If you do cancel, make sure you get them to send you written confirmation of your no claims situation. This will save you having to chase it up when you re-insure (possibly with another company - you do shop around with the comparison websites I hope?) as the new company will want to see proof from your previous insurer.

As mentioned above, always check, but I used to find that if you re-insured within 2 years, your no-claims remained valid. Wife and I used to take it in turns to be the policy holder to keep both sets of no-claims.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. As '86 said, all depends where it's going to be parked.

However you can drop to Third Party, Fire & Theft, thus still keeping the vehicle insured against loss whilst you are away (cheaply) and still maintain your NCB